Cardio isn't for "fat burning".

Options

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    lizlemon4 wrote: »
    People these days eat straight up crap. Chips, soda, hot dogs, McDonald's, and everything else. Never a veggie or a fruit oh how about some old fashioned water and a good run around the block. Take account for the things you consume or they will consume you with obesity and disease.

Incorrect. While some of these foods are higher in saturated fats there's nothing inherently wrong with them. Mostly they're just calorie dense. If you don't have high cholesterol or health issues that prevent you from having these then eating them is fine. Just don't comprise your entire diet of them.

Cardio is to make you healthier. It can improve so much of your life. It makes it easier for me to do high altitude hiking, lowers my blood pressure, cholesterol , and my HDL was 100 on my last checkup. It does burn fat but that's as explained in the opening post when you do longer lower intensity zoned endurance.

Also worth noting. It does not make you skinny. Professional marathon runners are skinny on purpose because you lose about 2 seconds per mile for each extra pound you carry. Light weight = greater speed. Your net calories determine your size. That is all.

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    For low intensity exercises, is it body fat or dietary fat burned, or both?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Okay, then if Cardio isn't for fat burning what exercise do you recommend?

none

calorie deficit coupled with some kind of exercise regimen
  • ndj1979
    edited March 2016
    Options
    lizlemon4 wrote: »
    People these days eat straight up crap. Chips, soda, hot dogs, McDonald's, and everything else. Never a veggie or a fruit oh how about some old fashioned water and a good run around the block. Take account for the things you consume or they will consume you with obesity and disease.

so 100% of people eat this way?????????? How do you know this? Have you studied the eating habits of every person on the planet?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

That actually makes no real sense. Once fat is in your blood stream it's continually absorbed and released by fat cells based on a number of factors such as the presence of insulin and energy requirements of the body. It would be like pumping gas into a half full tank and then driving off. It doesn't matter weather it was the new gas or the old gas once it's in the tank it all just gets mixed together.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

The fuel being utilized for a particular activity is irrelevant...you are in a constant state of flux between fat storage and fat oxidation...when your net oxidation exceeds storage, you will get leaner and lose weight. You put yourself in a net deficit position by consuming less energy than you expend.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

The fuel being utilized for a particular activity is irrelevant...you are in a constant state of flux between fat storage and fat oxidation...when your net oxidation exceeds storage, you will get leaner and lose weight. You put yourself in a net deficit position by consuming less energy than you expend.

Agreed, especially the bolded part. IMO, that's something most people either don't realize or don't give enough credence to.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    In other news...the sky is up
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

And the stock market is down. ;)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    remove
  • ndj1979
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Isn't there an increase in a person's metabolic rate from consistent/daily/weekly exercising? This is a huge plus in my book just to exercise (but I am a bit old) LOL

As the above poster said above, I have lost weight, maintained and gained weight whilst exercising.

IMHO I think TV shows, magazines, internet jargon, make it out to believe that you must "exercise to loose weight", or at least that is the way it comes across. So people jump on MFP setup a calorie deficit and jump right on the forums and always ask "how many calories do I need to burn a day to loose weight", or "what type of cardio do I need to do to loose XXX pounds by XXX date?"

Who actually asks how can I improve my cardiovascular health to compliment my weight loss? Not very many.

yes, you get an increase in calories burned, but the point that niner is making is that this is small and that consistent calorie deficit is really the answer....
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    took me more years than I care to mention to figure this out.
  • _Waffle_
    Options

You'll do better if you just think of it as energy. During lower intensity exercises the body will pull some from the muscle cells themselves, and some from blood stream. The blood stream energy will be replenished by energy stored in your liver. Once that is used up it will then use stored body fat for energy. This is released into your blood and is no different than the dietary fat that you've eaten that day which might be remaining. It doesn't wait until your totally out of energy so the stored fat/energy is mixed in with things you may have eaten recently.

There are strategies for helping your body to prefer stored fat over glycogen but that includes starting the exercise in a fasted state and doing 90+ minutes of exercise. You can run out of glycogen energy storage in your cells too but that's all really outside the scope of this discussion.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    You can't outrun a bad diet.

I can out run anything!!!*

b88.gif

*As long as it's really, really slow.
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    Isn't there an increase in a person's metabolic rate from consistent/daily/weekly exercising? This is a huge plus in my book just to exercise (but I am a bit old) LOL

As the above poster said above, I have lost weight, maintained and gained weight whilst exercising.

IMHO I think TV shows, magazines, internet jargon, make it out to believe that you must "exercise to loose weight", or at least that is the way it comes across. So people jump on MFP setup a calorie deficit and jump right on the forums and always ask "how many calories do I need to burn a day to loose weight", or "what type of cardio do I need to do to loose XXX pounds by XXX date?"

Who actually asks how can I improve my cardiovascular health to compliment my weight loss? Not very many.

*raises hand*

In fact I cared more about this than the actual weight but they're both side-kicks and fixing one helps the other. That is I first cared about getting less winded at 11k+ feet and that triggered my desire to fix other things. Generally however..... "Wedding in 6 weeks! ZOMG!"
  • ScoobaChick
    ScoobaChick Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Being in good cardio vascular health makes you feel fantastic. And that should be enough

+1
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

yes, you get an increase in calories burned, but the point that niner is making is that this is small and that consistent calorie deficit is really the answer....

Oh I know this... I am just chatting...sorry.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this was just a UK ad but I loved it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxzdo8FfrW0
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

*raises hand*

In fact I cared more about this than the actual weight but they're both side-kicks and fixing one helps the other. That is I first cared about getting less winded at 11k+ feet and that triggered my desire to fix other things. Generally however..... "Wedding in 6 weeks! ZOMG!"

I guess I should stop posting again..
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

You say this, but go ahead and peruse this forum to see the many "Should I start with cardio or strength training to lose weight?", or "How do I get toned abs?", or "I workout an hour everyday, why am I not losing weight?" threads.

Yes, it should be common knowledge, but this website and it's forum alone shows that it isn't.