Cardio isn't for "fat burning".

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    cloudi2 wrote: »
    Thanks OP, this discussion has been really instructive for me, and I'm sure others.

So if fat is lost sleeping and during rest, seems takin it easy, relaxing, getting long sleeps and eating at a deficit rather than excersizing gets us an unfat body.

Great! Tired of sore swollen body aches pains and joints. All I want is the fat off and not to have to eat much! Awesome. :smile:

Exactly why this type of post is so dangerous. Everyone stop working out and start taking naps.

This seems to me to be willful misunderstanding. Adults should be able to have adult conversations and discuss matters that interest them without worrying that the topic is "dangerous."

Perhaps a more valuable takeaway is that getting sufficient sleep is important.

It's dangerous because in the case of the poster above, they now believe that exercising is not worthwhile.

i see we have now crossed over into the land of the ridiculousness...
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I like this as people don't believe me
    Wife's ex is large goes to gym and gives up as no weight loss but still stuffs junk all day

• jessicarae0307
    jessicarae0307 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Thanks OP, this discussion has been really instructive for me, and I'm sure others.

So if fat is lost sleeping and during rest, seems takin it easy, relaxing, getting long sleeps and eating at a deficit rather than excersizing gets us an unfat body.

Great! Tired of sore swollen body aches pains and joints. All I want is the fat off and not to have to eat much! Awesome. :smile:

Exactly why this type of post is so dangerous. Everyone stop working out and start taking naps.

You have to be pretty much brain dead if this is what you're taking away from this thread...either that, or willfully misunderstanding...either way, start thinking.

That was sarcasm, but thanks for the insult.

No...I really can't believe that's what you take away from this thread...like it's mind boggling....

My only point was that it's possible to create the calorie deficit from cardio to be able to lose weight/fat. I actually agree with your reply above, before you turned to insults. I prefer to create my deficit most of the time with cardio, because food....and wine. If you want to create yours with calorie restriction, that's ok too. Neither way is right or wrong.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

You have to be pretty much brain dead if this is what you're taking away from this thread...either that, or willfully misunderstanding...either way, start thinking.

No...I really can't believe that's what you take away from this thread...like it's mind boggling....

My only point was that it's possible to create the calorie deficit from cardio to be able to lose weight/fat. I actually agree with your reply above, before you turned to insults. I prefer to create my deficit most of the time with cardio, because food....and wine. If you want to create yours with calorie restriction, that's ok too. Neither way is right or wrong.

Actually, both ways are right, neither is wrong. ;)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Actually, both ways are right, neither is wrong. ;)

And both ways were described in the OP, but somehow it's wrong and horrible.
  • ndj1979
    Options

so after multiple posts you basically agree with OP?
  • jessicarae0307
    jessicarae0307 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sorry, it wasn't so much the OP, but some of the posts after. You guys enjoy the rest of your day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

But you're still consuming less than you expend...which is the whole friggin' point. If you ate at a level commensurate with your expenditure you wouldn't burn fat...period...jebus.

I train like a mad man...I have lost weight, gained weight, and maintained weight all while training like a person possessed...the difference between the three weight management objectives wasn't my training...it was HOW MUCH I WAS EATING.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    [/quote]
    Because they are in a caloric deficit. If they ate to maintenance they would not lose fat, regardless of exercise...[/quote]

Are you suggesting/stating that exercise (or cardio) does not does not increase the calories out?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    My only point was that it's possible to create the calorie deficit from cardio to be able to lose weight/fat.
    Not if you eat to maintenance...
    I prefer to create my deficit most of the time with cardio, because food....and wine.
    But you still need to eat less then you expend...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Are you suggesting/stating that exercise (or cardio) does not does not increase the calories out?
    f course it increases calories out. That said, if you eat to maintenance you will not lose fat. At the end of the day, regardless of exercise, you need to eat less then you expend...
  • J72FIT
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Question.
    When one is bulking, are they not exercising? Why then do they not lose weight/fat?
    Why do they gain weight/fat?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

But you're still consuming less than you expend...which is the whole friggin' point. If you ate at a level commensurate with your expenditure you wouldn't burn fat...period...jebus.

I train like a mad man...I have lost weight, gained weight, and maintained weight all while training like a person possessed...the difference between the three weight management objectives wasn't my training...it was HOW MUCH I WAS EATING.

Ok, I'm confused did you add more cardio or just sleep more? I wish you would be more clear. ;)
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    I have been told by other trainers just the opposite.
    can you prove your point to be correct?

Please explain to me, that if I ate at maintenance (TDD) which is 2000 calories, and I burn 2000 calories from cardio, I would not loose weight?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Because they are in a caloric deficit. If they ate to maintenance they would not lose fat, regardless of exercise...

No one is even remotely claiming that. It says "eat at maintenance". Does someone actually need to explain to you what that means?
  • ndj1979
    Options

Please explain to me, that if I ate at maintenance (TDD) which is 2000 calories, and I burn 2000 calories from cardio, I would not loose weight?

you would be miserable netting zero calories, but yes you would lose weight.

good luck burning 2000 calories a day using straight cardio ...

• J72FIT
    edited March 2016
    Options

If you're bmr is 2000 cals and you do 2000 cals worth of cardio, maintenance is 4000 cals. If you eat 4000 cals (maintenance), you will not lose weight/fat.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Terminology is important here. If you ate at maintenance for a particular activity level then you add exercise on top of that you are now in a deficit. So you are confusing the terms I believe.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

If my TDEE is 3,000 calories....that means I'm burning 3,000 calories...that's everything...that's my BMR...my NEAT...my exercise...everything. If I burn 3,000 calories and I consume 3,000 calories...that's called break even...that's called maintaining. If I increase my exercise so that my TDEE is 3,500 calories and also consume 3,500 calories...guess what? Maintaining. If My TDEE is 3,500 calories and I'm still eating 3,000...well...then I'm consuming less energy than I'm expending...which is the entire point of this entire thing and I'm seriously baffled how something so simple can be so hard to understand.

LOSING WEIGHT REQUIRES YOU TO CONSUME LESS ENERGY THAN YOU ARE EXPENDING.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited March 2016
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

you would be miserable netting zero calories, but yes you would lose weight.

good luck burning 2000 calories a day using straight cardio ...

I've done it but depends how you do it. For many people you would need to run/walk between a half marathon and a marathon distance depending on your weight and your mix of activities. Yeah, it generally sucks to go over 1000 or so in cardio in a day.