queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    lizlemon4 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    People these days eat straight up crap. Chips, soda, hot dogs, McDonald's, and everything else. Never a veggie or a fruit oh how about some old fashioned water and a good run around the block. Take account for the things you consume or they will consume you with obesity and disease.

so 100% of people eat this way?????????? How do you know this? Have you studied the eating habits of every person on the planet?

go to a super market for any length of time. watch people. youll see.

Lots of people shop at grocery stores. Do you spy on their purchases and make judgements?

YES! lol i am not ashamed.

http://www.theonion.com/article/woman-a-leading-authority-on-what-shouldnt-be-in-p-35922

Lol
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Because here's what generally happens...and I see it day in and day out over years in and out of the gym...people exercise thinking it's going to burn fat and they'll lose weight...they never do...there bodies never change...they look the same today as they did months and even years ago...why? Because they don't pay attention to their diets and are under the impression that exercise is what's going to result in losing weight and burning the fat...that's why this thread is focusing on consumption.

To that end, it's a lot more efficient and just plain easier to build one's deficit into their diet...exercise, even with people who regularly exercise can be inconsistent...*kitten* happens...workouts are missed...not every workout burns 500 calories, etc...trying to create a deficit with just exercise is extremely inefficient and generally ineffective for the vast majority of people.

Right. It's not about what is actually happening, it's about the approach/mindset.

/thread
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Hey There @ninerbuff great post. I can vouch for it. I exercise daily, but I also ate too many calories as a whole for about 6 months...guess what. No fat burned, no weight lost. In fact, I gained 15lbs. However, my lung capacity improved.

I lost 35lbs on MFP eating at a calorie deficit before I ever exercised at all...and you know what. I lost a lot of weight but I couldn't even jog for 5 minutes. Now I can run for several miles but I'm still about 6lbs heavier than my lowest, post MFP weight.

If you aren't doing well in the kitchen the gym will have little impact on your fat.
  • jessicarae0307
    jessicarae0307 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    cloudi2 wrote: »
    Thanks OP, this discussion has been really instructive for me, and I'm sure others.

So if fat is lost sleeping and during rest, seems takin it easy, relaxing, getting long sleeps and eating at a deficit rather than excersizing gets us an unfat body.

Great! Tired of sore swollen body aches pains and joints. All I want is the fat off and not to have to eat much! Awesome. :smile:

Exactly why this type of post is so dangerous. Everyone stop working out and start taking naps.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    All exercise is mainly just for building lean body mass. Too much cardio hinders fat loss because it increases your hunger hormones.

Calorie deficit for fat loss.

Exercise for building lean body mass, mostly resistance training.

Cardio only if it's fun and for health, not too much though.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Thanks OP, this discussion has been really instructive for me, and I'm sure others.

So if fat is lost sleeping and during rest, seems takin it easy, relaxing, getting long sleeps and eating at a deficit rather than excersizing gets us an unfat body.

Great! Tired of sore swollen body aches pains and joints. All I want is the fat off and not to have to eat much! Awesome. :smile:

Exactly why this type of post is so dangerous. Everyone stop working out and start taking naps.

Is that really what you've gotten from this thread? Really?
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

This seems to me to be willful misunderstanding. Adults should be able to have adult conversations and discuss matters that interest them without worrying that the topic is "dangerous."

Perhaps a more valuable takeaway is that getting sufficient sleep is important.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    minizebu wrote: »
    Cardio burns more calories that anaerobic exercise, but again without a calorie deficit (with the exception of recomp), the body will retain fat.
    If one's TDEE is say 2000 and they eat 2000, they would NOT lose fat. Reduce intake by 250 calories and fat loss will happen. The body usually has to be in deficit to lose fat.

@ninerbuff Yes, I understand how normal weight loss happens "Reduce intake...and fat loss will happen."

What I am confused by is your statement above: "(with the exception of recomp)". What exactly is the exception of recomp?

Why do you say "The body usually has to be in deficit to lose fat."

I was under the impression that the body always has to be in a deficit to lose fat. And yet, I was also under the (mistaken?) impression that when people are recomping, they eat at TDEE. Another poster indicated above that people who are recomping don't eat at TDEE, but instead eat 100 calories under or something like that. What I'm having trouble understanding is your statements, because they seem to contradict that. Am I being dense here?

Could you please explain what you understand recomposition to be exactly and how it works, because the way you have worded things has me confused.
    There are threads here on recomp written by people I respect in the community:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1320139/12-weeks-with-sidesteel

The thing with recomp is that it's a LONG process. May take a year or more to see any results. IMO, one should only recomp if they are down to say 15% for a male/21% for a female and are still trying to put on muscle while losing fat. If one is well over those percentages, and want to get lean more than put on muscle, then lean out first and just retain the muscle you currently have.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Thanks. Actually, I was searching around on the internet to try to understand recomposition better and found this article:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html/

He seems to believe that recomposition is indeed possible, but contrary to your suggestion of recomping only at 15% bodyfat for males or 21% bodyfat for females, he says that recomposition is really only likely to be successful in two very specific populations:

1) the overfat beginner and
    2) previously lean and muscular individuals who have gotten fat and are trying to get back into shape

He indicates that people who are already lean or well trained are very unlikely to experience recomposition.

