Any short girls 5"-5.2", experience with weight loss.

Options
Well I'm 5'1 and I started at 165 and I'm now 161 this Monday will be my third week. I really am trying to lose 2lbs a week in hopes or reaching between 135-145 (not sure what I want). I do the 1200 a day and am trying to get to the gym a few times a week. Anyone around my height struggling or succeeding? I guess I might be a little to hard on my self since its only been a little over 2 weeks but it can be frustrating considering how much I've cut down and how slowly its coming off.

Any one with progress pics? Tips?

Replies

• jfus14
    jfus14 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You have to stick with it. I am 5'2 and I lose VERY VERY slow.I started around the same start weight as you and I have lost about 15lbs since January. Some weeks it's a .2 loss. Some weeks it's a gain ( I follow weight watchers) Exercise is KEY too. I feel like even though the scale isn't moving I'm toning and my body is changing. It will all catch up.

It's really hard to say I want to lose 2lbs a week and make that happen (Especially as a woman!) Just keep at it. It will work!!!
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    My advice is to lose 1 lb. a week. 2 lbs is too much for your current weight and goals, especially for our little frames. o: Each lb. counts more, so they are not going to come off as easy. Patience is a virtue, and long term success with weight loss often depends on it.

I'm 5'1'' and started out at 180. I lost about 12 lbs. the first month, and then evened out to about 4-5 a month. I'm at 151 right now and am still losing at a fairly steady rate (although there is sometimes a week or two of static loss, but that's fine). My goal is 130.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and 29. I started last March around your weight and I weighed in at 143 this am and have been for a week. It's been very slow for me. I stopped and started 3x and this is the 2nd longest time I've stayed. it's very challenging for us shorties, just keep going is my best advice!
  • primalpam
    primalpam Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    5'2" -- lost 23 lbs doing heavy lifting 2xs weekly combined with cardio 3xs weekly. And I am over 40! A running injury sidelined me and I gained most of it back, starting again now. The weight lifting made all the difference. I had never done that before.
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I'm a 21 year old 5' 1.5 girl and my current weight is about the same as your current weight (started at 178). I've been going at this since the end of March and lost nearly 17 pounds so far. I average about 1.25lbs/week. Sometimes I lose nearly 2lbs a week and other weeks have been .2 or so. Funny enough my biggest weight loss weeks were when I went "over" my calories.
    Right now I aim to gross 1600 a day and I workout about 3 or 4 times a week. You can lose more by eating! I did 1200 in the beginning and lost weight, but I eventually "plateaued" and I was unhappy. It didn't seem like something I could do for the rest of my life. I'm no professional but I do realize that this is a lifestyle. It's going to take time (a whole lifetime!). You just have to keep at it. Congrats on your weight loss so far! You'll figure out what works best for you.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'm 30 years old, 5'1 and currently I am eating 1700 + exercise cals back. I lift 4x a week and will be doing some sort of light cardio on off days (elliptical, treadmill, yoga or tai chi).

Heaviest was 245lbs. Currently fluctuating between 174 and 180, but still losing inches.

Before this month, had macros set to 40/30/30. Changed for this month to 35% carbs, 35% protein and 30% fats.
  • twiztedminded575
    Options
    I'm just under 5'2. I've lost just under 33lbs since last October. The first month, I lost 8lbs. Then, I lost anywhere from 2-4lbs per month. For the past few months, it's slowed down a lot. I'm losing maybe 1-2lbs per month. I workout daily and do my TDEE-20%.
  • starfishme81
    starfishme81 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2 and have found that eating mostly proteins, vegetables and fruits have worked best for me. I have managed to lose nearly 30 pounds in the last three months. I try to limit processed foods, white flour and sugar. It is not for everyone, but works best for me. I also keep my calories at 1500. Hope this helps!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Eat more food. Seriously. You are 23, 5'1" and 161 lbs. Your RMR is at least 1534. If you are only eating 1200 calories a day, you are not eating enough.

I'm 40 years old, 5'2", currently 162 lbs., started at 170. I've been eating between 1600-1800 calories a day, working out about 3 times a week and I've lost 8 pounds in less than 4 weeks. I'm much older than you therefore my RMR is lower.

And 1 pound a week is more realistic. 4 pounds in 3 weeks is a good loss.

I agree with eating more. Speaking from experience, creating too large a deficit is counterproductive and potentially harmful.
  • danc1ngpocket
    danc1ngpocket Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 5 ft exactly and 29 years old. I currently fluctuate between 98 and 100 lbs.

When I first joined MFP 2 years ago I lost 14 lbs in the first month. I did the 30 day shred every day (for 30 days) plus another form of exercise like swimming, running, zumba or another Jillian micheals dvd every day.

I ATE BACK my exercise calories and ate a good mixed balance of foods. I then got pregnant, gained 2 stone and lost it all again in 8 weeks. 17 months after having my baby I am back to where I was pre pregnancy minus some muscle tone.

