kimny72 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Question.
    When one is bulking, are they not exercising? Why then do they not lose weight/fat?
    Why do they gain weight/fat?

No one wants to take this question...?

bulking = gaining weight = calorie surplus.

But how can that happen if, like some people think, exercise in and of itself burns fat?

Pretty sure that's how people burn fat AND build muscle at the same time. The workout burns all the fat, the post-workout shake builds all the muscle. And in just 10 days, too!

I thought it was 30 or 90 depending on the Beach Body DVD you're using.

Not if you follow the included "Quick Start" pamphlet. You can drop a dress size in 7-10 days!

I don't think I got that with my order. Does it talk about how to make my muscles longer? I'll have to email beachbody...

Sure! They include a bonus Stretching workout so you get long, lean muscles. Just like the bikini models.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    And this exchange is proof I have done WAY too many Beachbody workouts :tongue:
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Question.
    When one is bulking, are they not exercising? Why then do they not lose weight/fat?

But how can that happen if, like some people think, exercise in and of itself burns fat?

Pretty sure that's how people burn fat AND build muscle at the same time. The workout burns all the fat, the post-workout shake builds all the muscle. And in just 10 days, too!

I thought it was 30 or 90 depending on the Beach Body DVD you're using.

Or Jane Fonda apparently.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I wish my calf muscles were shorter, would give me slimer legs at the bottom. Sigh, genes blah!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    who knew that a basic concept like you need a calorie deficit for weight loss could be so controversial....never change MFP, never change...
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Question.

By the same thinking, shouldn't weightlifting alone build muscle? Of course not. So why would fat loss be any different...?

True that, though many people think they will gain by lifting, even without a caloric surplus.
    There are indeed...
    Yep, I know people IRL that have told me I can gain muscle without having to eat any more calories than I expend.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    who knew that a basic concept like you need a calorie deficit for weight loss could be so controversial....never change MFP, never change...

c'mon man, everyone knows you don't consume less than you expend...you expend more than you consume...

but then again, 2+3=5...and 3+2=5....wait, what was the question?
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    consume less expand less
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    There is this guy at the gym that churns away at the stationary bike for an hour several times per week for the past 5 years that I've been going there, and he has an amazing pot-belly. He also does a lot of toe touches. The fat burning thing hasn't kicked in yet.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    There is this guy at the gym that churns away at the stationary bike for an hour several times per week for the past 5 years that I've been going there, and he has an amazing pot-belly. He also does a lot of toe touches. The fat burning thing hasn't kicked in yet.

any day now it will ....
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

c'mon man, everyone knows you don't consume less than you expend...you expend more than you consume...

but then again, 2+3=5...and 3+2=5....wait, what was the question?

i typically expand more than I consume...
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

Yep. Since 2008 I have done a lot of cycling, usually 2000-3000 miles a year, sometimes more. Most has been in the so-called "fat-burning" zone. My weight has gone up and down in that period depending entirely on whether I was in a calorie deficit. Here I am in the middle of a bike tour in summer 2011. As you can see, all that "fat-burning" was not leading to fat loss, because I was eating more than I was expending, and the result was that the excess calories were being stored as fat.

It's true that the body draws more on fat reserves for fuel in the short term when doing some exercises than it does when doing others. But, as @cwolfman13 has repeatedly said, but which is news to some people, that fact means absolutely nothing in terms of long-term fat loss. The body is very good at responding to increased exercise with increased hunger!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »

Yep. Since 2008 I have done a lot of cycling, usually 2000-3000 miles a year, sometimes more. Most has been in the so-called "fat-burning" zone. My weight has gone up and down in that period depending entirely on whether I was in a calorie deficit. Here I am in the middle of a bike tour in summer 2011. As you can see, all that "fat-burning" was not leading to fat loss, because I was eating more than I was expending, and the result was that the excess calories were being stored as fat.

It's true that the body draws more on fat reserves for fuel in the short term when doing some exercises than it does when doing others. But, as @cwolfman13 has repeatedly said, but which is news to some people, that fact means absolutely nothing in terms of long-term fat loss. The body is very good at responding to increased exercise with increased hunger!

Dayumm. Nice work.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

If that same person who's TDEE is 2000, ate 2000 calories, and burned 500 calories doing cardio....would they lose fat?
    The TDEE would then be 2500 and if they ate 2000 calories, then yes they should lose fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    cloudi2 wrote: »
    Thanks OP, this discussion has been really instructive for me, and I'm sure others.

So if fat is lost sleeping and during rest, seems takin it easy, relaxing, getting long sleeps and eating at a deficit rather than excersizing gets us an unfat body.

Great! Tired of sore swollen body aches pains and joints. All I want is the fat off and not to have to eat much! Awesome. :smile:
    Rest is important. Not only for recovery but to burn fat stores.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yes, of course it all comes down to CICO. I'm still leaner when I'm doing cardio regularly than when I'm not, so exercise must be making it easier to burn what I eat. Cardio is also a great thing to do when you're at home and feel like snacking. Don't eat, go for a walk, hit the gym, do some dancing.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Cardio is done to improve cardio vascular fitness and burn calories. It will HELP with a calorie deficit and for some that do a lot of cardio, allow one to eat more versus someone at the same weight who does little or no cardio at all.
    Like all other physical activity, GLYCOGEN will be the first thing burned before fat is even touched (ratio will vary more to fat if duration extended and/or intensity is lower) so the addage that one needs to do cardio to burn fat is a myth. You burn fat with a calorie deficit. Don't believe it? Do whatever cardio you want, but eat your TDEE. You'll more likely keep the same bodyfat percentage if you keep doing that.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Okay, then if Cardio isn't for fat burning what exercise do you recommend?
    There AREN'T any "fat burning" exercises. Exercise is for fitness and health. How you lose fat is based more on CICO than how much or how one works out. You can improve muscle and muscle tone, but exercise doesn't directly burn off excess fat tissue the way people think it does. That's why "spot reduction" doesn't exist.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Okay, then if Cardio isn't for fat burning what exercise do you recommend?
    There AREN'T any "fat burning" exercises. Exercise is for fitness and health. How you lose fat is based more on CICO than how much or how one works out. You can improve muscle and muscle tone, but exercise doesn't directly burn off excess fat tissue the way people think it does. That's why "spot reduction" doesn't exist.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Aren't you just contracting your self?
    You said "You burn fat with a calorie deficit"
    Then you said, " How you lose fat is based more on CICO "

Now doesn't cardio burn Calories?
    If yes, doesn't that mean then CI < CO + Cardio and isn't that what you said at the begging?

Look dude. I don't know your point
    but I know that there are people out there who spent 2hrs a day doing cardio and loosing weight and looks great.
    What contradiction? Cardio burns calories. One could do 2 hours of cardio and burn 1000 calories. Let's now say their TDEE is 3000 calories. Now they eat 3000 calories. Guess what? No weight or fat loss. If they eat 2500 calories, they lose weight and fat. Where's the confusion?

CICO dictates whether you gain/lose/maintain weight. A CI<CO (regardless of how it's achieved) is a calorie deficit.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Are you suggesting/stating that exercise (or cardio) does not does not increase the calories out?
    Of course it does. It's expending energy. But if you match that energy out with equal energy in (eating) there IS NO CALORIE DEFICIT.

TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is 2000 calories (that INCLUDES cardio). Intake is 2000 calories. Weight is maintained. There is no calorie deficit.

Is this making sense yet?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Question.

Dude..........it's cause of PED's. :D

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Question.

I'm gonna make my own supplement line and claim it can be done in 5 days. That means I can charge double for the same results in half the time. ;)

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png