Edited: I guess this was misreading on my part. I think that I am conflating "adding muscle while losing fat" (the title of this article) with "recomposition". Perhaps these are different things? I've clicked around his site now and it seems the whole thing is about achieving recomposition in the very population he says it won't work for in this article: already lean individuals. I guess the whole site is a pitch to sell his special diet which is aimed directly at the 15% bodyfat male and the 21% bodyfat female.

My bad. I should have read more and researched more before posting. But, in the end I think the take away that I've come away with isn't much different from my previous understanding: Stay in a deficit to lose fat/weight. Get into a surplus to gain muscle/weight. Doing both at the same time might not be impossible, but it ain't easy.
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    very helpful thread. Gave me something to think about. I mostly strength train, but I do about 30 minutes of cardio each session. I ate at TDEE for months and lost NOTHING. Once I dropped my calories (to a deficit)- the weight began to come off
  • jessicarae0307
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

This seems to me to be willful misunderstanding. Adults should be able to have adult conversations and discuss matters that interest them without worrying that the topic is "dangerous."

It's dangerous because in the case of the poster above, they now believe that exercising is not worthwhile.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

It's dangerous because in the case of the poster above, they now believe that exercising is not worthwhile.

Are you a mind reader or something? Wow, you're good
  • jessicarae0307
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Are you a mind reader or something? Wow, you're good

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

You have to be pretty much brain dead if this is what you're taking away from this thread...either that, or willfully misunderstanding...either way, start thinking.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Please don't feed the troll.
  • jessicarae0307
    Options

You have to be pretty much brain dead if this is what you're taking away from this thread...either that, or willfully misunderstanding...either way, start thinking.

That was sarcasm, but thanks for the insult.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    BobJ19956 wrote: »
    I am not following this whole discussion. I currently weigh 200 lbs. Supposedly my daily calorie need to maintain this weight (without exercise) is about 2600 calories. That essentially is just to breath and function. I decide to watch my calories and strive to take in just 2000 calories per day ... a deficit of 600. That by itself should lead to weight loss. BUT I also throw in 60 minutes of daily cardio exercise which burns an additional 500 calories. I do not eat back my exercise calories. This makes my total daily deficit 1100 calories. One could argue that this deficit is too much, BUT how can one say that the added cardio exercise is not going to increase your weight loss?
    Because if you ate to maintenance you would not burn any fat regardless of exercise. It is only when you are in a caloric deficit that you burn stored body fat.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Cardio is done to improve cardio vascular fitness and burn calories. It will HELP with a calorie deficit and for some that do a lot of cardio, allow one to eat more versus someone at the same weight who does little or no cardio at all.
    Like all other physical activity, GLYCOGEN will be the first thing burned before fat is even touched (ratio will vary more to fat if duration extended and/or intensity is lower) so the addage that one needs to do cardio to burn fat is a myth. You burn fat with a calorie deficit. Don't believe it? Do whatever cardio you want, but eat your TDEE. You'll more likely keep the same bodyfat percentage if you keep doing that.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Okay, then if Cardio isn't for fat burning what exercise do you recommend?
    There AREN'T any "fat burning" exercises. Exercise is for fitness and health. How you lose fat is based more on CICO than how much or how one works out. You can improve muscle and muscle tone, but exercise doesn't directly burn off excess fat tissue the way people think it does. That's why "spot reduction" doesn't exist.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    There AREN'T any "fat burning" exercises. Exercise is for fitness and health. How you lose fat is based more on CICO than how much or how one works out. You can improve muscle and muscle tone, but exercise doesn't directly burn off excess fat tissue the way people think it does. That's why "spot reduction" doesn't exist.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Aren't you just contracting your self?
    You said "You burn fat with a calorie deficit"
    Then you said, " How you lose fat is based more on CICO "

Now doesn't cardio burn Calories?
    If yes, doesn't that mean then CI < CO + Cardio and isn't that what you said at the begging?

Look dude. I don't know your point
    but I know that there are people out there who spent 2hrs a day doing cardio and loosing weight and looks great.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Cardio is done to improve cardio vascular fitness and burn calories. It will HELP with a calorie deficit and for some that do a lot of cardio, allow one to eat more versus someone at the same weight who does little or no cardio at all.
    Like all other physical activity, GLYCOGEN will be the first thing burned before fat is even touched (ratio will vary more to fat if duration extended and/or intensity is lower) so the addage that one needs to do cardio to burn fat is a myth. You burn fat with a calorie deficit. Don't believe it? Do whatever cardio you want, but eat your TDEE. You'll more likely keep the same bodyfat percentage if you keep doing that.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Aren't you just contracting your self?
    You said "You burn fat with a calorie deficit"
    Then you said, " How you lose fat is based more on CICO "

Now doesn't cardio burn Calories?
    If yes, doesn't that mean then CI < CO + Cardio and isn't that what you said at the begging?

Look dude. I don't know your point
    but I know that there are people out there who spent 2hrs a day doing cardio and loosing weight and looks great.
    Because they are in a caloric deficit. If they ate to maintenance they would not lose fat, regardless of exercise...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options

That was sarcasm, but thanks for the insult.

No...I really can't believe that's what you take away from this thread...like it's mind boggling....
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

I suppose no one should post anything because someone, somewhere, could misunderstand the subject and be worse off for it.
    You should possibly stop posting because now someone might be afraid that posts about how exercise works can literally show up at their house and pistol whip them.