Cardio isn't for "fat burning".

Options

Replies

• CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    In the year I've been at this, my view of exercise has really shifted. I use to view calories & exercise as equal partners and would try to work out daily, and began to pursue longer, more demanding exercise with a view to burning more calories (or maybe more specifically, with a view to buying more calories). With the scale moving sluggishly (but feeling very fit), I decided to give greater focus to my calorie counting and not concern myself as much with calorie burns. It's really gotten the scale moving again. I still work out more days than not, but for the fitness and mood boost, not to speed weight loss. For that, I'm just scrupulous about my calories.

QFT. Whenever my losses hit a slump, I stop caring about exercise altogether for a couple days and JUST LOG FLAWLESSLY. Gets me back on track after a week and the scale steadily moving down. It's nothing to do with the exercise intensity decrease, and more to do with being a lot more accurate because those pesky over-estimated burns and under estimated intake. CiCo is king.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There is cardio I hate like spin class and the treadmill, and cardio I love like running and Zumba. Including these exercises has done worlds for my health, stamina and fitness. The calories I burn from a session add up to about two cookies. Not significant weight wise.

But still worthwhile.

It is a disservice to describe these activities as "fat burning". I've even seen it labelled this way on the machines (fat burning zone). How many times does MFP field a misery laden post from a newbie poster who has restricted calories for ten days and significantly increased her cardio over that same time....and gained weight? Probably water weight from muscle repair.

Here this poor person was giving her all and hating every minute of it. She was certainly hoping to see a significant result from all that "fat burning"!

Isn't it better to advise her to look to the meal sizes to lose weight and when she is doing cardio, be sure she is doing something she enjoys? Because this weight loss enterprise is going to take a while.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    @SingingSingleTracker but elite runners strength train. Most if not all elite athletes include strength training in their programs. Also an elite runner wouldn't call it jogging ;)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,691 Member
    Options
    Living is a fat burning event in a calorie defecit

Cardio contributes to the calorie defecit.

Therefore

It is a fat burning exercise.

Making this very simple weight management equation unduly complex is a bit silly.

Eat at a calorie defecit and add some fun exercise you enjoy. The magic will happen. There is no rocket science.

Lol, take away "deficit" and guess what? Cardio isn't a fat burning exercise. Using Post Hoc fallacy to correlate it is, is faulty.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    We are all starving our bodies slightly off of our TDEE to lose fat. Cardio is good for fat loss yes- of course you cannot ever out exercise a bad diet. A bad diet is eating too many calories also as well as not eating nutritious fuel. There are plenty of people who would say they prefer weight lifting because it increases fat loss, by increasing metabolism...??
    Would love to hear your expert advice on that..
    Weight lifting improves a muscles condition dependent on how you do it. Some do it for strength, some for maintenance and some for muscular endurance.
    As to increasing metabolic rate? EPOC is overly exaggerated by the fitness community and those who may have never studied physiology. One can raise their RMR, but it's not that significant and it doesn't have to come just from weight lifting. High intensity exercise will do it. And because weight lifting is more along those lines than cardio, many people think that it's a metabolic booster.
    It's still going to come down to CICO.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    @SingingSingleTracker but elite runners strength train. Most if not all elite athletes include strength training in their programs. Also an elite runner wouldn't call it jogging ;)

And no woman at 12% would use the word toned ...ripped maybe
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I dnt think thats true at all i did nothing but cardio last time i lost weight and i won a best body contest my 37% bf went down to 12% and i looked toned and all i did was jog
    Sorry, but if you think you went down to 12% body fat, you'd be BETTER than most female athletes in the world at body composition. And you don't get that from just jogging.
    If you lost weight, it's because you created a calorie deficit..............the formula for weight loss.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I dnt think thats true at all i did nothing but cardio last time i lost weight and i won a best body contest my 37% bf went down to 12% and i looked toned and all i did was jog

Then you were consuming less energy than you were expending....

Holy crap, how hard is this?
    And kids back in school in the day were wondering "when are we ever going to use math equations in life?"

