Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is the amount of easy access processed food harming dieters health?

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    selina884 wrote: »
    wrong platform.

Everything food is good for you.

JUST KEEP SHOUTING CICO.

As compared to appeal to ridicule without providing any of substance?
    The people shouting CICO might be doing so to be heard over the undeniably cacophious and misinformed voices of the diet and fitness industry that wants to sell 10,000 methods that are unnecessary, untrue, or just don't work because there is little money to be made in teaching a person how to eat sustainably, removing them as a repeat customer.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I cannot believe we have made it this far into a discussion of tinned meats (and tangentially their availability in the UK), and there has not been a mention of Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam and Spam.

I am trying to remember the meats I usually bought at Marks & Spencer while a student there on a very tight budget, but I believe I wholly subsisted on fancy jam and baguettes.

A canned meat I remember from college is Deviled Ham. Bought it once when it was on sale for super-cheap. Never again.
  • senecarr
    yarwell wrote: »
    Not sure canned meat is a good example, the welfare issues around tuna don't depend if it's in a can or not.

My problem with tinned meats would be the origin and quality of the meat, if you get a piece of chicken it's clearly off one bird whereas there could be all manner of ground up "interesting bits" from multiple birds in a canned product.

Salt isn't that big a deal for healthy people with working kidneys and normal blood pressure. You would have to consider their whole diet not individual foods.

I did manage to find one example of canned chicken on the Tesco website, which is probably representative of my view of the concept : :smile:

IDShot_225x225.jpg

Funny thing, about your view of the concept - if an emergency ever happens, cat food is actually fairly safe to eat. Most dog food? Bad idea. Cats, however, are a little more vulnerable to health issues, and the food produced for them (US standards at least) has to be fairly close to human standards. Just a little zombie apocalypse survival tip if you find all your fellow survivors have raided the grocery stores but the pet food stores are unguarded, and you need to pick out which can to grab before the zombie grabs you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I think it just makes it really easy to have a pretty crappy overall diet. In and of themselves, I don't think it matters much...but people have really crappy diets in general and don't get proper nutrition...which is harmful.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I cannot believe we have made it this far into a discussion of tinned meats (and tangentially their availability in the UK), and there has not been a mention of Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam and Spam.

I am trying to remember the meats I usually bought at Marks & Spencer while a student there on a very tight budget, but I believe I wholly subsisted on fancy jam and baguettes.

I love spam! Not had it for yonks! It's going on the shopping list for next week regardless of what it's going to do to my internal organs!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    If you're concerned about what goes into processed foods, just read the labels. And by the way, most of what you eat is processed to some degree unless you grow it yourself (and in any case, being "processed" doesn't inject some mystical evil essence into a food).

I have two cans of imported Italian tuna in olive oil sitting on my counter ready to go with a package of frozen peas into a jar of marinara sauce which I'll have with whole wheat pasta. All of it, in other words, processed. I have absolutely no fears about what it might be doing to my internal organs -- other than tasting good and providing me with some good nutritional value.

And regarding one of the questions asked -- low fat does not make something good for you. That's why in spite of a couple of decades of high availability of low fat "diet" foods here in the USA people here are fatter than ever.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    vingogly wrote: »
    If you're concerned about what goes into processed foods, just read the labels. And by the way, most of what you eat is processed to some degree unless you grow it yourself (and in any case, being "processed" doesn't inject some mystical evil essence into a food).

I have two cans of imported Italian tuna in olive oil sitting on my counter ready to go with a package of frozen peas into a jar of marinara sauce which I'll have with whole wheat pasta. All of it, in other words, processed. I have absolutely no fears about what it might be doing to my internal organs -- other than tasting good and providing me with some good nutritional value.

And regarding one of the questions asked -- low fat does not make something good for you. That's why in spite of a couple of decades of high availability of low fat "diet" foods here in the USA people here are fatter than ever.

People didn't actually reduce their consumption of fat, though. They just added in some additional carbs.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member

I love spam! Not had it for yonks! It's going on the shopping list for next week regardless of what it's going to do to my internal organs!

What's a yonk?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    a singular member of the Yankees. Yonk.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    I don't usually buy canned chicken (or tuna for that matter), but I assume this is along the lines of what you're referring to OP?

bumble-bee-premium-chicken-breast-in-water.jpg?39240a

It's chicken breast meat packed in water - I'm not sure why that is supposed to be harmful to our organs?

INGREDIENTS:

CHICKEN BREAST MEAT WITH RIB MEAT, WATER, SEASONING (SALT, CHICKEN BROTH AND NATURAL FLAVORS), MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, SODIUM PHOSPHATES.

I don't think a lot of people would eat this plain, but probably in a recipe like chicken salad, or something where you mix it with other ingredients (chicken pot pie or a dip?) it would be fine.

I buy the Tyson Grilled and Ready chicken strips on occasion when they are on sale to keep in my freezer to throw on top of a salad or in with pasta when I need some extra protein and want a quick meal. I don't see it as being any different than your canned chicken example so I'm happy to discuss why you think there would be something harmful due to the processing of that chicken that would be different than me grilling the chicken myself, cutting it into slices, and freezing it for use later (which I also do but the ready made bags come in handy when I haven't had time to meal prep).

99033357_14523_0910.ashx?h=136&la=en&mw=120&w=120

Sorry not sure why the images are so differently sized!
  • senecarr

What's a yonk?

It is a way of measuring preparedness for scary, running away on air inducing panic, which itself is measured in zonks. The yonks come before zonks.
  • Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    vingogly wrote: »

I think that is partly because a lot of those foods end up with added sugar. Like non-fat and low fat yogurts. Many have a ton of extra sugar.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    senecarr wrote: »

What's a yonk?

It is a way of measuring preparedness for scary, running away on air inducing panic, which itself is measured in zonks. The yonks come before zonks.

And before those darn meddling kids ruin my plans.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

What's a yonk?

That's ZOINKS! Totally different than Zonks.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited March 2016
    opcficmydims.jpg
    I found this in my kitchen. I don't like the taste but it's not yucky ingredient wise
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »

What's a yonk?

That's ZOINKS! Totally different than Zonks.

Spoil sport.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    IMO, people get hung up on the term "processed" and thereby equate convenience foods to being bad because they're not "clean" or whatever the latest buzzword is. It's really quite simple - if it fits in your calorie allotment, go for it. Unless of course you have a health issue with sodium, nitrates, etc which are often contained in convenience/ processed foods.
  • Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    edited March 2016
    opcficmydims.jpg
    I found this in my kitchen. I don't like the taste but it's not yucky ingredient wise

FLAKES of chicken? LOL I have never seen one put that way before, that sounds so funny to me. =)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    opcficmydims.jpg

FLAKES of chicken? LOL I have never seen one put that way before, that sounds so funny to me. =)

It's just like tuna but you know Canadians are odd :open_mouth: