Customer On Mobile Refused Service

Options

Replies

• maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    it's the craziest thing ever, but this is what i do... are you ready to have your mind blown??

"hang on a sec, i'm at the front of the line"
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    some people don't care, they just want it all in the same bag if they are paying 5 cents per bag...some people REALLY care....

You have to pay per bag? Seriously, I've never seen this down in Americas.

LA just passed something like this for within the city I believe.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    As a cashier, the amount of annoyance at people on the phone depends on their reaction to my questions.

It is part of my job to get at least 80% phone capture, and 50% email capture. If I skip through those steps without asking the customer for them and a manager sees, that's my *kitten*. So if you're on the phone, I'm still gonna ask all the questions I need to ask. Some people will answer me politely. Other times I get a hand wave of dismissal like "go away".

I asked one woman on her phone if she wanted her receipt in the bag. She gave me the go away hand wave so I went to put the receipt in the bag and she snapped her fingers at me and pointed at the receipt and gave me a hand movement like "give that here". I am not a dog. I don't respond to snaps and hand movements, *****. -.-
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    some people don't care, they just want it all in the same bag if they are paying 5 cents per bag...some people REALLY care....

it's part of the recycling initiative....

and it's working....people either bring their own bags or use less....

This is just craziness. I take all my plastic bags and just toss them in the trash. I'll start mailing them to you, for $0.05USD.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    Guess it makes me a jerk... but if someone said to me "Get off your phone or I won't serve you" I would say "Get me your manager so we can chat about how I'm probably not shopping here again". :blushing:

I don't feel that ME being on the phone is anymore rude than the cashier and the bagger discussing their weekend plans... or the cashier saying "How are you today" and not even looking me in the face because it's just automatic to say it and not give a damn about the response. Not there to make life long friends with the clerk... I'm there to get my stuff, pay for it, and get out.

I usually do say to whomever I am speaking to "Just hold on a minute, I'm checking out" and keep quiet long enough to swipe the card and answer questions if there are any from the clerk. Good enough for me... and seems to work for the clerks in my area too.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Austin recently implemented a no-plastic ordinance. You have to bring your own bags (and this is everywhere, not just grocery stores) or pay a small fee. At my grocery store, the first bag is free, but additional bags are 25 cents each. At Wal-Mart, I think it's 10 cents per paper bag.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    People who are on the phone while in line and remain on the phone while being checked out is just pure and simple RUDE. If I am on the phone I will ask if I can call them back, I am at the register. The cashier deserves my attention at that point in time.

I went into a store the other day and a sign is posted -"We will refuse service to you if you are on the phone during a transaction/" Technology sadly today has made people rude and inconsiderate of others.

SMH manners have totally gone by the wayside....
  • NicoleMGetsFit
    NicoleMGetsFit Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am not a dog. I don't respond to snaps and hand movements, *****. -.-

I've been whistled at, clicked at and demanded...
    I don't mind customers who are on the phone who still make the effort to have some sort of polite contact with you, but some are just down right rude.
    I agree, cashiers are people earning a living- they do not deserve your crap!
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

it's part of the recycling initiative....

and it's working....people either bring their own bags or use less....

This is just craziness. I take all my plastic bags and just toss them in the trash. I'll start mailing them to you, for $0.05USD.

USA! USA! USA! USA!
  • msuspartan10
    msuspartan10 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I cashier in the evenings and weekends. I think it's incredibly rude to talk on the phone when you are supposed to be paying attention to your order. I get frustrated when customers make it my fault that their things got mixed up with the person behind them because it was squished by the bottle neck on the belt or just plain fell off their giant stack of haphazard groceries because they weren't paying attention. That being said, I would never tell a person to get off their phone. I have certain questions I have to ask. I just ask them anyway, loudly. If it interrupts the customer's conversation, I just shrug.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    As for the phone issue, people are just rude in general when it comes to cell phones. To most people, there is no such thing as an inappropriate place to be on a cell phone, not even while sitting on the toilet in a public restroom. Don't even get me started on Screaming Bluetooth Guy, who insists that every person within earshot hear his end of whatever terribly important conversation he's engaged in. Nobody seems to understand the concept of letting calls roll to voicemail or getting up and leaving the area to have your conversation in private.
  • UnwrappingCandy
    UnwrappingCandy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    As a cashier, the amount of annoyance at people on the phone depends on their reaction to my questions.

