Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Going to bed hungry

Options

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Should you go to bed hungry..?

Should you eat before bed..?

Should you have carbs..?

Should you have protein..?

Should you have fat..?

Should you have veggies...?

The answer is, it depends...
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I guess it doesn't hurt to try, but personally I sleep worse and wake up with less energy. I don't think prolonged hunger is a necessary part of a diet; though increasing our tolerance to hunger so that our behavior is not impulsive when hungry is not a bad idea.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Numerio wrote: »
    The trick is to eat before bed! But just eat the right foods before bed; slow-digesting protein, like cottage cheese or a piece of skinless chicken, coupled with low-carb fruit or vegetables

Exactly!! I've been involved in fitness for many years. There is absolutely no reason you should ever go hungry. Before bed there is nothing wrong with eating as long as it's a protein. I usually opt for a snack of chicken. Not a meal, mind you, but a snack.

Waking up in the middle of the night with hunger pains will sabotage any weight loss you had/have planned. Some people will even sleep eat and that's not good because their go to food will be that chocolate cake left over from the kid's birthday party ( not like I've ever done this or anything

What if I eat carbs instead of protein????

Carbs turn to sugar. Your body is significantly slowing down so you can sleep. Eating carbs right before bed will slow the fat burning process even more while your sleeping, and you may not sleep as well either.

Nonsense...

So if I eat carbs before bed and still maintain a caloric deficit I will not burn fat?

She said it would slow the fat burning process while you sleep. Doesn't mean you won't burn any fat at night, just that it would be slowed, and she also didn't say you wouldn't burn the equivalent amount of fat during the day. Just that fat burning would be slowed, which is true anytime you eat, and even more when you have carbs.

Nope. I lost weight, at the rate predicted, eating a big ole' bowl of popcorn (came in around 350 calories worth) right before bed).

Did this all last year.

Got down to my lowest weight doing it too.

Since I was losing weight as anticipated, eating carbs before bed did not slow fat loss.

But it slowed it at night. And you burned more during the day because you were eating less than you would have during the day.

How do you know that weight loss slows at night?

First, we're talking about fat loss.

Second because after you eat fat loss is slowed, your blood sugar rises and it doesn't use fat as energy.

I think you should reread what I have said before you try and defend something I am not arguing. I said fat loss will be slowed at night if you're eating at night and that more fat would be used during the day because less calories would be consumed during the day since you're saving some for the night.

And it's all irrelevant if you maintain a calorie deficit...

Right, but you guys like to attack people when they say something that is true but you take the wrong way.

You guys love to use the word attack...

Because it is a word that describes your actions.

Please...

So going back to the beginning, what is it that she said was nonsense?

"Carbs turn to sugar." True
    "Your body is significantly slowing down so you can sleep." True
    "Eating carbs right before bed will slow the fat burning process even more while your sleeping," True
    "and you may not sleep as well either" True

What is nonsense is that any of this matters, except for the possibility that you won't sleep well. If eating right before bed interferes with sleep, that's a reason not to do it.

The hilarious thing is that she's now recommending eating 4 oz of meat and some vegetables immediately before bed. I eat late anyway (dinner), but doing that would be ridiculous and bad for me -- I wouldn't be able to sleep and, of course, it's extra calories. Maybe she's suggesting that everyone do what I do and eat dinner late (and that no one should have any carbs besides veg at dinner, which is silly), but then it's not normal to imply it's some special pre bed meal. It's just dinner.
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I cannot sleep if I'm hungry. I was perfectly happy saving calories at the end of the night to eat 1 tablespoon of peanut butter and 2 saltines. I would eat it right before bed every night. Later it turned into pb and apple. Since I was eating deficit, I lost my weight and never lost sleep over it;) Healthy fats/protein = satisfied belly. :smiley:
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    The trick is to eat before bed! But just eat the right foods before bed; slow-digesting protein, like cottage cheese or a piece of skinless chicken, coupled with low-carb fruit or vegetables

Exactly!! I've been involved in fitness for many years. There is absolutely no reason you should ever go hungry. Before bed there is nothing wrong with eating as long as it's a protein. I usually opt for a snack of chicken. Not a meal, mind you, but a snack.