Find an exercise you love and go hard with it. Being small means you really have to push to get a good calorie burn in your workout but fuel your body well before and after that workout. Vary your workouts and try and get a good mix of cardio and strength training.

I will add that I teach hip hop and street dance so I am petite anyway. Not petite 'skinny' but petite = lean and strong and there is a huge difference there lol
    Hope that helps :)
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2, 30 years old this month and 153 pounds. I started at 155 four months ago. Only lost 2 pounds but a lot of inches. I eat around 1600 calories a day and do Insanity and weights.
  • taylorckt1
    taylorckt1 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and started in January at 260...I have dropped 56 lbs since starting and my goal is also 135-140 (or when I see what I like in the mirror)...I feel like I am successful and am trying to keep my mojo going so I can continue getting the results I have been getting

I eat 5 small meals per day...cut back on sugar, salt, bread, rice, pasta, and fast food. I try to exercise at least 5 days per week (no gym membership) by walking/jogging; you tube videos; and will begin weight/strength training this month.

Feel free to add me as a friend...I try to motivate those I interact with here on MFP and ask for the same in return. I am open, and honest as are my blogs/diary.
  • twiztedminded575
    Options
    micheleb15, You look amazing! We're close to the same height and weight (I'm large framed) and I don't look anywhere near as toned as you!!:bigsmile:

ETA who this comment was for haha
  • suzeya
    suzeya Posts: 12
    Options
    i've been doing this for a long time and i'm finally at the point where i don't want to kill myself trying to lose weight. i'd go all in with the diet, exercise at the gym, etc. i'd lose the weight but crash and burn after 6 months. this time i'm doing it slow and steady. it's been 4 months and i've lost 12 lbs. that's not a lot but i don't spend my life at the gym nor do i obsess about what i eat. i count my calories but i fall off the wagon and eat fried chicken or burgers and fries. cravings are esp bad around my TOM.

anyway, i understand the desire to lose 2 lbs a week-- who doesn't? but slow and steady will win the race and you'll be much happier in the end. the only exercise i do is walking to and from work (6 miles total) and i keep my net calories around 1200. those calories include sugar, fat, fried foods, burgers, etc. and i've still managed to lose weight.

all this to say, yes weight is slow to come off, but it will stay off if you can do something you can maintain for the rest of your life.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 1/2 but say I'm 5'3, lol.
    I have lost about 50 lbs total and still got a ways to go.

I recently took some pics:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1027474-50-lbs-down-and-still-counting

hope that link works :wink:

c0b9b275-775e-4db3-b6ef-12aba304a45d_zps47db381c.jpg
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I'm a 45 year old wife and mother of two (son 13, girl 6) and I'm 5'2". I've been on MFP for over 2 years and had reached my goal a little over a year ago. Since then, I have become lazy and fell back in to old habits. I've jumped back on the wagon and started to eat right and exercise again. I am down 4.2 lbs in the last 8 days but that is mostly bloat and water-weight coming off. It will slow down soon and then the hard work begins. Shoot for a pound or even half a pound per week. It's more achievable without burning you out. Set long term goals and change your lifestyle. Dieting and trying to lose weight quickly is a recipe for failure. You can do this! I'm proof! And I plan to prove it again this time around. :)

Progress pics:

beforeafter_02.jpg

22_year.jpg
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    My profile pic is my most recent progress pic. I started at 192 and I've lost 39 pounds (gained a couple over vacation). My goal weight is around 130-135.

Take it a day at a time.

It took me about a year to lose what I have lost. Some may say that's slow but I wanted to actually adopt healthier habits rather than simply lose weight I couldn't keep off. Taking it a day at a time and slowly adding/removing/changing things over time made the transition much easier.

Also, you can eat way more than you think. I currently eat between 1500 and 1600 calories a day. I know that scares a lot of people so if it does, just got up 100 calories every few months like I did. Basically if I started to feel hungry too often, I'd go up. Do tons of research, try new things every few weeks.

If you're interested in more progress pics/info, check out my blog thickfinehealthy.com :)

I'm 5'1" btw.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    micheleb15, You look amazing! We're close to the same height and weight (I'm large framed) and I don't look anywhere near as toned as you!!:bigsmile:

ETA who this comment was for haha

Thanks! I'm glad I took a before photo. Months went by where I swore I was the same size.
  • lilcassers
    lilcassers Posts: 163
    Options
    yea you need to give yourself at least a month. results will come. be patient and stay strong :)

<< 5 foot gal here!
  • xbeth77x
    xbeth77x Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You've lost 4 lbs in 2-3 weeks?! That is an awesome loss!! Trust me, it could be WAY worse and WAY slower. I'm 4'11" and it has taken me 6 months to lose 8 pounds!

Keep up the good work! You got this :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!