Any short girls 5"-5.2", experience with weight loss.

Options

Replies

• gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I am 4'10" and I have lost 35 pounds in almost a year. It takes more time if you are short, as we can not eat as much as taller people without exercising.

My advice would be to eat back about 1/2 of your exercise calories and aim to lose about 1/2 pound per week.

Good luck!!
  • irism211
    irism211 Posts: 5
    Options
    Wow thank you all! I'm so happy to see all the post! I just new shorter girls lost weight slower, I'm glad it wasn't in my head. Thank you for the advice I know i have to be patient but that's hard LOL! Love seeing the before and after pics. I hope to reach my goal in the next few months. I'll add you all!
  • sc10985
    sc10985 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I am similar to you,I I am 5'1" and I started at 158 and am now down to 141. It's taken 4 months. I did have a month long plateau where I got stuck at 145. But I redid my numbers on mfp and lost 4lbs in June! I find that I can consistently lose 1lb a week, usually no more. My goal weight is 130, but I'll see how I feel when I get there. Good luck and just remember, slow amd steady wins the race!

Edit to add: When I first started I lost at a much faster rate, like 9lbs the first month, then it slowed down.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1", lost 26 last year (yes it took 12 months). At that time, I worked out very little (maybe 3 times/week) and ate around 1200 calories.

This year, I upped the exercise in March and have lost 30 since March (had a few plateaus). I stay at 1200, I don't eat back exercise calories. Upped my protein and fat and dropped my sugar and carbs. I drink a gallon of water a day. No processed foods anymore either.

Find what works for you and stick with it. You weigh less than me and when I get to your weight, I will only expect to lose 1 pound/week. The 2 pounds per week are slowly coming to an end for me (however I've lost 3 pounds in the past 2 days so who knows). It just depends if I stick to exercising (oh, yeah, 2 to 3x/day now!), stick to eating healthy foods and drinking enough water.

Good luck!
  • Maridinger
    Maridinger Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Fell free to add me! I am 26, 5'2 and currently weigh 162.2 lbs. I started last year at 235lbs. I eat 1200-1500 calories a day. I don't eat clean...Iike my junk and sweet but I have found healthier ways to eat these things. My goal is 135lbs and then I will see what I want to be from there. I am currently in month 2 of Insanity. I have done numerous Jillian Michaels DVD's and walking/jogging on my treadmill. I have come a long way but still have a ways to go. Went from a size 23 pants to now size 9/10. You can do it!
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I struggled with the whole weight not coming off fast enough thing too but then I really thought about how long it took to put my weight on.
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I struggled with the whole weight not coming off fast enough thing too but then I really thought about how long it took to put my weight on.

Ya know what, when people say that, I cringe only because in December I gained 17 pounds in a month! So it's not really true for me, I lost 100 pounds 2 times before this time and when I put the weight back on, it was in a matter of months. Once you give up and turn back to fast food and crap food, the weight goes on WAY faster than taking it off. This time I know that it's not "once I get thin, I can eat anything"...it's a way of life everyday until I die to eat and work out to be healthy. That's what makes this time different.
  • ysikesp
    ysikesp Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1 feet and 145. I was 163 and started a low carb diet ( no exercise) on May and lost 18 lbs in 4 weeks.. Since June I got stuck at 145. My goal is 125 . Last week I started Insanity and a 1,500 calorie diet so lets see how it goes. Hope to see results soon because I am getting impacient and I really need motivation.
  • marisnancy
    Options
    I'm an insanity graduate too!! You will love insanity. I did it last summer and am stronger because of it. My new exercise is kickboxing ,which I do 3-4x per week (60 min classes). I absolutely LOVE it.

The initial weight you lose is mostly water and that will come off fast (referencing your 4lbs/month). Once the water weight is down, weight loss becomes slower because you are losing fat. It's about 3500 calories per lb. I agree with a previous post, 2lbs/week is an aggressive goal. I lost 7lbs in 3 months. However, I'm more aimed to tone than lose. We all have our personal goals, as long as your intake includes your vitamins and of course iron and calcium, go for it.

Low carb, 100g a day if you can swing it. If not, no biggie. Keep your protein higher than your fat and esp. your carbs and you are good to go!!

30 years old mother & wife
    5'2", 112.4 lbs

I still got that extra post pregnancy belly flab but I'm working on it!!! No weight loss for this gal, tone it UP!
  • jess6742
    jess6742 Posts: 146
    Options
    I am 24 years old and have lost about 30 pounds in the past 3 years or so (with long periods of purposfully maintaining in between). I'm 5'1 and currently 109lbs. I really believe that it is better to make small changes that you can live with forever and lose weight more slowly. I really don't have to think about what I eat or how much I work out any more to maintain because it's just my lifestyle now. I've done the whole fad diet thing before and it didn't ever produce anything long lasting.

