Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Going to bed hungry

Options

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Numerio wrote: »
    The trick is to eat before bed! But just eat the right foods before bed; slow-digesting protein, like cottage cheese or a piece of skinless chicken, coupled with low-carb fruit or vegetables

Exactly!! I've been involved in fitness for many years. There is absolutely no reason you should ever go hungry. Before bed there is nothing wrong with eating as long as it's a protein. I usually opt for a snack of chicken. Not a meal, mind you, but a snack.

Waking up in the middle of the night with hunger pains will sabotage any weight loss you had/have planned. Some people will even sleep eat and that's not good because their go to food will be that chocolate cake left over from the kid's birthday party ( not like I've ever done this or anything

What if I eat carbs instead of protein????

Carbs turn to sugar. Your body is significantly slowing down so you can sleep. Eating carbs right before bed will slow the fat burning process even more while your sleeping, and you may not sleep as well either.

Nonsense...

So if I eat carbs before bed and still maintain a caloric deficit I will not burn fat?

She said it would slow the fat burning process while you sleep. Doesn't mean you won't burn any fat at night, just that it would be slowed, and she also didn't say you wouldn't burn the equivalent amount of fat during the day. Just that fat burning would be slowed, which is true anytime you eat, and even more when you have carbs.

Nope. I lost weight, at the rate predicted, eating a big ole' bowl of popcorn (came in around 350 calories worth) right before bed).

Did this all last year.

Got down to my lowest weight doing it too.

Since I was losing weight as anticipated, eating carbs before bed did not slow fat loss.

But it slowed it at night. And you burned more during the day because you were eating less than you would have during the day.

How do you know that weight loss slows at night?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    The trick is to eat before bed! But just eat the right foods before bed; slow-digesting protein, like cottage cheese or a piece of skinless chicken, coupled with low-carb fruit or vegetables

Exactly!! I've been involved in fitness for many years. There is absolutely no reason you should ever go hungry. Before bed there is nothing wrong with eating as long as it's a protein. I usually opt for a snack of chicken. Not a meal, mind you, but a snack.

Waking up in the middle of the night with hunger pains will sabotage any weight loss you had/have planned. Some people will even sleep eat and that's not good because their go to food will be that chocolate cake left over from the kid's birthday party ( not like I've ever done this or anything

Carbs turn to sugar. Your body is significantly slowing down so you can sleep. Eating carbs right before bed will slow the fat burning process even more while your sleeping, and you may not sleep as well either.

Nonsense...

So if I eat carbs before bed and still maintain a caloric deficit I will not burn fat?

She said it would slow the fat burning process while you sleep. Doesn't mean you won't burn any fat at night, just that it would be slowed, and she also didn't say you wouldn't burn the equivalent amount of fat during the day. Just that fat burning would be slowed, which is true anytime you eat, and even more when you have carbs.

Nope. I lost weight, at the rate predicted, eating a big ole' bowl of popcorn (came in around 350 calories worth) right before bed).

Did this all last year.

Since I was losing weight as anticipated, eating carbs before bed did not slow fat loss.

But it slowed it at night. And you burned more during the day because you were eating less than you would have during the day.

More minutia...
  • J72FIT
    Options

Nonsense...

Did this all last year.

First, we're talking about fat loss.

Second because after you eat fat loss is slowed, your blood sugar rises and it doesn't use fat as energy.

I think you should reread what I have said before you try and defend something I am not arguing. I said fat loss will be slowed at night if you're eating at night and that more fat would be used during the day because less calories would be consumed during the day since you're saving some for the night.

And it's all irrelevant if you maintain a calorie deficit...
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options

Nonsense...

Did this all last year.

Second because after you eat fat loss is slowed, your blood sugar rises and it doesn't use fat as energy.

I think you should reread what I have said before you try and defend something I am not arguing. I said fat loss will be slowed at night if you're eating at night and that more fat would be used during the day because less calories would be consumed during the day since you're saving some for the night.

Right, but you guys like to attack people when they say something that is true but you take the wrong way.
  • J72FIT
    Options

Nonsense...

Did this all last year.

Right, but you guys like to attack people when they say something that is true but you take the wrong way.

You guys love to use the word attack...
  • Rammer123
    Options

Nonsense...

Did this all last year.

Because it is a word that describes your actions.
  • J72FIT
    Options

Nonsense...

Did this all last year.

Please...
  • Rammer123
    edited August 2017
    Options

Nonsense...

Did this all last year.

Please...

So going back to the beginning, what is it that she said was nonsense?

"Carbs turn to sugar." True
    "Your body is significantly slowing down so you can sleep." True
    "Eating carbs right before bed will slow the fat burning process even more while your sleeping," True
    "and you may not sleep as well either" True
  • J72FIT
    Options

Nonsense...

Did this all last year.

Please...

You'll have to refresh my memory...
  • Rammer123
    Options

Nonsense...

Did this all last year.

Please...

You'll have to refresh my memory...

Edited my last post before I saw this
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

Nonsense...

Did this all last year.

But some of the things you say are odd. No one is attacking you. Just trying to understand where you get your information.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    I see it now. You are correct, nonsense was not the correct response. The correct response should have been minutia...
  • Rammer123
    Options

Nonsense...

Did this all last year.

But some of the things you say are odd. No one is attacking you. Just trying to understand where you get your information.

We're not talking about me to begin with. Like I said, I think you should read up thread to see what we are talking about.
  • J72FIT
    edited August 2017
    Options

Nonsense...

Did this all last year.

Please...

"Eating carbs right before bed will slow the fat burning process even more while your sleeping," True

All minutia except for sleep. That depends on the person...
  • Rammer123
    Options

Nonsense...

Did this all last year.

Please...

All minutia...

I agree
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    oof, if I go to bed hungry I was up with an upset stomach. If you are hungry before bed but don't have a ton of calories left, eat a big bowl of veggies- carrots, broccoli, celery- they all have waaaay low calorie counts
  • J72FIT
    Options
    If I go to bed hungry I wake up in the middle of the night without fail. On the flip side, if I go to bed stuffed I can't sleep. So I do neither and find a happy balance somewhere in the middle...