Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Going to bed hungry

Options

Replies

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I can't sleep hungry, plain and simple. I usually hsve a fiber one bar or a fiber drink and gin gons before bed and ithelps
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Not reading the thread...

If I go to bed hungry, I don't sleep well.
    If I go to bed hungry, I wake up and over eat.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Going to bed hungry does not work for me. I have hypoglycemia.
  • lexidanko14
    lexidanko14 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I personally like going to bed NOT with a full stomach. Not starving of course but that's why I practice (for the most part) intermittent fasting. Time your meals right so that your last meal or snack is about 2 hours before your actual bed time. If you're still hungry drink something hot or just chug a *kitten* ton of water. It'll help with morning bloat for sure.
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I prefer going to bed a little hungry, not because of the sleep or such, but because of breakfast. I have a hard time eating breakfast, but if I wake up hungry enough I can make it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Numerio wrote: »
    The trick is to eat before bed! But just eat the right foods before bed; slow-digesting protein, like cottage cheese or a piece of skinless chicken, coupled with low-carb fruit or vegetables

Exactly!! I've been involved in fitness for many years. There is absolutely no reason you should ever go hungry. Before bed there is nothing wrong with eating as long as it's a protein. I usually opt for a snack of chicken. Not a meal, mind you, but a snack.

Waking up in the middle of the night with hunger pains will sabotage any weight loss you had/have planned. Some people will even sleep eat and that's not good because their go to food will be that chocolate cake left over from the kid's birthday party ( not like I've ever done this or anything

What if I eat carbs instead of protein????
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no reason you should ever go hungry. Before bed there is nothing wrong with eating as long as it's a protein.

Why?
  • J72FIT
    edited July 2017
    Options
    AmyOwl73 wrote: »
    I know this is a hotly-debated topic, but I thought I would share a little observation that I made...
    Earlier, I Googled "how to go to bed hungry", since I am a big time late-night eater... The results were literally 50/50... Every other result said "do it and you'll burn fat". The other half said , "don't do it because you'll sabotage your efforts".. it's no wonder people are so confused. At least I'm confused.. and frustrated.

FWIW, I am going to TRY to go to bed hungry tonight to see what effect it has on me. I guess that's the only reliable answer I'm going to get.

Going to bed hungry does not burn more fat. So start from there. ;)

+1
  • J72FIT
    edited July 2017
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    The trick is to eat before bed! But just eat the right foods before bed; slow-digesting protein, like cottage cheese or a piece of skinless chicken, coupled with low-carb fruit or vegetables

Exactly!! I've been involved in fitness for many years. There is absolutely no reason you should ever go hungry. Before bed there is nothing wrong with eating as long as it's a protein. I usually opt for a snack of chicken. Not a meal, mind you, but a snack.

Waking up in the middle of the night with hunger pains will sabotage any weight loss you had/have planned. Some people will even sleep eat and that's not good because their go to food will be that chocolate cake left over from the kid's birthday party ( not like I've ever done this or anything

Carbs turn to sugar. Your body is significantly slowing down so you can sleep. Eating carbs right before bed will slow the fat burning process even more while your sleeping, and you may not sleep as well either.

Nonsense...

So if I eat carbs before bed and still maintain a caloric deficit I will not burn fat?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Wow, whether to go to bed hungry is a hotly debated topic? I had no idea. It's not going to make much difference except for personal preferences that might help keep you on track.

Personally, I'm usually pretty full when I go to bed but if I'm a bit hungry and I'm sleepy I'll likely go to bed rather than eat something.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    It's not going to make much difference except for personal preferences that might help keep you on track.

^^^This...

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Carbs turn to sugar. Your body is significantly slowing down so you can sleep. Eating carbs right before bed will slow the fat burning process even more while your sleeping, and you may not sleep as well either.

What do you mean by, "Your body significantly slows down so you can sleep?" And how would this affect digestion or fat burning?

And the only reason for perhaps not eating right before bed is if doing so gives you heartburn/acid reflux. Otherwise, no issue and no reduction in fat burning has been shown to occur. Your digestive system and metabolism work 24/7 even if you don't. :)
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Before bed,which should I pick? Chocolate or chicken?