So you just woke up one day and...

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I doubt many people did wake up one day and change everything forever. Most people have off days or weeks, even months. Most people slip back into old habits now and then. It's shaking those times off and moving on that leads to long term success. Weight control is a lifelong thing, it's neither necessary or normal to be perfect every day.

5 lbs in a month is great! At that rate you'd lose 60 lbs in a year!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Five pounds in a month is a great loss, at a bit over a pound a week.

I told myself that it was going to take a long time. I figured eighteen months to my goal at the time. In reality, I've been at this since January 2014 and have been off track for the past 8-9 months, so I'm only now buckling down. But I've learned what works for me (moderation) and what doesn't (restriction).

Have you read this thread? https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

None of that is new information for me... Honestly I don't think there is any "new" information. 5lbs a month isn't enough for someone at my size.

I obviously just don't care enough about myself to do better.

Yes, it is.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I always want to lose weight. But one day I woke up and decided to do things about it.
    Joined weight watchers first, since I'd been successful there before. I also joined curves, a woman's gym. This time, however, weight watchers did not work for me, so I quit, I went to a medical professional, and a dietitian. I had my thyroid tested, and found out I had hypothyroidism, and was put on medication. I also quit Curves because I didn't feel like I was getting enough of a workout, and found an exercise video series that I liked much better. Since I have been going to the diet doctor and dietitian, I have been on a lower carb higher protein and fat diet, and I have been losing weight slowly. I would love to lose 5 pounds in one month, usually for me it's about 2 pounds a month. But I have been losing inches because I have been exercising nearly every day since I started this in July. I did not make all changes at one time. First I stopped eating bread. Then I stopped eating rice, and pasta. Then I had to change the fruits that I was eating, and adding more vegetables to my diet and fiber. I started weighing and measuring my food again to make sure my portions were correct.
    It's a lot to do, but to me, it's worth it. It is an ongoing process, that I am still learning about. But I am losing even if it's slowly, and my body is in better shape than it has been in a long time.
    Like anything else this is something that you have to learn how To do in order to be successful.
  • clhoward6
    clhoward6 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Annnnd..we have some more "tough Love" type posts. Empathy people, empathy!!

I have been through years of "f**k it, pass the pizza, because I didn't care enough. Now there are some things I care about and I had to face up to it. Last year I was ill for four months and then developed a bad back. I had to tell my friends no to so many things and became almost a hermit. I haven't recovered yet (although its a bit better now) but hopefully as the weight goes it will help a bit.

I have to plan any outing meticulously to ensure I can park somewhere close to where I'm going because I can't walk far without being in unbelievable amounts of pain. I don't want to tell people this because I'm embarrassed so I end up not going. I had to ask for an extender belt on a plane last year because I've now got to that point oh how embarrassed was I? Well, I'm 38 years old, I'm single and I don't want to spend my life just working or being on my own all the time. Being fat controls everything I do and is constantly in my thoughts. It has way too much control over my life and that is my motivation.

I would recommend you really face what the extra weight does to your life. It will be very personal to you, but you have to be honest with yourself. Then you might find that reminding yourself of these things helps to keep you motivated for the long haul.

Also really log everything accurately, even if you have gone well over your target for the day. Its worth it to know what you're eating and to be able to put a number to it, it might help your decision making process.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options

I told myself that it was going to take a long time. I figured eighteen months to my goal at the time. In reality, I've been at this since January 2014 and have been off track for the past 8-9 months, so I'm only now buckling down. But I've learned what works for me (moderation) and what doesn't (restriction).

Have you read this thread? https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

None of that is new information for me... Honestly I don't think there is any "new" information. 5lbs a month isn't enough for someone at my size.

Two red flags here. Like others have said, 5 pounds in a month is a great loss. If that's never going to be good enough for you, you're going to have a hard time at this. Healthy, sustainable weight loss is a slow process, I don't care what size you are. Yes, some people put up big numbers those first few weeks, but that's mostly water weight and always slows down. This is not a race, it's a lifetime journey.

Caring about yourself doesn't mean losing the most weight in the shortest amount of time. If you didn't care about yourself, you wouldn't be here asking this question. So give yourself a freaking break, ok. There will be times you do everything right, but the scale doesn't budge. That's just how it goes for all of us. And even when you do slip up, you can't beat yourself up about it. Just try and do better tomorrow. Each day is an opportunity to improve.