Waking up in the middle of the night with hunger pains will sabotage any weight loss you had/have planned. Some people will even sleep eat and that's not good because their go to food will be that chocolate cake left over from the kid's birthday party ( not like I've ever done this or anything

Carbs turn to sugar. Your body is significantly slowing down so you can sleep. Eating carbs right before bed will slow the fat burning process even more while your sleeping, and you may not sleep as well either.

Nonsense...

So if I eat carbs before bed and still maintain a caloric deficit I will not burn fat?

She said it would slow the fat burning process while you sleep. Doesn't mean you won't burn any fat at night, just that it would be slowed, and she also didn't say you wouldn't burn the equivalent amount of fat during the day. Just that fat burning would be slowed, which is true anytime you eat, and even more when you have carbs.

Nope. I lost weight, at the rate predicted, eating a big ole' bowl of popcorn (came in around 350 calories worth) right before bed).

Did this all last year.

Since I was losing weight as anticipated, eating carbs before bed did not slow fat loss.

But it slowed it at night. And you burned more during the day because you were eating less than you would have during the day.

Second because after you eat fat loss is slowed, your blood sugar rises and it doesn't use fat as energy.

I think you should reread what I have said before you try and defend something I am not arguing. I said fat loss will be slowed at night if you're eating at night and that more fat would be used during the day because less calories would be consumed during the day since you're saving some for the night.

Right, but you guys like to attack people when they say something that is true but you take the wrong way.

Please...

"Eating carbs right before bed will slow the fat burning process even more while your sleeping," True

What is nonsense is that any of this matters, except for the possibility that you won't sleep well. If eating right before bed interferes with sleep, that's a reason not to do it.

The hilarious thing is that she's now recommending eating 4 oz of meat and some vegetables immediately before bed. I eat late anyway (dinner), but doing that would be ridiculous and bad for me -- I wouldn't be able to sleep and, of course, it's extra calories. Maybe she's suggesting that everyone do what I do and eat dinner late (and that no one should have any carbs besides veg at dinner, which is silly), but then it's not normal to imply it's some special pre bed meal. It's just dinner.

Unless I missed something, that's a different poster (babybear vs rwheelin).

But, yeah - the only thing that matters is if it interferes with sleep or gives you some digestive issue(s). Otherwise, it's irrelevant.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Nonsense...

Did this all last year.

Please...

Unless I missed something, that's a different poster (babybear vs rwheelin).

But, yeah - the only thing that matters is if it interferes with sleep or gives you some digestive issue(s). Otherwise, it's irrelevant.

Ooops, you are right. Although both seem to be saying you should eat right before bed but not carbs.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Carbs cause a spike in blood sugar then a swift descent, leading to more intense hunger pangs. Protein is digested more slowly and does not cause the rapid spike.

http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/53/9/2375.long

Granted the focus of the study was on diabetics, but the information does correlate to those with normal sugar regulating metabolisms.

protein causes a similar insulin spike...

No it doesnt

actually it does..

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

As someone with an ileostomy i can assure you with 100% accuracy that the digestive system doesn't slow down at night.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Nonsense...

Did this all last year.

This literally makes no sense.

The body isn't automatically using stored body fat any time you haven't eaten. Further, when the body uses fat for energy it's not automatically from body fat but largely dietary fat.

Once again, majoring in the minors. Meal timing makes very little difference to fat/weight loss. Size of deficit, protein intake and whether one strength trains or not are the things that impact ratios of fat vs muscle loss.

I really wish the term fat burning was struck from the English language because it's rarely used in the right context.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

Carbs cause a spike in blood sugar then a swift descent, leading to more intense hunger pangs. Protein is digested more slowly and does not cause the rapid spike.

Granted the focus of the study was on diabetics, but the information does correlate to those with normal sugar regulating metabolisms.

No it doesnt

actually it does..

This is very basic nutrition. Not something that's up for debate haha

Where did you get your information? Because you are wrong.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I compromise.

