Any short girls 5"-5.2", experience with weight loss.

Options

Replies

• FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 5ft2 and weight 221lbs. I lost 3lbs in my first month but have since plateaued. My goal is to be 134lbs. I know it will take a very long time, but have to be patient and work hard. I run 3 times a week using the C25K (on week 4 now), I walk 2.5 miles a couple of times a week, and tomorrow will be starting a body weight circuit I made, and will do that outside in the park with a friend. Although I haven't shifted any weight recently, I most definitely look less bloated, I think I've lost back fat, and my legs are a lot firmer. The results are beginning to show, just not on the scales. Feel free to add :)
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Eat more food. Seriously. You are 23, 5'1" and 161 lbs. Your RMR is at least 1534. If you are only eating 1200 calories a day, you are not eating enough.

I'm 40 years old, 5'2", currently 162 lbs., started at 170. I've been eating between 1600-1800 calories a day, working out about 3 times a week and I've lost 8 pounds in less than 4 weeks. I'm much older than you therefore my RMR is lower.

And 1 pound a week is more realistic. 4 pounds in 3 weeks is a good loss.
    BLAH BLAH BLAH

What works for YOU might not work for everyone ELSE.

I'm 5'2" and done 1200 for the majority of my weight loss. If she doesn't want to eat more, who are you to say?

I have to agree here, do what works for you. I get sick of seeing people shove what they do down others throat. Not saying anyone here is doing that but I've 130 lbs with 1200. I still eat 1200 because I would like to lose another 5-10 lbs. I maintain with 1300-1400 If I eat more I gain.

Don't try to lose fast, losing fast is not the best thing to do, being that you are 161 lbs, you don't have a lot to lose, when I first started I was able to lose 10 -15 lbs a month, but I had a lot to lose. Now it takes me a month to lose 1-2 lbs.
  • aliciarose511
    aliciarose511 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am 5’1”. I started at 191 in June of 2012 and am at 144 now. It took me about a year to lose 45 pounds.

For me, I lost 25 pounds fairly quickly and then it slowed down. I will sometimes go weeks without losing, but then I will lose 2 or 3lbs in a week, and then be steady for a few. Then maybe lose a pound or two and then be steady again. The important thing is that whether or not I am losing for a particular week, that I need up and don’t give up, because it comes off eventually. I am about 20 pounds from my goal of 125.

One thing to remember as short people, is that 5lbs on us is A LOT more than 5lbs on someone who is 5’8”, especially as you get closer to your goal. Now that I have less fat on my frame, when I lose 5lbs there is a NOTICABLE change in my body, where this might not happen with someone who is taller. So while a pound a week might not seem like a lot, on someone who hovers around 5 feet, it really is.

For me, I eat about 1200 per day, but I eat nurturance dense foods, and when I exercise, I use my best judgment on eating more. If I am legitimately hungry and I have eaten well all day, I eat more. I also tend to eat a bit more on the weekend. I do a combination of cardio and lifting.

EXERCISE has been key for me. I was able to get weight off by dieting alone, but I really saw a difference when I added exercise. I also like the overall shape of my body better when I am working out. I exercise 5-6 days a week. I work full time and am a full time MBA student, so it is hard but WORTH IT.
  • NathanFronk
    NathanFronk Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Eat more food. Seriously. You are 23, 5'1" and 161 lbs. Your RMR is at least 1534. If you are only eating 1200 calories a day, you are not eating enough.

I'm 40 years old, 5'2", currently 162 lbs., started at 170. I've been eating between 1600-1800 calories a day, working out about 3 times a week and I've lost 8 pounds in less than 4 weeks. I'm much older than you therefore my RMR is lower.

And 1 pound a week is more realistic. 4 pounds in 3 weeks is a good loss.
    BLAH BLAH BLAH

What works for YOU might not work for everyone ELSE.

