Cardio isn't for "fat burning".

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    What about aerobic cardio like this Jane Fonda DVDs? I honestly thought if you exercize you burn calories.. And that leads to losing fat.. Guess times have changed lol!

Jane Fonda is on DVD now? Wow, that stuff was tired and old when it was on Beta and VHS.
    Wasn't there a time that it was on 8mm? :D

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Okay, then if Cardio isn't for fat burning what exercise do you recommend?

Doing fewer fork pickups, aka Eating in a deficit.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    minizebu wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Cardio burns more calories that anaerobic exercise, but again without a calorie deficit (with the exception of recomp), the body will retain fat.
    If one's TDEE is say 2000 and they eat 2000, they would NOT lose fat. Reduce intake by 250 calories and fat loss will happen. The body usually has to be in deficit to lose fat.

@ninerbuff Yes, I understand how normal weight loss happens "Reduce intake...and fat loss will happen."

What I am confused by is your statement above: "(with the exception of recomp)". What exactly is the exception of recomp?

Why do you say "The body usually has to be in deficit to lose fat."

I was under the impression that the body always has to be in a deficit to lose fat. And yet, I was also under the (mistaken?) impression that when people are recomping, they eat at TDEE. Another poster indicated above that people who are recomping don't eat at TDEE, but instead eat 100 calories under or something like that. What I'm having trouble understanding is your statements, because they seem to contradict that. Am I being dense here?

Could you please explain what you understand recomposition to be exactly and how it works, because the way you have worded things has me confused.
    There are threads here on recomp written by people I respect in the community:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1320139/12-weeks-with-sidesteel

The thing with recomp is that it's a LONG process. May take a year or more to see any results. IMO, one should only recomp if they are down to say 15% for a male/21% for a female and are still trying to put on muscle while losing fat. If one is well over those percentages, and want to get lean more than put on muscle, then lean out first and just retain the muscle you currently have.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I do cardio because I love it, enjoy it and have become a better person...
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    But I thought that plexus was the only thing that burned fat!!
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I don't do cardio for fat loss, I do it so I can eat more, lol.
  • jessicarae0307
    jessicarae0307 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

[/quote]
    If one's TDEE is say 2000 and they eat 2000, they would NOT lose fat. Reduce intake by 250 calories and fat loss will happen. The body usually has to be in deficit to lose fat.
    [/quote]

If that same person who's TDEE is 2000, ate 2000 calories, and burned 500 calories doing cardio....would they lose fat?

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

If that same person who's TDEE is 2000, ate 2000 calories, and burned 500 calories doing cardio....would they lose fat?

[/quote]

why is that even a question ....?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    What about aerobic cardio like this Jane Fonda DVDs? I honestly thought if you exercize you burn calories.. And that leads to losing fat.. Guess times have changed lol!

Jane Fonda is on DVD now? Wow, that stuff was tired and old when it was on Beta and VHS.

New DVDs, like this version did not exist when Beta and VHS existed

Wait, she's still making videos? :confounded:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    minizebu wrote: »
    Cardio burns more calories that anaerobic exercise, but again without a calorie deficit (with the exception of recomp), the body will retain fat.

@ninerbuff Yes, I understand how normal weight loss happens "Reduce intake...and fat loss will happen."

What I am confused by is your statement above: "(with the exception of recomp)". What exactly is the exception of recomp?

Why do you say "The body usually has to be in deficit to lose fat."

I was under the impression that the body always has to be in a deficit to lose fat. And yet, I was also under the (mistaken?) impression that when people are recomping, they eat at TDEE. Another poster indicated above that people who are recomping don't eat at TDEE, but instead eat 100 calories under or something like that. What I'm having trouble understanding is your statements, because they seem to contradict that. Am I being dense here?

Could you please explain what you understand recomposition to be exactly and how it works, because the way you have worded things has me confused.
    There are threads here on recomp written by people I respect in the community:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1320139/12-weeks-with-sidesteel

The thing with recomp is that it's a LONG process. May take a year or more to see any results. IMO, one should only recomp if they are down to say 15% for a male/21% for a female and are still trying to put on muscle while losing fat. If one is well over those percentages, and want to get lean more than put on muscle, then lean out first and just retain the muscle you currently have.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

And I will add to this my personal experience with re-comp...keeping in mind that I don't log so it's likely there are days that I'm in a deficit and days that I'm in a surplus, etc...but essentially three years ago I was 180 Lbs and 12% BF...three years later I'm 185 Lbs and 12% BF and currently cutting to get to 10%...which will likely put me back down to 180ish.

So three years to weigh the same but be 2% leaner with about 5Lbs more muscle mass...results are slow relative to the amount of mass that can be put on in a surplus and the amount of fat that can be cut in a deliberate cut.

