How much sleep do you need to feel fully rested at your current age?

ForecasterJason
ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
I wanted to see if I could draw any kind of correlation between age and amount of sleep needed from those on here. Post the minimum number of hours of sleep you need to fully function and your current age. If your sleep needs have changed over the course of adulthood, feel free to note that as well.

I'm 21 and am trying to get a good handle on how many hours I really need if I can get into a very deep sleep (my sleep tends to be fairly light). About 1-2 years ago I think I needed about 8 hours of (deep enough) sleep, but now it seems like 7 hours can be enough if my sleep is deep. If my assessment of how much sleep I need is correct, I suspect the difference is due to my body changing as I move further away from the adolescent years. Otherwise, if my sleep is lighter/more fragmented I need close to 8 hours.

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    I'm 31. 7-9 hours is ideal for me.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    I'm 39. If I can get a full 6hrs, it's a good day for me.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    if i can get 6-7 that would be good. 8-9 would be fantastic. i'm 41
  • KeepingUpWithKari
    KeepingUpWithKari Posts: 287 Member
    6, I feel good, 8 I feel brand new.

And I'm 23..
  • melmelw03
    melmelw03 Posts: 5,338 Member
    35, I'm ok with 5. Better with 6.
  • PalePocahontas
    PalePocahontas Posts: 1,130 Member
    22.. About 10 hours
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    I'm 49. I like 7-8 hours.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    I'm 25. If its just for one day I can deal with 4-5, but on vg over a week I prefer 8-9hrs to feel fully rested
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited March 2016
    Who the hell knows, I haven't felt fully rested since I had kids...a good night is probably 6 hours of actual sleep...not straight through minds you, I haven't slept a whole night through in ages.
  • deaddolly
    deaddolly Posts: 107 Member
    I'll be 60 this year...I would like to get 8 hours straight. But, it rarely happens. I have 6 dogs, so am woken up at least 2 times a night. The most I get at one time is 3 hours....for a total of 6-7. I am a firm believer in naps and routinely try to catch at least 1/2 hour after work. On the rare occasions, the dogs let me sleep, I feel great after 8 hours. Not so much if I'm up several times during the night.
  • KayTeeOne
    KayTeeOne Posts: 123 Member
    6 to eight hours of sleep is sufficient for anyone above 10 . I think
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited March 2016
    53 - 5.5 to 6 is normal on weekdays and 7-8 on weekends. I have the same issue as wolfman - I has kids and grandkids in the house most days... plus dogs and cats - a truly uninterrupted night is a rarity.
  • kmmykietiuk17
    kmmykietiuk17 Posts: 28 Member
    I was working 2 jobs, at starbucks and at a gym. Id work at Starbucks 4:30am-12pm then at the gym 3pm-10pm. on top of that school full time. I would average about 4 hours of sleep per night. I felt like a zoombie. Coffee can only go so far. Luckily i have a new job and ive been getting around 8 hours of sleep a night and i feel like a new person. I have the energy and motivation to workout and take care of myself and eat right and i think thats been the best thing for me.
  • rpachigo
    rpachigo Posts: 96 Member
    7 at 44
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    I have severe insomnia (not as bad as I used to, thankfully), and I typically only get between 4 and 6 hours of sleep on a good night. Probably 2 nights a week I don't sleep at all.

Last night was one of those nights, so I'm currently running on no sleep since the night before last. I'm 24, 25 in a few months.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    38. a good solid 7hours.

but i work with far less than that on a daily basis LOLOL
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    38 years old, 8 hours is ideal, 9 hours on a regular basis and I don't need my alarm clock or feel like I need a nap.

I've always been like this. Having three kids in the span of 4 years... Well, my youngest is 3 and I think I've finally caught up on all the sleep deprivation - lol
  • chaney3000
    chaney3000 Posts: 261 Member
    Ha, I'm a firefighter so my sleep patterns are bad. If I have a busy shift where I'm up and down all night or just up all night, the next day I try to get at least 7 -9 hrs. But the that's just a wish. Most nights I shoot for at least 6