Wedding dress doesn't fit :(

Options

Replies

• sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    6 months is plenty of time to lose a dress size, possibly even two. If you stay dedicated, you can easily lose 30 pounds in 6 months. 5lbs a month, 1.5lbs a week, very doable.
  • debradugas9
    debradugas9 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    6 months is plenty of time!!! Stay focused on your goal!! Log and workout everyday!! GOOD LUCK!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    chinny88 wrote: »
    I work at KFC NIGHTMARE

I remember you from your thread in August http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10236609/struggling

Did you implement any of the suggestions you received there or in your subsequent threads?

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Your wedding is in six months.
    go buy a different dress that fits you, focus on the fact that you are getting married to the person you love and not details like dress perfections and ideal weight.
    Your wedding is supposed to be about your lifelong commitment to the person you love, and the day you are sharing together. If you are hung up on things like your body and your dress, you won't be thinking about each other and your love and your special day together.
    Stick to your weight loss journey, because that's a lifelong commitment too - again, not about a single day and one dress. The stress of worrying about this dress is going to cause you problems with that too.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    6 months is plenty of time! Congratulations.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I work at KFC NIGHTMARE

I remember you from your thread in August http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10236609/struggling

Did you implement any of the suggestions you received there or in your subsequent threads?

Well then....this is about to get interesting. :wink:
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I work at KFC NIGHTMARE

The more I read her replies the more I get the impression she just wants attention. Her responses almost always have some sort of logical flaw or excuse that might just be bait for more input. She has all the useful advice one could need, so I say we pack up and wish her well at this point.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    AlisonH729 wrote: »
    Char231023 wrote: »
    Davids Bridal is having their biggest sale of the season. You might be able to score a backup dress for cheap. Knowing you have it will ease some of the stress, but may also in turn motivate you lose so you can wear the dress you love more.

Watch out for Davids Bridal. When I went for my first dress they put me in the sample 8 and it fit perfectly when I went to order it I saw that they were going to order me a size because as they put it most brides gain weight before the wedding due to stress. I assured them that would not be the case to order me the 8. Well I ended up getting a second dress because I couldn't fit the first one. Not because I gained weight but I had lost a whole dress size and it was cheaper to buy another one at size 6 than alter the first.

BTW that's is how Davids Bridal makes their money on the extras and the altering

For sure. I had an all out fight in alterations when they pinned up the front of my dress and then explained that they couldn't touch the train because it would 'change the design of the gown' which they weren't supposed to do. Okay, they work with designers, so I get that, but somehow it also meant that they couldn't hem it proportionally all the way around either? It looked absolutely ridiculous that long in the back. After some hard words with a manager about how the consultant should have ordered me a petite ("I don't think this design comes in petite." "YES, IT DOES!") I told them to pack it up and I would pay for what they had done but I was taking it elsewhere to be completed. Ultimately they agreed to hem it proportionally, but then for my second fitting I got a really cool girl who said screw the rules, and agreed that it would look better hemmed at one length all around.

BUT ANYWAY! I think these super sale dresses come off the rack so you would be limited to what size they have, but yes, take it someplace else for alterations. (If they let you?) And get your accessories somewhere else too. I wore a $12 veil from Amazon.

Got mine off the rack probably 3-4 months before the wedding in the size I already needed. Only alterations were fixing shoulder straps etc. Didn't have a problem with David's Bridal.

Surprised at how many order dresses. Looking back even though I got one on sale I still sort of cringe at the expense of it, though it was cheap by wedding dress standards. Interesting what we prioritize at different times.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Char231023 wrote: »
    Davids Bridal is having their biggest sale of the season. You might be able to score a backup dress for cheap. Knowing you have it will ease some of the stress, but may also in turn motivate you lose so you can wear the dress you love more.

Watch out for Davids Bridal. When I went for my first dress they put me in the sample 8 and it fit perfectly when I went to order it I saw that they were going to order me a size because as they put it most brides gain weight before the wedding due to stress. I assured them that would not be the case to order me the 8. Well I ended up getting a second dress because I couldn't fit the first one. Not because I gained weight but I had lost a whole dress size and it was cheaper to buy another one at size 6 than alter the first.

BTW that's is how Davids Bridal makes their money on the extras and the altering

For sure. I had an all out fight in alterations when they pinned up the front of my dress and then explained that they couldn't touch the train because it would 'change the design of the gown' which they weren't supposed to do. Okay, they work with designers, so I get that, but somehow it also meant that they couldn't hem it proportionally all the way around either? It looked absolutely ridiculous that long in the back. After some hard words with a manager about how the consultant should have ordered me a petite ("I don't think this design comes in petite." "YES, IT DOES!") I told them to pack it up and I would pay for what they had done but I was taking it elsewhere to be completed. Ultimately they agreed to hem it proportionally, but then for my second fitting I got a really cool girl who said screw the rules, and agreed that it would look better hemmed at one length all around.

BUT ANYWAY! I think these super sale dresses come off the rack so you would be limited to what size they have, but yes, take it someplace else for alterations. (If they let you?) And get your accessories somewhere else too. I wore a $12 veil from Amazon.

Got mine off the rack probably 3-4 months before the wedding in the size I already needed. Only alterations were fixing shoulder straps etc. Didn't have a problem with David's Bridal.