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    @SingingSingleTracker she got that just from jogging, no lifting involved ;)

12% is pretty standard for female elite runners: http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/ideal-body-fat-percentage-for-runners
    Key word here: ELITE
    One isn't going to get that by just doing some jogging for 30 minutes to and hour a day.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

12% is pretty standard for female elite runners: http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/ideal-body-fat-percentage-for-runners
    One isn't going to get that by just doing some jogging for 30 minutes to and hour a day.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So you can't hit a very low body fat level just by cutting calories?

Isn't the whole point of this thread that fat loss is based on eating fewer calories than you need?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    We are all starving our bodies slightly off of our TDEE to lose fat. Cardio is good for fat loss yes- of course you cannot ever out exercise a bad diet. A bad diet is eating too many calories also as well as not eating nutritious fuel. There are plenty of people who would say they prefer weight lifting because it increases fat loss, by increasing metabolism...??
    Who says that?
    It's a snobbery group of people who only do weight lifting and think and state that it's better

who said that in this thread???
  • ndj1979
    edited March 2016
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Isn't the whole point of this thread that fat loss is based on eating fewer calories than you need?

I think to get to an elite level it is going to take strict logging, strict micro/macro adherence, strict lifting regimen, etc…key word here being "strict"
  • 3dogsrunning
    edited March 2016
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I think to get to an elite level it is going to take strict logging, strict micro/macro adherence, strict lifting regimen, etc…key word here being "strict"

I'm not talking about the 12% look in the photo (that is one example of what someone looks like at 12%. As someone else pointed out elite runners often how similar body fat levels but do Not look the same ). I'm not talking about and elite athlete though.
    I'm talking about achieving 12% body fat.
    The thread is saying to lose fat you need to eat fewer calories. Period.
  • ndj1979
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I'm not talking about the 12% look in the photo (that is one example of what someone looks like at 12%. As someone else pointed out elite runners often how similar body fat levels but do Not look the same ). I'm not talking about and elite athlete though.

yes, you could achieve 12% body fat through just straight calorie deficit….I am not sure if one would like how they look at the same time. I think the same site - nerd fitness - has a picture of 12 percent body fat vs 12 percent ripped body fat …..

• ndj1979
    Options
    Who says that?
    It's a snobbery group of people who only do weight lifting and think and state that it's better

who said that in this thread???

A group of fitness guru chicks that work at fitness first-hate the crap ppl spam-myths it's getting on my nerves. Totally works against people just starting out like young women who are new to all this

so no one in this thread said that…?

you seem to have a lot of bit up hate towards people that lift weights and/or are heavy into fitness….you might want to let it go...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The thread is saying you need to be in an energy deficit, period...
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

She claims she only did cardio and didn't watch her diet at all. Very unlikely
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The thread is saying you need to be in an energy deficit, period...

Yes. That is what I meant.
    Until we got to the point where someone mentioned getting to 12% body fat by just jogging (presumably putting her in a calorie deficit) and now people are saying she couldn't have done that.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Weight lifting improves a muscles condition dependent on how you do it. Some do it for strength, some for maintenance and some for muscular endurance.
    As to increasing metabolic rate? EPOC is overly exaggerated by the fitness community and those who may have never studied physiology. One can raise their RMR, but it's not that significant and it doesn't have to come just from weight lifting. High intensity exercise will do it. And because weight lifting is more along those lines than cardio, many people think that it's a metabolic booster.
    It's still going to come down to CICO.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So they are just full of it..knew it. I hate exercize snobs
    Full of it...........eh. Unknowlegdeable in how physiology really works, probably. Any exercise one can do for life is good. People just like to endorse what they like to do for exercise.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• 3dogsrunning
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

She claims she only did cardio and didn't watch her diet at all. Very unlikely

I agree it's probably pretty hard and like an issue with the way it was estimated but again, assuming the jogging put her into an energy deficit, why couldn't she?
    And the first responses were that she couldn't have hit 12% without lifting or running at an elite level.