Just eat the damn ice cream!

Options

Replies

• sarahkanzalone
    sarahkanzalone Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I make something like this on occasion minus the cream (yay for lactose intolerance) I just freeze over ripe bananas then blend them up sometimes with some chocolate syrup. It tastes pretty good to me and satisfies cravings for ice cream without the lactose intolerance issues (and way cheaper than any lactose free ice creams).... I was also vegan for a really long time and think my taste buds are different so no cream might not work for everyone
  • emilycat214
    emilycat214 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    PS - the Edy's slow churned are about half the calories of the Haagen Daaz, and Talenti Gelato is amazing, if a bit pricey...

I had the Edy's chocolate for my evening snack... yummy!
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I got into the best shape of my life eating 1-2 pints of Ben and Jerry's and Pizza daily. CICO.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Dvdgzz wrote: »
    I got into the best shape of my life eating 1-2 pints of Ben and Jerry's and Pizza daily. CICO.

Because clearly your calorie requirement is a good representation of everyone's on MFP.

Not.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Just ate a Twix ice cream bar. 129 calories of happy.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    A word of advice - if you're going to make banana 'ice-cream' make sure you peel the bananas before you freeze them. I learnt that the hard, finger numbing, curse inducing way.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Just ate a Twix ice cream bar. 129 calories of happy.

I love those!
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Sez3199 wrote: »
    Agreed with the above, though I would add that the increased fiber in the banana hipster pseudo-dessert thingo does make it harder to overeat, as I feel pretty full after, whereas the ice cream is much easier to overeat. Other than that.... JUST EAT THE DAMN ICE CREAM. It's my new motto haha

And, of course, the fat in the peanuts is considered much more healthy than the fat in ice cream.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    According to what I read from Drs Purlmutter and Hyman, added sugars are bad for you, but fruit is not. Added sugar dumps sugar in your blood stream, while that in a banana needs to process.

..and that would matter if you had blood sugar problems. Otherwise, the only problem is that adding sugar decreases the nutritional density of the food (i.e., less nutrition per calorie). That could be a problem if you are trying to consume certain minimum levels of macro and micro nutrients (i.e., protein, fiber, iron, etc.) within a fixed calorie goal. But, as far as pure weight loss goes, it doesn't matter as long as you can still maintain an average calorie deficit.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I usually have some greek yogurt mixed with protein powder, which has a significantly different nutritional profile than ice cream...then I'll have some ice cream with whatever calories/macros I have left.
  • Rabidrunner
    Rabidrunner Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    I usually have some greek yogurt mixed with protein powder, which has a significantly different nutritional profile than ice cream...then I'll have some ice cream with whatever calories/macros I have left.

I do something like this too. Well, I chuck my Greek yogurt single sized tub in the freezer for 30 mins or so before I eat it, ends up a lot like ice cream. This is my afternoon 'ice cream'. The others are evening ice cream. You understand :-D
  • chrissymfred
    chrissymfred Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    A word of advice - if you're going to make banana 'ice-cream' make sure you peel the bananas before you freeze them. I learnt that the hard, finger numbing, curse inducing way.

Lol! Hahahaha Thanks for posting that, I KNOW I would have done the same thing.

• scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Okay. I'm a sicko. I love frozen banana 'ice cream' because banana is one of my favorite ice cream flavors & it is often not banana-y enough. Problem solved! But my bags of frozen banana chunks are pre measured between 3.6-4.0 ounces and I don't add anything else so a 4 oz serving is about 100 calories, fits in one of those little dessert dishes or prep bowls, and counts toward my fresh fruit/veg daily goal. So I'm pretty delighted with it, thank you very much! The only downside is cleaning the vitamix...
  • TheLittleRedHairedGirl
    Options
    OMG I tried these 2 ingredient cookies. Mashed ripe banana and rolled oats. I added some truvia and cinnamon and a touch of salt. The recipe said they are best right out of the oven so that's how I tried it... OMG they were gross. I would much rather eat a bowl of steel cut oatmeal with some cinnamon.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    You know, that's two shout outs for PB2 now, I've never tried it - is it as good as the real deal do you guys think?

NO! It is most definitely not as good as the real deal. Blech!
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I keep the single serving size of Haagen Dazs in my freezer (chocolate, coffee and strawberry typically) because for me life without Ice Cream is not life. I need help with portion control, so the little cups work well for me.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    minizebu wrote: »
    You know, that's two shout outs for PB2 now, I've never tried it - is it as good as the real deal do you guys think?

NO! It is most definitely not as good as the real deal. Blech!

Agree! Nothing beats a giant spoonfull of real peanut butter. I think Ill have some ASAP.
    Now, I wouldnt make a PB&J with it but Ill throw it in my overnight oats, dip my apple slices in it or put some in my protein shake. I dont care for the plain one, I like chocolate. So when substituting for less cals and fat - it'll eat.
  • krisalexine
    krisalexine Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Dvdgzz wrote: »

Because clearly your calorie requirement is a good representation of everyone's on MFP.

Not.

^^ i LOL'd.

I only make banana ice cream when my bananas have gone past the point of salvation. that or I bake some damn good banana walnut muffins.

+1 for PB2. Definitely not as good as the real deal, but if you want the flavor without the calories, it's a decent sub. I never eat it alone, just mix it in with my whey protein.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    I love Talenti... Caribbean Coconut- I just..... I cant. I die. <3
    Have you tried any of the new pints?

Ok...that was a BAD idea. LMAO. I had NO idea there were so many. There are maybe 6 at my store. But now I will have to look into this... I mean, GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE GELATTO?!
    saa7r0xt1kd0.jpg

I love talenti! Recently tried the butter pecan and LOVED it. I add a serving of mini oreos if the day will allow and its the best thing ever!

German Chocolate Cake though? Gotta get me some of that.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Much to my amusement, a cursory review of the nutritional info of my concoction versus Haargen Daz's vanilla ice cream (my fave) show that the difference between the two is negligible. Ha!

Another fun, anti-BS thing to do is compare calories and macros of expensive, "healthy" cereal to Froot Loops.