Cardio isn't for "fat burning".

Options

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I like this thread. For me excersize is always different every day, so I really feel that keeping my cal intake below what I amusing and now resting a bit more, sore muscles etc, being a problem lately, suits me at this time.

It all became so much simpler while reading here. I am one of those who actualy thought excersize alone would give me an unfat body. Excersize makes me more hungry and I doubt I ever am calorie deficient on days I do a lot of excersize.

I can keep the whole thing simpler now. Its a great thread.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I have been told by other trainers just the opposite.
    can you prove your point to be correct?

Please explain to me, that if I ate at maintenance (TDD) which is 2000 calories, and I burn 2000 calories from cardio, I would not loose weight?

Your maintenance calories by definition is the number of calories you need to eat to MAINTAIN your weight. So if your TDEE is 2,000 calories and you eat 2,000 calories, you will neither gain nor lose weight - you will maintain.

If you increase your exercise and burn 250 more cals per day, now your TDEE is 2,250 calories. If you eat 2,250 calories, you will still not gain or lose weight. Your exercise will not "burn fat". You will stay exactly the same - maintain. You would have to keep your calorie intake at 2,000 calories while exercising enough for your TDEE to be 2,250 cals (be in a deficit) in order to "burn fat" or lose weight.
  • jessicarae0307
    jessicarae0307 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    My only point was that it's possible to create the calorie deficit from cardio to be able to lose weight/fat.
    Not if you eat to maintenance...
    I prefer to create my deficit most of the time with cardio, because food....and wine.
    But you still need to eat less then you expend...

Yes, I know. Key words here, are create the deficit.
  • jessicarae0307
    jessicarae0307 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    cloudi2 wrote: »
    Thanks OP, this discussion has been really instructive for me, and I'm sure others.

So if fat is lost sleeping and during rest, seems takin it easy, relaxing, getting long sleeps and eating at a deficit rather than excersizing gets us an unfat body.

Great! Tired of sore swollen body aches pains and joints. All I want is the fat off and not to have to eat much! Awesome. :smile:

Exactly why this type of post is so dangerous. Everyone stop working out and start taking naps.

You have to be pretty much brain dead if this is what you're taking away from this thread...either that, or willfully misunderstanding...either way, start thinking.

That was sarcasm, but thanks for the insult.

No...I really can't believe that's what you take away from this thread...like it's mind boggling....

My only point was that it's possible to create the calorie deficit from cardio to be able to lose weight/fat. I actually agree with your reply above, before you turned to insults. I prefer to create my deficit most of the time with cardio, because food....and wine. If you want to create yours with calorie restriction, that's ok too. Neither way is right or wrong.

But you're still consuming less than you expend...which is the whole friggin' point. If you ate at a level commensurate with your expenditure you wouldn't burn fat...period...jebus.

I train like a mad man...I have lost weight, gained weight, and maintained weight all while training like a person possessed...the difference between the three weight management objectives wasn't my training...it was HOW MUCH I WAS EATING.

I don't disagree with you.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    cloudi2 wrote: »
    I like this thread. For me excersize is always different every day, so I really feel that keeping my cal intake below what I amusing and now resting a bit more, sore muscles etc, being a problem lately, suits me at this time.

It all became so much simpler while reading here. I am one of those who actualy thought excersize alone would give me an unfat body. Excersize makes me more hungry and I doubt I ever am calorie deficient on days I do a lot of excersize.

I can keep the whole thing simpler now. Its a great thread.

The only thing you have to remember is calorie consumption vs calorie expenditure and the rest is noise. The two are part of the whole and the idea that so much percentage is diet and so much is activity is akin to describing the sound of one hand clapping.
  • wayneh73
    wayneh73 Posts: 39 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    This isn't strictly true by doing cardio at the right intensity you can essentially train your body to utilise it's fat stores and oxygen for fuel rather than burn off it's limited sugar stores. Also by improving your aerobic ability you can go faster/harder for longer using less energy

EDIT: And this is completely out of context as I was viewing posts on the first page!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    wayneh73 wrote: »
    This isn't strictly true by doing cardio at the right intensity you can essentially train your body to utilise it's fat stores and oxygen for fuel rather than burn off it's limited sugar stores. Also by improving your aerobic ability you can go faster/harder for longer using less energy

So if I do cardio to the right intensity and still consume energy at a maintenance level, I'm going to burn fat? Yes...certain activities will use fat for fuel vs glycogen...but that's completely irrelevant to actually losing fat and losing weight because if you consume a maintenance level of energy you are going to maintain your fat stores.

All of that is just noise and it was addressed earlier...the body is in constant flux between fat oxidation and storage...just because you do some activity at an intensity that utilizes more fat for fuel doesn't actually mean your net oxidation is going to exceed storage...it still is dependent on energy consumption.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Question.
    When one is bulking, are they not exercising? Why then do they not lose weight/fat?
    Why do they gain weight/fat?

No one wants to take this question...?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Question.
    When one is bulking, are they not exercising? Why then do they not lose weight/fat?

bulking = gaining weight = calorie surplus.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Question.

Exactly! Exercise alone is just part of the bigger equation...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Question.

But how can that happen if, like some people think, exercise in and of itself burns fat?
  • J72FIT
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Question.

But how can that happen if, like some people think, exercise in and of itself burns fat?

By the same thinking, shouldn't weightlifting alone build muscle? Of course not. So why would fat loss be any different...?
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Question.

Pretty sure that's how people burn fat AND build muscle at the same time. The workout burns all the fat, the post-workout shake builds all the muscle. And in just 10 days, too!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Question.

By the same thinking, shouldn't weightlifting alone build muscle? Of course not. So why would fat loss be any different...?

True that, though many people think they will gain by lifting, even without a caloric surplus.
  • J72FIT
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Question.

True that, though many people think they will gain by lifting, even without a caloric surplus.
    There are indeed...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Question.

Pretty sure that's how people burn fat AND build muscle at the same time. The workout burns all the fat, the post-workout shake builds all the muscle. And in just 10 days, too!

I thought it was 30 or 90 depending on the Beach Body DVD you're using.
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Aha! I knew there was more to gaining muscles!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Question.

Not if you follow the included "Quick Start" pamphlet. You can drop a dress size in 7-10 days!
  • Gamliela
    Options
    Lol!
  • jacksonpt
    edited March 2016
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Question.

Not if you follow the included "Quick Start" pamphlet. You can drop a dress size in 7-10 days!

I don't think I got that with my order. Does it talk about how to make my muscles longer? I'll have to email my coach...