Fortunately, my focus hasn't really been on re-comp in and of itself because it's likely that I would be bat *kitten* crazy by now...I see it more as a bi-product of just focusing on my fitness and lifting and good livin' in general.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Wasn't there a time that it was on 8mm? :D

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I think you mean "Barberella"! :lol:
  • jessicarae0307
    jessicarae0307 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

[/quote]

why is that even a question ....? [/quote]

Because this whole thread is making it sound like cardio won't make you lose fat, but in that case if the only thing that person changed was adding cardio, they would lose fat. It's misleading. Of course you can lose weight/fat without exercising at all.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Because this whole thread is making it sound like cardio won't make you lose fat, but in that case if the only thing that person changed was adding cardio, they would lose fat. It's misleading. Of course you can lose weight/fat without exercising at all. [/quote]

in your example you used cardio to create a calorie deficit....which, is what this thread is about, you need a calorie deficit to lose fat.

Most people are not going to want to run five to six miles a day to burn off 500 calories....I know I don't want to do that...
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Because this whole thread is making it sound like cardio won't make you lose fat, but in that case if the only thing that person changed was adding cardio, they would lose fat. It's misleading. Of course you can lose weight/fat without exercising at all.

The point that was made in the OP is that many people believe that regardless of what you eat, doing cardio makes your body burn fat. This is preached in women's magazines, in the advertising for workout programs, etc. But it's not true. Being in a deficit makes you lose fat over time, whether that deficit comes entirely from what you eat or from doing exercise or whatever.

I remember doing long cardio workouts and honestly believing the fat was literally melting from all that effort! Live and learn :)
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

It's not misleading. The OP specifically said that cardio will help create a calorie deficit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Because this whole thread is making it sound like cardio won't make you lose fat, but in that case if the only thing that person changed was adding cardio, they would lose fat. It's misleading. Of course you can lose weight/fat without exercising at all. [/quote]

Because here's what generally happens...and I see it day in and day out over years in and out of the gym...people exercise thinking it's going to burn fat and they'll lose weight...they never do...there bodies never change...they look the same today as they did months and even years ago...why? Because they don't pay attention to their diets and are under the impression that exercise is what's going to result in losing weight and burning the fat...that's why this thread is focusing on consumption.

To that end, it's a lot more efficient and just plain easier to build one's deficit into their diet...exercise, even with people who regularly exercise can be inconsistent...*kitten* happens...workouts are missed...not every workout burns 500 calories, etc...trying to create a deficit with just exercise is extremely inefficient and generally ineffective for the vast majority of people.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

If that person's TDEE was 2000 kcal without exercise, and they ate 2000 kcal, they would maintain their weight. 2000 eaten - 2000 burned = 0 = energy balance.

If that person then starts burning 500 kcal through exercise and they kept eating 2000 kcal they would lose weight. The reason is that their TDEE is now 2500 kcal. They increased their TDEE with exercise. 2000 eaten - 2000 burned - extra 500 burned = -500 = energy deficit.

If, however, you are saying the person has a TDEE of 2000 kcal (including the 500kcal of exercise, that is, their TDEE before exercise is 1500 kcal), and they eat 2000 kcal, then, again they would maintain their weight. 2000 eaten - 1500 burned - extra 500 burned = 0 = energy balance.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    lizlemon4 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    People these days eat straight up crap. Chips, soda, hot dogs, McDonald's, and everything else. Never a veggie or a fruit oh how about some old fashioned water and a good run around the block. Take account for the things you consume or they will consume you with obesity and disease.

so 100% of people eat this way?????????? How do you know this? Have you studied the eating habits of every person on the planet?

go to a super market for any length of time. watch people. youll see.

Lots of people shop at grocery stores. Do you spy on their purchases and make judgements?

YES! lol i am not ashamed.

http://www.theonion.com/article/woman-a-leading-authority-on-what-shouldnt-be-in-p-35922
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

why is that even a question ....?

Because here's what generally happens...and I see it day in and day out over years in and out of the gym...people exercise thinking it's going to burn fat and they'll lose weight...they never do...there bodies never change...they look the same today as they did months and even years ago...why? Because they don't pay attention to their diets and are under the impression that exercise is what's going to result in losing weight and burning the fat...that's why this thread is focusing on consumption.

To that end, it's a lot more efficient and just plain easier to build one's deficit into their diet...exercise, even with people who regularly exercise can be inconsistent...*kitten* happens...workouts are missed...not every workout burns 500 calories, etc...trying to create a deficit with just exercise is extremely inefficient and generally ineffective for the vast majority of people.[/quote]

Not to mention that a lot just never train progressively so they never progress since they are just burning calories, which they might eat back completely. Not that it's still not good for health benefits but if you want to lose weight and look better then you need to have your diet and traning planned out better.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Thanks OP, this discussion has been really instructive for me, and I'm sure others.

So if fat is lost sleeping and during rest, seems takin it easy, relaxing, getting long sleeps and eating at a deficit rather than excersizing gets us an unfat body.

Great! Tired of sore swollen body aches pains and joints. All I want is the fat off and not to have to eat much! Awesome. :smile: