Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Going to bed hungry

Options

Replies

• its_whisper
    its_whisper Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I read a study that eating before bed isn't bad, it's only bad if you go over your calories or if you have bad digestive issues as a fully belly will keep you awake.

If you are starving and can not fall asleep I say go ahead and eat a very light snack, like fruit or veggies to hold you over until morning.

I usually eat dinner by 5pm and I make sure I have plenty of protein so when i go to bed im not hungry. When I first started to lose weight I always went to bed hungry because my body was like "wtf is happening? where's all the food?" lol
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    AmyOwl73 wrote: »
    I know this is a hotly-debated topic, but I thought I would share a little observation that I made...
    Earlier, I Googled "how to go to bed hungry", since I am a big time late-night eater... The results were literally 50/50... Every other result said "do it and you'll burn fat". The other half said , "don't do it because you'll sabotage your efforts".. it's no wonder people are so confused. At least I'm confused.. and frustrated.

FWIW, I am going to TRY to go to bed hungry tonight to see what effect it has on me. I guess that's the only reliable answer I'm going to get.

Going to bed hungry does not burn more fat. So start from there. ;)

Yes, this.

I don't like to snack, so I don't really eat after dinner (if I have dessert it's immediately after dinner). But that doesn't mean I go to bed hungry -- I eat late, and if I were actively hungry (vs. "eh, I could eat if I wanted to") I'd probably change it up. At least if I found it bothered me. That said, even if I was hungry the evening before I seem to be able to sleep fine/not wake up until morning once I am tired enough to sleep.
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Numerio wrote: »
    The trick is to eat before bed! But just eat the right foods before bed; slow-digesting protein, like cottage cheese or a piece of skinless chicken, coupled with low-carb fruit or vegetables

Exactly!! I've been involved in fitness for many years. There is absolutely no reason you should ever go hungry. Before bed there is nothing wrong with eating as long as it's a protein. I usually opt for a snack of chicken. Not a meal, mind you, but a snack.

Waking up in the middle of the night with hunger pains will sabotage any weight loss you had/have planned. Some people will even sleep eat and that's not good because their go to food will be that chocolate cake left over from the kid's birthday party ( not like I've ever done this or anything

What if I eat carbs instead of protein????

Carbs turn to sugar. Your body is significantly slowing down so you can sleep. Eating carbs right before bed will slow the fat burning process even more while your sleeping, and you may not sleep as well either.

No, in fact many find that carbs before bed will make them sleep better. It won't make a whit of difference as to how much fat you burn over the course of the day. That's based on a misunderstanding or just bad diet advice.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    The only time I EVER go to bed hungry is when I haven't planned correctly for a snack before bed (or have 1 too many of something throughout the day). And I regret it every time because I lay there and think about my growling stomach.

Honestly, I don't believe any of the diet hooey out there. Most people say eat carbs early, but that makes me hungry, so I wait and have them late. Some people say eating paleo, or keto, or low carb, or low fat is the best, but honestly, if I plan my day the best I can and stay under my calorie limit and move at some point in the day, I'm happy. Meeting macros may happen, but mostly they don't. Don't sweat the small stuff and eat in a way that's best for you. Sadly, that comes with much trail and error and time. Rome wasn't built in a day and you won't figure out what's best for you body until you play around with things.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    The trick is to eat before bed! But just eat the right foods before bed; slow-digesting protein, like cottage cheese or a piece of skinless chicken, coupled with low-carb fruit or vegetables

Exactly!! I've been involved in fitness for many years. There is absolutely no reason you should ever go hungry. Before bed there is nothing wrong with eating as long as it's a protein. I usually opt for a snack of chicken. Not a meal, mind you, but a snack.

Waking up in the middle of the night with hunger pains will sabotage any weight loss you had/have planned. Some people will even sleep eat and that's not good because their go to food will be that chocolate cake left over from the kid's birthday party ( not like I've ever done this or anything

Carbs turn to sugar. Your body is significantly slowing down so you can sleep. Eating carbs right before bed will slow the fat burning process even more while your sleeping, and you may not sleep as well either.

sorry, that is a no. If you eat carbs or protein and are still in a deficit of calories for the day you will burn the same amount of fat.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Carbs cause a spike in blood sugar then a swift descent, leading to more intense hunger pangs. Protein is digested more slowly and does not cause the rapid spike.

http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/53/9/2375.long

Granted the focus of the study was on diabetics, but the information does correlate to those with normal sugar regulating metabolisms.