Surprised at how many order dresses. Looking back even though I got one on sale I still sort of cringe at the expense of it, though it was cheap by wedding dress standards. Interesting what we prioritize at different times.

Unless its a sale of some sorts. David's Bridal usually won't let you buy off the rack.
  • irshgrl500
    irshgrl500 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You'll do it! Each size is about 12 -15 pounds, so you could easily lose that or more in 6 months. I know you can!
  • kellypendrill931
    kellypendrill931 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You have 6 months yet you will do it. Get a size 14 dress and keep it on your wardrobe door and try it weekly. I have been doing that an I try it on a Friday an it really stops me bingeing over the weekend. It's only one size Hun if you determine you will do it. Try an just drink loads of water during day and tell people u can trust in work to help you not cheat. I have my wedding in 8 weeks and trying get down a size too. Good luck xx
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    I work at KFC NIGHTMARE

The more I read her replies the more I get the impression she just wants attention. Her responses almost always have some sort of logical flaw or excuse that might just be bait for more input. She has all the useful advice one could need, so I say we pack up and wish her well at this point.

OP, your prior thread was from August, 7 months ago. Imagine where you would be today if you'd heeded previous advice. Are you in a good mental place to be able to put in the work now?
  • irshgrl500
    irshgrl500 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    I'm curious, why are so many ladies buying dresses that don't fit? I'm not judging, I just don't understand the motivation.

I see that on here a lot and have been wondering the same thing but didn't have the courage to ask. Personally, if my weight were such an important part of the wedding day, I would lose the weight first and then set a date, so I could find the "dream" dress and actually know how it's going to look on the big day. It also sounds like wedding dresses manufacturers don't participate in vanity sizing like so many other retailers, how would you even begin to be able to guess what size you would need once you lose the weight? Also, it may look totally different once you've lost the weight, what if you lose a lot of weight in your chest and no longer fill it out enough for it to be flattering (just one of many possible sensations). I don't know, it seems like buying a dress before losing weight is way to risky - I wouldn't want to leave so much to chance.

I love your straight forward, approach and agree with it. I think too, if the way I felt about my appearance was based largely (no pun intended) on my weight, I too would focus on losing the weight, then the dress. Good advice.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Maaike84 wrote: »
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    I'm curious, why are so many ladies buying dresses that don't fit? I'm not judging, I just don't understand the motivation.

My wife is a seamstress and owned a wedding dress shop for a while. I can tell you that she told every bride in her shop "Do not order a smaller size!" and would occasionally refuse to put in a lower size order, or order the "correct/current" size and when the dress arrived perform the first fitting without telling the bride the size.

Her opinion was that brides are significantly more likely gain weight between ordering and delivery rather than lose - her experience bore that out.

OP - Ribbon backed dress - contact a decent seamstress and get the dress supplier/shop to order about 0.5m of extra fabric (check measurement with seamstress first). Seamstress will be able to either, add a larger the modesty panel (the bit of fabric under the ribbons) or add some width by taking out the seam allowance on some of the panels in the bodice. Note that the second option is time consuming and will cost a bit (prob over £100) since we are talking about a heavily structured garment.

Brought to you by @StealthHealth - for all your squats, dead lifts, and weeding dress dilemmas.

I listened to this, was in between sizes so ordered up a size, and then managed to lose so much weight that it now needs to be taken in a LOT. Also not ideal, but I have a very capable tailor so am trying not to stress. Wedding in 6 weeks... OP - 6 months is a long time, and 4 months as well. You can certainly lose weight in that period of time. But please be realistic, and know that weight might not come off of the places you need it to come off first. There's enough stress and planning going into organising your big day, do you really need this extra worry on your plate?

The designer that I bought my gown from only makes a certain number in each size. When I bought I had the option of one that was my current size or one much smaller. I bought the larger one and now less than 6 months down the track, it's too big. I'm still leaning out, so I'm crossing my fingers that alterations will fix everything!

OP, 6 months is plenty of time to lose some weight. Although it does depend how much you need to lose to fit into it comfortably. Maybe consider a back up dress? Be realistic. You'll need to be consistent with your weight loss. Don't attempt a crash diet in the last 2 months. That's a pathway to insanity.
  • chinny88
    chinny88 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You have 6 months yet you will do it. Get a size 14 dress and keep it on your wardrobe door and try it weekly. I have been doing that an I try it on a Friday an it really stops me bingeing over the weekend. It's only one size Hun if you determine you will do it. Try an just drink loads of water during day and tell people u can trust in work to help you not cheat. I have my wedding in 8 weeks and trying get down a size too. Good luck xx

Iv told my whole work not to let me eat crap in a group msg
    :D
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options

I had success with weight loss once I took responsibility for what I ate.
  • chinny88
    chinny88 Posts: 93 Member
    Options

I had success with weight loss once I took responsibility for what I ate.

I now take full responsibility :) lost 20lbs in 3 months need to speed that up tho
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

the fact that you're still looking at it as 'eating crap' is a red flag. You should be looking at it as just not eating too many calories, so that you meet your calorie goals each day. The fact that you're still hung up on this is a problem.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

No one should eat crap. Ever. This sounds like a symptom of a very serious issue. Please seek help if you ever feel compelled to eat feces.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

No one should eat crap. Ever. This sounds like a symptom of a very serious issue. Please seek help if you ever feel compelled to eat feces.

5-Happy-Gilmore-quotes.jpg