FWIW, I've lost over 50 pounds since last June. It's been slow, and I've had a couple of minor setbacks (I'm talking to you, Thanksgiving!) but those 8.5 months would have passed anyway. Now instead of being even heavier and feeling worse, I've lost 25% of my body weight and feel fantastic! Like my mom always said, nothing worthwhile ever comes easy.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    clhoward6 wrote: »

I have been through years of "f**k it, pass the pizza, because I didn't care enough. Now there are some things I care about and I had to face up to it. Last year I was ill for four months and then developed a bad back. I had to tell my friends no to so many things and became almost a hermit. I haven't recovered yet (although its a bit better now) but hopefully as the weight goes it will help a bit.

I have to plan any outing meticulously to ensure I can park somewhere close to where I'm going because I can't walk far without being in unbelievable amounts of pain. I don't want to tell people this because I'm embarrassed so I end up not going. I had to ask for an extender belt on a plane last year because I've now got to that point oh how embarrassed was I? Well, I'm 38 years old, I'm single and I don't want to spend my life just working or being on my own all the time. Being fat controls everything I do and is constantly in my thoughts. It has way too much control over my life and that is my motivation.

I would recommend you really face what the extra weight does to your life. It will be very personal to you, but you have to be honest with yourself. Then you might find that reminding yourself of these things helps to keep you motivated for the long haul.

Also really log everything accurately, even if you have gone well over your target for the day. Its worth it to know what you're eating and to be able to put a number to it, it might help your decision making process.

I have empathy...I was obese (lost 60lbs) but I didn't feel sorry for myself when I lost 5lbs in one month...I was happy that it was working.

I got sick and tired of being sick and tired and it hurting as I walked and being unhealthy.

You will have to excuse me if I don't fall for the posts that are looking for "ah poor thing...." response...not getting it from me.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I didn't just wake up one day motivated. I had to gradually realize that my weight was making me a very unhappy person and I knew very well what would correct that. I just didn't want to do it.

I worked up my resolve and took a baby step. I didn't change anything about the way I eat, but just reduced my portions, weighed them and logged them. I'm still not eating all the vegetables I should or getting the exercise I'm supposed to. Baby steps.

Time will pass whether you do this or not. In a year from now, you could be significantly closer to your goal, if not already there. If you quit, where will you be in a year?

Come on. Just do this. Be relentless.

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

Huh? Well, you can lose 5lbs a month and be 60 lbs lighter in a year, or you could do nothing and stay the same weight or heavier.
  • JenniferLynWhatx
    JenniferLynWhatx Posts: 141 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Oh how little empathy the people on this site have. Smh. I knew better than to post about this. Lesson learned. I hope none of you ever have a bad day, just to have someone say "suck it up." If you don't have anything nice to say....

But thank you to everyone who responded with their experiences and words of encouragement. I sincerely doubt that there has ever been an obese person who never had a moment of self-doubt and self-pity. Smh.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

I see a lot of "empathy" here in this thread. And good advice.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Oh how little empathy the people on this site have. Smh. I knew better than to post about this. Lesson learned. I hope none of you ever have a bad day, just to have someone say "suck it up." If you don't have anything nice to say....

But thank you to everyone who responded with their experiences and words of encouragement. I sincerely doubt that there has eve been an obese person who never had a moment of self-doubt and self-pity. Smh.

Instead of whinging about a perceived lack of empathy, consider that a lot of the posters in this thread have been where you are and are giving you the honest truth about what you need to do. We can sit around her and blow smoke up your *kitten* all day but the bottom line is that until you change your woe-is-me attitude and actually take steps in the right direction, your weight and fitness level are not going to improve. As my dad would say, "s*** or get off the pot."
  • Veryana
    Veryana Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of ways to care for your body and it might help start thinking of offering your body nutrients and food to make it healthy and feel good instead of thinking "I'll lose weight by eating less and healthier". Exercise to make your body stronger, faster and more flexible to be able to do things you want to do. Offer and give instead of take away and force it. That's how I have started to think and I haven't had it this easy before.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

But thank you to everyone who responded with their experiences and words of encouragement. I sincerely doubt that there has ever been an obese person who never had a moment of self-doubt and self-pity. Smh.

really did you read my first post?