I'm 5'2" and done 1200 for the majority of my weight loss. If she doesn't want to eat more, who are you to say?

This.

Plus if her BMR is 1534 and she is lightly active the OP will burn 1900-2000 calories/day. If she wants to lose 2 lbs each week she would have to stick to 900-1000 calories, or exercise to earn some extra calories. Your advice of "eat more" is ludicrous. What's your idea? Eat 1800 calories/day, hope you didn't underestimate your calorie intake, and lose .4 lbs per week? This amounts to Chinese water torture.

Except if you were undergoing Chinese water torture you could reasonably expect to lose weight.
  • red8424
    red8424 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    5'2 and have lost about 17 lbs since January. Started at 154. The first 12 lbs were easy and then I have plateaud several times. Today I was down 1lb from about a month ago. But on the upside, I have lost 10.5 inches and gone down about 4 sizes in my clothes. I have stopped focusing so much on the scale number and use the mirror and my clothes as a gauge. I eat about 1590 calories a day and exercise 5+ days per week which means I net around 1200 when you subtract exercise. You have to eat enough to make it work. And it takes patience! Best of luck to everyone and feel free to add!
  • fireant777
    fireant777 Posts: 15
    Options
    First of all! YOU NEED TO EAT MORE!!!!

I hate coming on here and seeing girls who eat 1200 calories or less.. you said it yourself, you doing, "the 1200 calorie thing".

Let me just tell you it doesn't work! your body is going to need more than that in the long run. you may feel like it's working now, but in a month when your stalled your gonna have to up it and restore your metabolism because your body will just gain and hold on to any extra calories.

Start the right way now before your have to reset later. just wanted to be upfront so you understand that low cal is not the way to go.

I am 5'0" 19 years old, and currently 115 lbs.
    I started 5 years ago at 140+ lbs.

The only way your going to get where you want is eating right (and enough) and working out (mainly lifting)

Find your TDEE from an online calculator. This is your maintenance calories. You want to eat at your TDEE for at least two weeks to get your metabolism where you want it. you may gain a couple lbs, but the following week you with throw in your deficit. I would do 250-500 calories below maintenance.
    This with a good workout routine is a good place to start.

Try 3 days of lifting and 1-2 days of cardio.. hope this helps.
  • tizmi
    tizmi Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' and I have lost just shy of 24lb since I started going to Curves in late March and 19lb since I started using MFP in mid-April - an average of about 1.6lb a week. I started at 211lb and am now at 187.2lb. No pictures I'm afraid, I am still camera-shy =(

So not super-fast or super-slow weight loss, but I think it's important to hit on a ideal rate to keep motivation up.

Sure, it's better to lose weight slowly, but for someone like me with 100lb to lose 0.5lb a week on average is just too little to keep me motivated for a near 4-year haul. For you, I wouldn't stress over not losing 2lb exactly every week, especially as you are not aiming to lose a massive amount...relatively speaking of course!

I eat 1200 net or there-abouts - being able to earn extra calories so I can eat more heartily definitely helps, so even on days when I don't go to Curves I make sure to walk to pass my 10k steps goal every day and that grabs me 400-odd extra calories. I would definitely recommend that you eat any calories that you earn through exercise - you deserve them! And best of luck to you!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I'm a 45 year old wife and mother of two (son 13, girl 6) and I'm 5'2". I've been on MFP for over 2 years and had reached my goal a little over a year ago. Since then, I have become lazy and fell back in to old habits. I've jumped back on the wagon and started to eat right and exercise again. I am down 4.2 lbs in the last 8 days but that is mostly bloat and water-weight coming off. It will slow down soon and then the hard work begins. Shoot for a pound or even half a pound per week. It's more achievable without burning you out. Set long term goals and change your lifestyle. Dieting and trying to lose weight quickly is a recipe for failure. You can do this! I'm proof! And I plan to prove it again this time around. :)

Progress pics:

beforeafter_02.jpg

22_year.jpg

great job!!! you look amazing!!! I am 5'2 too, started at 170, now about 113 , highs chool I was 116 :bigsmile:
  • Laurelly9
    Laurelly9 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm 5 foot 1... I started off at over 160 and I'm now stuck at 141-143... But I've made substantial losses around my thighs, hips, stomach ect... I want to get to 125-130!
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jesslynn48
    jesslynn48 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2. I'm about 117 pounds now. I went on vacation in May and was up to 125, so it's taken about 2 months to drop 10 pounds on 1200 calories a day. I don't eat the best sometimes, but try to make sure I don't go too much above 1200 except on days when I work out. I also try sticking to eating around the same times everyday so my body gets used to a routine and I don't get hungry.

My build is meant to be small and I used to be much heavier...I lost weight over the years without really trying due to stress and what not but now that I'm tracking calories and working out I've found the weight comes off more consistently (about .5 - 1 pound a week)
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    replying to read later. 25lbs down, 11 at least more to go!
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Site maintenance, accidentally posted twice :(
  • Khrisxtine
    Options
    I'm also a shorty! :)

I'm 5'0, had my 3rd baby girl and actually had posted my journey on my blogs..

I also was about 165lbs.. MFP has helped me lose weight as well as hold me accountable!

here is my most recent 12 week transformation that I documented on my blog:
    http://fitmomxtine.com/fitness/featured-posts/my-12-week-weight-loss-progress/

and some pictures:
    http://fitmomxtine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/timeline1front.png
    http://fitmomxtine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/timeline1side.png
    http://fitmomxtine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/timeline1back.png
  • LoisLane11
    LoisLane11 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1 154 lbs and 27. I want to get back to 130 which is what I weighed when I met my sweetheart. We both gained happy weight and want to get back to where we were. It is coming off soooooo slowly. I was at 165 in January. I'm trying to do Jillian Michael's no more trouble zones as many times a week as I can. I am seeing small changes but I need to switch up my food. I'm trying sensa right now to see if that helps with my nighttime cravings

Shorter girls have it rough, but we can date most any guy!
  • aneetar
    aneetar Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Short and struggling, that's me at 152 cms and 66 kilos. And this is a U-turn from as late as last October when I was 6 kilos lighter (but not a centimetre taller :)), after gradual weight loss from my highest, about 70 kg from the month of May the year before. The first weight loss came slowly, but ah so joyous it was to find I could move out of Size M back to S after four miserable years of my brain not understanding my body was bigger and constantly crashing into stuff :) To return to my new woes though, I live in India and eat Indian food, for which there aren't many reliable trackers. So, MFP says I should eat about 1200 calories, and 1750 is my maintenance level; these last five days, since I started to get back onto the path of virtue again, I find I can't make it at less than 17/800! The temperature outside is about 45 degrees centigrade, so walking, my favorite exercise is out of question; I need encouragement to somehow make it to the gym everyday and not be shy about it!
  • aneetar
    aneetar Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    oops! double post because of site maintenance!
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1" and older (55). Been losing steadily since August, recently slowed down a bit. My main exercise is walking. I focus on healthy eating and have lost most of my weight through that method. I don't tend to eat back exercise calories unless I'm really hungry.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I'm 51'5 and I've lost 130 lbs. It's taken me 2 years to reach my goal a little over 2 years, now I'm working on the jiggles. I do have a little loose skin but not as much as I could have if I went fast.

34spctl.jpg

AMAZING JOB!
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 1/2 but say I'm 5'3, lol.
    I have lost about 50 lbs total and still got a ways to go.

I recently took some pics:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1027474-50-lbs-down-and-still-counting

hope that link works :wink:

c0b9b275-775e-4db3-b6ef-12aba304a45d_zps47db381c.jpg

wow awesum job.. yesssssssssssssssssssssss huuuge diff!!!!

THANKS!!!
    :happy:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!