I know I'm going to be slightly hungry before I go to bed, because that's how I am. So...I always save 80 kCal for hot chocolate or apple cider, and have it an hour before bed. If I have extra calories (and I do, sometimes), I use milk instead of water for the base.

If I go to bed on time, I won't be hungry. If not...well, the snack doesn't fend off my version of the late-night hungries for more than an hour or two. But I don't mind going to bed a *little* hungry, as long as I'm not feeling starved...
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

No it doesnt

actually it does..

You're correct, it's not up for debate haha. Except that you're misinformed (as usual) and trying to debate the wrong side of it. Protein causes an insulin spike similar to that of carbohydrate. Here's the science, plenty of peer-reviewed studies referenced and linked: http://weightology.net/insulin-an-undeserved-bad-reputation/

Did you even look at the studies that were listed in the article you posted?

They repeat, they're off topic from what the article is trying to make it seem as the study is saying and you can't even see the full study, just the abstract.

ETA:

the study says this:

"Total carbohydrate (r = 0.39, P < 0.05, n = 36) and sugar (r = 0.36, P < 0.05, n = 36) contents were positively related to the mean insulin scores, whereas fat (r = -0.27, NS, n = 36) and protein (r = -0.24, NS, n = 38) contents were negatively related."

then the article says this:

"In fact, one study found beef to stimulate just as much insulin secretion as brown rice.  The blood sugar response of 38 different foods could only explain 23% of the variability in insulin secretion in this study.  Thus, there's a lot more that's behind insulin secretion than just carbohydrate."
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Nonsense...

Did this all last year.

How do you know? If I was losing as the math worked out by the deficit I created, did you run tests on me to tell?

You are basing your assumptions on nothing but thin air.

The fact is that I burned the amount of calories predicated by my deficit. Just like anyone would, no matter what their nutrient timing is.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options

No it doesnt

actually it does..

You're correct, it's not up for debate haha. Except that you're misinformed (as usual) and trying to debate the wrong side of it. Protein causes an insulin spike similar to that of carbohydrate. Here's the science, plenty of peer-reviewed studies referenced and linked: http://weightology.net/insulin-an-undeserved-bad-reputation/

Did you even look at the studies that were listed in the article you posted?

They repeat, they're off topic from what the article is trying to make it seem as the study is saying and you can't even see the full study, just the abstract.

ETA:

the study says this:

"Total carbohydrate (r = 0.39, P < 0.05, n = 36) and sugar (r = 0.36, P < 0.05, n = 36) contents were positively related to the mean insulin scores, whereas fat (r = -0.27, NS, n = 36) and protein (r = -0.24, NS, n = 38) contents were negatively related."

then the article says this:

"In fact, one study found beef to stimulate just as much insulin secretion as brown rice.  The blood sugar response of 38 different foods could only explain 23% of the variability in insulin secretion in this study.  Thus, there's a lot more that's behind insulin secretion than just carbohydrate."

I guess you missed this part...
    tpqou4uwitw0.png

Comparison of insulin response between low protein, high carb meal and high protein, low carb meal
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

As someone with an ileostomy i can assure you with 100% accuracy that the digestive system doesn't slow down at night.

Hmm, that's odd. The top rated pediatric motility doctor on the west coast (US) who installed the ileostomy for a relative of mine told us that the digestive system does slow down at night. It doesn't stop, obviously. But that it does slow.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

No it doesnt

actually it does..

One post said protein didn't cause a blood sugar spike and the next said protein caused a "similar insulin spike". Insulin and blood sugar (glucose) levels aren't the same thing. So is the argument over insulin spikes or blood sugar spikes. Or are there different things being argued here?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Hmm, that's odd. The top rated pediatric motility doctor on the west coast (US) who installed the ileostomy for a relative of mine told us that the digestive system does slow down at night. It doesn't stop, obviously. But that it does slow.

It could be dependent on how much you eat, meal timing (since the transit time is a lot faster) and how much intestine there is left but tmi but mine is most active between 2 am and noon and immediately after I eat. It's least active during the afternoon.