Shy about benching barbell...

Options
2»

Replies

• yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    ETA- I'm doing 3x10 overhead presses with a bar
    If you're doing OHP with the bar you should be able to bench it no problem.
  • BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    As already said - just go for it and bench in the rack with safety rails!
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    You guys are great. Thanks for all the awesome advise.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I wanted to post this exact same thing! I am scared to death to try a barbell alone. I use the smith machine for bench presses and actually got a little "stuck" in it because I couldn't push it back up (I was just a bit too much weight for me to do more than 4 reps). I racked it but it was sitting on my chest. I could have wiggled out but my daughter happened to be with me that time so I asked her to remove some weight so I could get out. Kind of embarrassing.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    LOL- funny story- two guys took over the power cage one day after I was done with it- and guess what... they were benching.
    And the one guy kept squeezing between the headspace and mirror to spot the guy- and they took out the safety rails.

um.

wut? like. I get getting a quick help at the end of your set and want to finish the reps out and might be struggling- but the point of benching in there with the rails is to not need a spot. <thisismetryingnottojudgeyou>

I use the rack with the rails and sometimes even a spotter. I prefer a spotter because I can get a lift-off and sometimes help when I can't quite get that last rep. At the same time I don't trust most people in the gym to spot correctly so the rails come in handy just in case. Now rack, no rails and a spotter just sounds clueless.