Replies

• blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Char231023 wrote: »
    AlisonH729 wrote: »
    Char231023 wrote: »
    AlisonH729 wrote: »
    Davids Bridal is having their biggest sale of the season. You might be able to score a backup dress for cheap. Knowing you have it will ease some of the stress, but may also in turn motivate you lose so you can wear the dress you love more.

Watch out for Davids Bridal. When I went for my first dress they put me in the sample 8 and it fit perfectly when I went to order it I saw that they were going to order me a size because as they put it most brides gain weight before the wedding due to stress. I assured them that would not be the case to order me the 8. Well I ended up getting a second dress because I couldn't fit the first one. Not because I gained weight but I had lost a whole dress size and it was cheaper to buy another one at size 6 than alter the first.

BTW that's is how Davids Bridal makes their money on the extras and the altering

For sure. I had an all out fight in alterations when they pinned up the front of my dress and then explained that they couldn't touch the train because it would 'change the design of the gown' which they weren't supposed to do. Okay, they work with designers, so I get that, but somehow it also meant that they couldn't hem it proportionally all the way around either? It looked absolutely ridiculous that long in the back. After some hard words with a manager about how the consultant should have ordered me a petite ("I don't think this design comes in petite." "YES, IT DOES!") I told them to pack it up and I would pay for what they had done but I was taking it elsewhere to be completed. Ultimately they agreed to hem it proportionally, but then for my second fitting I got a really cool girl who said screw the rules, and agreed that it would look better hemmed at one length all around.

BUT ANYWAY! I think these super sale dresses come off the rack so you would be limited to what size they have, but yes, take it someplace else for alterations. (If they let you?) And get your accessories somewhere else too. I wore a $12 veil from Amazon.

Got mine off the rack probably 3-4 months before the wedding in the size I already needed. Only alterations were fixing shoulder straps etc. Didn't have a problem with David's Bridal.

Surprised at how many order dresses. Looking back even though I got one on sale I still sort of cringe at the expense of it, though it was cheap by wedding dress standards. Interesting what we prioritize at different times.

Unless its a sale of some sorts. David's Bridal usually won't let you buy off the rack.

Yes it was a sale. I already spent too much on a dress I was only going to wear once, didn't need to compound that. :)

• ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    chinny88 wrote: »
    You have 6 months yet you will do it. Get a size 14 dress and keep it on your wardrobe door and try it weekly. I have been doing that an I try it on a Friday an it really stops me bingeing over the weekend. It's only one size Hun if you determine you will do it. Try an just drink loads of water during day and tell people u can trust in work to help you not cheat. I have my wedding in 8 weeks and trying get down a size too. Good luck xx

Iv told my whole work not to let me eat crap in a group msg
    :D

Your coworkers are not responsible for what you do or do not eat. What you eat or don't eat is under your control.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You have 6 months yet you will do it. Get a size 14 dress and keep it on your wardrobe door and try it weekly. I have been doing that an I try it on a Friday an it really stops me bingeing over the weekend. It's only one size Hun if you determine you will do it. Try an just drink loads of water during day and tell people u can trust in work to help you not cheat. I have my wedding in 8 weeks and trying get down a size too. Good luck xx

Your coworkers are not responsible for what you do or do not eat. What you eat or don't eat is under your control.

No need to be so pendantic.

Are some of you really wound so tight that you couldn't read between the lines and see that she probably asked her co-workers for support, not to fill out her MFP food diary?
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »

Are some of you really wound so tight that you couldn't read between the lines and see that she probably asked her co-workers for support, not to fill out her MFP food diary?

I respectfully disagree with this comment.
    Some of us who have been here awhile see the same pattern over and over. Mainly, people who expect their coworkers not to bring in treats and to "not let" them eat junk. Why should coworkers hold any responsibility whatsoever for a grown adult's decisions?
    Keep in mind this OP posted a similar thread in August. Obviously no progress has been made. Sluffing off personal responsibility is not helpful.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Her exact phrase was,"I've told my whole work to not eat crap." This is not taking responsibility for her own weight loss. If she eats over her calories, it's on her.

It's like people who say they can't lose weight because their SOs keep cookies in the house, so they end up eating them and blaming their SO. It's called responsibility, and once people realize they are both responsible for and in control of what they eat, they tend to do better and feel better.
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Seamstresses can work wonders with dresses - i tried on an 8 and I'm normally an 8 and it fit great so i bought it... well tale of needing to size up two sizes, it turns out the one i tried on fit great because it had been stretched out by so many other women trying it on, so even though i lost 7 more lbs (was 132 at 5'6") leading up to my wedding, my seamstress still had to let out a lot of room in the hips in my 8 so i could sit down. I was told (although I'm not an expert) that most wedding dresses have a lot of room to let out because these types of things happen often. Also, usually, depending on the designer, you can order a bit more of the fabric; I did this because I wanted to add cap sleeves, but it would have worked for letting out purposes as well, had it been needed.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options

Her exact phrase was,"I've told my whole work to not eat crap." This is not taking responsibility for her own weight loss. If she eats over her calories, it's on her.

It's like people who say they can't lose weight because their SOs keep cookies in the house, so they end up eating them and blaming their SO. It's called responsibility, and once people realize they are both responsible for and in control of what they eat, they tend to do better and feel better.

I understand exactly what you were saying.

I stand by my original comment.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

Her exact phrase was,"I've told my whole work not to let me eat crap." This is not taking responsibility for her own weight loss. If she eats over her calories, it's on her.

Amen.