How much sleep do you need to feel fully rested at your current age?

Options

Replies

• LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    I'm 30 and I need 7 to 8 hours. Single with no kids so I hit my goal pretty easily every night! I actually have to make sure I don't sleep too much or else I'll feel super sluggish.
  • TuesdayMarch01st2016
    TuesdayMarch01st2016 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, on my bedridden days I need 16 to 20 hours, on my housebound days I need 12 to 14 & on my nearly normal person days I need 10. I don't sleep that many hours straight because 1 I am hypoglycemic, I'd die without food, if I don't eat every few hours & 2 because I'd get headaches, from too much sleep.
  • mfelder3
    mfelder3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I wanted to see if I could draw any kind of correlation between age and amount of sleep needed from those on here. Post the minimum number of hours of sleep you need to fully function and your current age. If your sleep needs have changed over the course of adulthood, feel free to note that as well.

I'm 21 and am trying to get a good handle on how many hours I really need if I can get into a very deep sleep (my sleep tends to be fairly light). About 1-2 years ago I think I needed about 8 hours of (deep enough) sleep, but now it seems like 7 hours can be enough if my sleep is deep. If my assessment of how much sleep I need is correct, I suspect the difference is due to my body changing as I move further away from the adolescent years. Otherwise, if my sleep is lighter/more fragmented I need close to 8 hours.

6-7 hours are good. But I also sleep with a cpap.
  • JRoo724
    JRoo724 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    32. i've had early waking issues for years now. if i can get 5 uninterrupted i can function. if i wake up at like 2 or 3 though, i don't even try to go back to bed. i just get up and stay up and work through the day exhausted.

Check sleep phase disorder
  • MissMonicaC4
    MissMonicaC4 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I love my sleep!! I wish I was one of those people who function great on like 5 hours but I need atleast 7. 9 is glorious.
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    30 and I need around 6-8. Any more and I feel horrible, any less and I feel horrible.
  • ashleystidham
    ashleystidham Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Well I'm 20 and typically will feel more energetic on 5-7 hours of sleep than I will on 8+
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    How much sleep do I need to feel fully rested at my current age? More.
  • Jpinpoint
    Jpinpoint Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    38 and I'm an insomniac. I take Ambien and I need 6 hours with a 1 hour fully awake before I can engage in life. I prefer 8 hours which I get if I'm relaxed and take my Ambien. On vacation I don't take Ambien because I like to have a couple beers at night and I won't mix alcohol with Ambien.

When I was in my early 20's I could sleep 2 hours and be good to go.
  • 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    49 & wishing I could get a solid 7 ;-)
  • shaken2010
    shaken2010 Posts: 167 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm 35, I can function pretty well on four hours of sleep. I normally I get 5-6, sometimes I would like more.
  • meredith1629
    meredith1629 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    34 and I need at least 8 on a regular basis to function normally. 9 is preferable. I regularly sleep 10-12 on weekends but usually am pretty lazy after that...I just can't pull myself out of bed if I don't have to be somewhere.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I'm 28. 5-6 is fine for functioning. 7 is well rested
  • brendahughes37679
    brendahughes37679 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    try to get at least 5-6 hours a night
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    69 years old. I need 7 hours. On weekends, I usually get 8 hours or 7 hours plus a nap.
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm 23, and I need at least 9 to feel fully rested. I can function on less, though.
  • tcarp8
    tcarp8 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I try to get 8. Usually get 7.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I sleep 3-5 hours a night. Physically it isn't tough, but mentally...it weighs on me.
  • postmordem10
    postmordem10 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    6 at 28. It doesn't matter what time I go to sleep I'm awake by 8 am. And once I wake up and it's light out I can't go back. Occasional naps are a beautiful thing though when my body and schedule allow them
  • wuwu90
    wuwu90 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    26yo. About 5hours