How?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Before bed,which should I pick? Chocolate or chicken?

both
  • ndj1979
    Options

Carbs cause a spike in blood sugar then a swift descent, leading to more intense hunger pangs. Protein is digested more slowly and does not cause the rapid spike.

http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/53/9/2375.long

Granted the focus of the study was on diabetics, but the information does correlate to those with normal sugar regulating metabolisms.

protein causes a similar insulin spike...
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Many times in the past, I saved calories to continue my late night snacking and it would work for a couple days. But I'm not at my strongest at one or two o'clock in the morning. I am more likely to throw caution to the wind and eat more than I'd saved room for. This time, I've taken the attitude that late snacking is just not something I do anymore. I go to be instead. And, you know what? I hit the pillow and I'm out. To some extent I was confusing hunger and sleepiness. Now, yes, I'm up earlier in the morning but it's a very pleasant time to be up, before the rest of the household and while the birds are still chirping.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    AmyOwl73 wrote: »
    I know this is a hotly-debated topic, but I thought I would share a little observation that I made...
    Earlier, I Googled "how to go to bed hungry", since I am a big time late-night eater... The results were literally 50/50... Every other result said "do it and you'll burn fat". The other half said , "don't do it because you'll sabotage your efforts".. it's no wonder people are so confused. At least I'm confused.. and frustrated.

FWIW, I am going to TRY to go to bed hungry tonight to see what effect it has on me. I guess that's the only reliable answer I'm going to get.

This is going to depend on your behavior and what you've been conditioned to accepting as normal. First of all barring any medical issues this is not so much an issue of hunger as it is appetite.

Caloric deficit is the most critical variable to this, but as the time before bed tends to be the most vulnerable time for the majority. The day is done, most are decompressing, reading, watching TV, etc. and out of a routine and hence more vulnerable to eating more than the budget allows.

Personally this is my budget check point. I check the logs and make sure my protein/carb goals are in line with my goals.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Nope.

What if I told you that I lost weight eating popcorn every night right before bed?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

Nonsense...

So if I eat carbs before bed and still maintain a caloric deficit I will not burn fat?

She said it would slow the fat burning process while you sleep. Doesn't mean you won't burn any fat at night, just that it would be slowed, and she also didn't say you wouldn't burn the equivalent amount of fat during the day. Just that fat burning would be slowed, which is true anytime you eat, and even more when you have carbs.

Nope. I lost weight, at the rate predicted, eating a big ole' bowl of popcorn (came in around 350 calories worth) right before bed).

Did this all last year.

Got down to my lowest weight doing it too.

Since I was losing weight as anticipated, eating carbs before bed did not slow fat loss.
  • kitzykarly
    kitzykarly Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yay for popcorn!! I eat a bowl every day, and usually as the last thing I eat. I find if I have it as a midday snack I tend to forget dinner if I get involved in something, and then oops! It's 2 am and I just turn in. Late night popcorn ensures I eat dinner :)
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Definitely a personal choice here. I don't enjoy feeling really hungry and don't want to go to bed that way. I eat dinner quite late so am actually rarely hungry at bedtime and am not a middle-of-the-night eater. Eating my last meal at 9:00ish, I've still managed to lose weight as long as I stay in a deficit.

Now my most difficult time is that long stretch between my late lunch and dinner. Fill in with healthy snacks and I do OK. Popcorn is one of my favorites!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    BabyBear76 wrote: »
    You should eat right before bed. Just not carbs. 4oz of lean protien and a cup of vegetables. Especially if you take an evening walk. You're body will use the food as energy and since it's no-carb, your body burns a lot of calories while digesting it. Also, sleep is extremely important to weight loss/muscle gains, so if you have something in your stomach, you'll sleep better and get better results.

No, and vegetables are carbs...