I have bad days but I suck it up...think about the day I ate a 1590 calorie sandwich for breakfast...did I beat myself up? nope? did I call myself stupid? nope...just moved more and ate reasonably for the rest of the day.

self doubt is one thing self pity is another esp when you come to the internet for more.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    So all you successful people just woke up one day, started eating less and working out, and never stopped? I go on again and off again, never manage to lose any weight, and it's extremely discouraging. I've always been big, but then one day my thyroid was like "bye Felicia" and it was like I woke up HUGE. I managed to log every day for over a month. Lost barely 5 lbs... And then, just like all the other times I've tried in my life, I stopped. How do you just wake up one day and change everything forever?

pretty much yes

took me 30 years to get to that point ...I'd suggest you don't leave it as long and commit
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm on day 506 of logging everything I eat. Prior to this time period, I had 15 years of trying to lose weight, losing some, gaining it back, giving up, starting again.
    I think this time I had a day where I was scared and determined enough to seriously improve my health. I was in pain and needed to change so I could live the life I wanted. I didn't put a deadline on my weight loss. I was determined that I would eat like a normal human being and not kill myself with exercise. No restrictive diet and aiming for 30 minutes of exercise.
    The exercise was the hardest part because I was in very poor shape starting out. I was out of breath just climbing stairs in my house. I couldn't even bend over very well. I found some seated workouts on You Tube that I could do for older, obese or injured people (Live Exercise launchpad, Priority One, Jessica Smith TV). It wasn't sexy or cool but eventually I could do more walking based workouts (more Jessica Smith, Leslie Sansone). Now I can mix things up more.
    I started prelogging my food for the day every morning before breakfast and found it was pretty easy to do that and just eat what I had logged. Logging is a habit like brushing my teeth now. I eat pretty much the same stuff my family eats just appropriate portions for me.
    I did not lose 25 lbs all in one month and I am not at my ultimate goal yet but I am 9 lbs away from not being overweight anymore, at my lowest weight in 5 years and feeling so much better that no way am I stopping watching my calorie intake. I don't think about forever, just what I have to do with the day in front of me. Every day is a new day with new choices.
  • KrysGettinFit
    KrysGettinFit Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have a thyroid issue and have had one for my entire life, just about. I started losing weight about 4 years ago and it was because I was just so frustrated with how I looked and felt. My best friend started me on MFP and I started blogging to keep myself accountable. I got pregnant with my son, had him and gained 60 pounds. It took me almost 2 years but I finally hit my breaking point and am back to basics. It's HARD to lose weight with a thyroid issue and it's even harder to keep it off. You just have to be dedicated and take any progress in a positive way, 5 lbs in a month is normal and is GREAT. Look at your achievements as what they are, a great step and a success and look at your downfalls as bad days and don't let them turn into bad weeks/months/years. Having a negative outlook on it does not help, also don't look at it as a diet, look at it as you are changing the way you look at food and doing the best thing you can to keep yourself healthy. Best of luck.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    LOL I totally missed the part where you believe that other peoples sympathy or empathy is going to make the difference to your ability to not stuff too many calories into your mouth

well you have my empathy ...been there, done that, got the t-shirts .. in loads of different sizes :)

doesn't change anything though does it
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

really did you read my first post?

I have bad days but I suck it up...think about the day I ate a 1590 calorie sandwich for breakfast...did I beat myself up? nope? did I call myself stupid? nope...just moved more and ate reasonably for the rest of the day.

self doubt is one thing self pity is another esp when you come to the internet for more.

Holy moly! I hope it tasted good.
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Five pounds a month is great. You can lose five pounds a month and be 60 pounds lighter by this time next year. Or you can choose not to do anything and be as heavy as you are right now, but a year older with skin that has been stretched out for a year longer and has lost a bit more elasticity, meaning that if you do eventually lose the weight its ability to shrink back is likely to be a bit more diminished.

I don't know if this helps the OP, but I appreciate what you wrote here. Awesome! I like the way you looked at this!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I didn't 'just wake up one day'. It took me months and months to prepare myself mentally to actually change my lifestyle, and not just eat less for a few months to lose weight. But that's why I stuck to it... I was actually ready.

I'd say that 99% of people who try to lose weight just don't see the big picture and don't really realize what it entails to lose weight and maintain that loss. So they give up as soon as soon as it gets harder than they thought. You got to realize when you start that you'll never be able to eat the same way again, that you'll probably still have to restrict yourself after you lose the weight, that some months you won't lose as much as others, but telling yourself that even if the scale doesn't show up, you're getting healthier and stronger.