I am back on mfp to lose the last few pounds. I workout 5-6 days a week but whenever I feel like it's time to get back to losing weight it is my diet that I really need to spruce up. Since we are so short we don't have as much room for error calorie-wise. Definitely feel free to add me. It's always great to have support from people in similar situations.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    my weight loss was super slow. i never lost more then 1.5 lbs a month max. it took me a year to lose 20 lbs. i only had 25 to lose. i'm 5.2 and started at 142 and now 117-118. can't seem to hit the 115 mark/ goal for the life of me, so i am only working on losing body fat now.
  • FocusNfit
    FocusNfit Posts: 7
    Options
    You have to stick with it. I am 5'2 and I lose VERY VERY slow.I started around the same start weight as you and I have lost about 15lbs since January. Some weeks it's a .2 loss. Some weeks it's a gain ( I follow weight watchers) Exercise is KEY too. I feel like even though the scale isn't moving I'm toning and my body is changing. It will all catch up.

It's really hard to say I want to lose 2lbs a week and make that happen (Especially as a woman!) Just keep at it. It will work!!!

^^^Yes
  • roughneckswife
    roughneckswife Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1, I've lost 50 pounds since January. It's been a slow process but it's coming off...I would like to lose another 50 at least!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I'm 51'5 and I've lost 130 lbs. It's taken me 2 years to reach my goal a little over 2 years, now I'm working on the jiggles. I do have a little loose skin but not as much as I could have if I went fast.

34spctl.jpg
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 1/2 but say I'm 5'3, lol.
    I have lost about 50 lbs total and still got a ways to go.

I recently took some pics:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1027474-50-lbs-down-and-still-counting

hope that link works :wink:

c0b9b275-775e-4db3-b6ef-12aba304a45d_zps47db381c.jpg

wow awesum job.. yesssssssssssssssssssssss huuuge diff!!!!
  • jellab
    jellab Posts: 35
    Options
    Hi there! I'm 5'2" and I've lost ~6 lbs since June 1. My starting weight was 135 and my goal weight is 115. I eat about 1200 cals/day and work out 6 days a week. 3 days of weights and 3 days of kick boxing. I'm trying to increase my cals, but the thought of it freaks me out. ;-)

I'm super impatient about losing this weight. I'm so anxious to just see what it's like I can't handle it. LOL! I'll keep at it like everyone says, but it would be nice to see more change with how hard I'm trying. Add me if you'd like. :-)
  • RedRita32
    RedRita32 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Yeah I started out at 202 now I'm 185 in 2 and 1/2 months...my weight loss is really slow..there was one month where I only lost 3 pounds...I have been noticing that if you have a lot of weight to lose you'll lose weight faster like over 100 pounds.if you have a smaller deficit you'll have a better chance of losing...I'm trying for a pound a week at a 500 cal deficit and eating back calories...I'm doing jillian michaels body revolution right now..which is 6 days a week with one rest day...just have to be patient!! :) and take your measurements! The month I lost only 3 pounds I lost 10 inches!! So I guess you'll never know lol :) anyone can add me! I would like to have more short friends :flowerforyou: I'm 5 '1 btw..
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Eat more food. Seriously. You are 23, 5'1" and 161 lbs. Your RMR is at least 1534. If you are only eating 1200 calories a day, you are not eating enough.

I'm 40 years old, 5'2", currently 162 lbs., started at 170. I've been eating between 1600-1800 calories a day, working out about 3 times a week and I've lost 8 pounds in less than 4 weeks. I'm much older than you therefore my RMR is lower.

And 1 pound a week is more realistic. 4 pounds in 3 weeks is a good loss.

Pretty much entirely THIS!!!

I set my goal to my BMR which is just under 1300. If I exercise I eat back pretty much everything up to about 1600 on my heavier training days.

Have a good google on things like BMR TDEE, and use some of the online calculators out there.
    Mine has been slow but steady with more important changes like inch-loss around my hips and waist and my body-fat % coming down.

Research!
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Eat more food. Seriously. You are 23, 5'1" and 161 lbs. Your RMR is at least 1534. If you are only eating 1200 calories a day, you are not eating enough.

I'm 40 years old, 5'2", currently 162 lbs., started at 170. I've been eating between 1600-1800 calories a day, working out about 3 times a week and I've lost 8 pounds in less than 4 weeks. I'm much older than you therefore my RMR is lower.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

What works for YOU might not work for everyone ELSE.

I'm 5'2" and done 1200 for the majority of my weight loss. If she doesn't want to eat more, who are you to say?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

I agree with eating more. Speaking from experience, creating too large a deficit is counterproductive and potentially harmful.

Same!!! I'm 5'1" and honestly, while short people do need *slightly* less than taller people, how much less is often grossly exaggerated.

I maintain at around 1900-2000 calories a day, and I'm not that active. I lose weight at 1850 cals/day for a slow cut (i.e. very slow fat loss). I'm currently eating to gain strength/muscle and not actually tracking, just eating plenty of food so long as most of it is nutritious and includes all the food groups especially protein. For a more aggressive cut I wouldn't go below 1600 cals/day, but in all honesty I wouldn't do an aggressive cut, because I'm already at a healthy body fat percentage and even if my body fat percentage creeps up a bit to high due to eating to gain strength, I'll cut it down again really slowly so I don't lose any lean body mass or strength in the process.

Slow fat loss is much healthier and less likely to cause problems, and it's easier to stick to long term. It isn't about how quickly you lose the fat, it's about whether or not you can maintain your goal weight for life when you get there. I reached my goal weight last year, and have been maintaining it without tracking, and in the last 9 weeks of eating for strength gains, I've gained 3lb (deliberately) and my body fat percentage has stayed the same.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!