It is part of my job to get at least 80% phone capture, and 50% email capture. If I skip through those steps without asking the customer for them and a manager sees, that's my *kitten*. So if you're on the phone, I'm still gonna ask all the questions I need to ask. Some people will answer me politely. Other times I get a hand wave of dismissal like "go away".

I asked one woman on her phone if she wanted her receipt in the bag. She gave me the go away hand wave so I went to put the receipt in the bag and she snapped her fingers at me and pointed at the receipt and gave me a hand movement like "give that here". I am not a dog. I don't respond to snaps and hand movements, *****. -.-

I would have kicked her in the box, opened whatever liquid stuff she got, and dumped it on her. You must be a superhero to have not done anything to eff up her day.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Do you think that checkout assistants should refuse to serve a customer who is on their mobile at the time?

Yes, and at the same time, stores should quit making the cashier be the person who answers the main phone for the store.
    Nothing like standing in a line 4+ people long, and the cashier has to answer the phone and tell someone yes they are open, yes, they have Prince Albert in a can, no, it is not on sale, here are directions to the store, etc. Umm... we are standing here, money in hand. Treat us like customers whom you value.
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    I am not a dog. I don't respond to snaps and hand movements, *****. -.-

I've been whistled at, clicked at and demanded...
    I don't mind customers who are on the phone who still make the effort to have some sort of polite contact with you, but some are just down right rude.
    I agree, cashiers are people earning a living- they do not deserve your crap!

Sure, I get lots of customers on their phones, but they still respond to my questions, ask how I'm doing...they don't feel like calling the person back, but they tell them to hang on a minute. I don't mind that. It's the people that ignore me that piss me off.
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    Do you think that checkout assistants should refuse to serve a customer who is on their mobile at the time?

Yes, and at the same time, stores should quit making the cashier be the person who answers the main phone for the store.
    Nothing like standing in a line 4+ people long, and the cashier has to answer the phone and tell someone yes they are open, yes, they have Prince Albert in a can, no, it is not on sale, here are directions to the store, etc. Umm... we are standing here, money in hand. Treat us like customers whom you value.

I really hate having to answer the phone or be yelled at. I always ask who I'm serving if I can answer that to tell them to hold. I don't answer questions though. It comes out more like "VICTORIA'SSECRETWESTFARMSPLEASEHOLD" click.
  • cmpollard01
    cmpollard01 Posts: 246
    Options
    This is one of my biggest pet peeves! When I worked on the teller line at the bank I used to work for, I was known for talking obnoxiously loud and continuously to those that wanted to stay on the phone. There were certain customers that would indicate that they were on the phone with an ill elderly relative, etc, and I'd cut them a little bit of slack on something like that. But the people that were prattling on about their drunken escapades over the weekend, then had the nerve to give me the "wait a minute' finger when i asked a question? They were always treated with professionalism, but cool detachment. You can bet there weren't many people that tried it a second time at any branch I was ever at.

It's rude-period. If I'm on a call in a store, I refuse to go to the checkout line until I am finished. And if someone calls while I'm checking out, they can wait. If it's an emergency they'll let me know. When did we as a human race decide that a tiny piece of technology was more important than civility and manners to our fellow human beings?!

Kudos to that cashier!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I don't know about that particular store, but many I've been to DO have that policy. I think it is perfectly fair and promotes respectable behavior.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

That's why I always pretend to be on the phone when I'm checking out: so you can't ask me for my phone number or email, or try to force another credit card on me... :wink:
  • michellechawner
    Options

Um, we have this law in Los Angeles CA. They just passed it a few weeks ago. We also get money back for using our own reusable blags :)
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    A cashier? No.
    Hell, I'll fake a convo on my 'mobile' just to avoid talking to them.
This discussion has been closed.