Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is the amount of easy access processed food harming dieters health?

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    CICO advocate. Plenty of pics.

#comeatmebro

It's not the lack of pictures I've noticed, it's the lack of open diaries.. Not everyone of course, but a large proportion.

Interesting. I never snoop in anyone's diary unless they ask me to. Different strokes for different folks.

My diary is for me. I feel no need to share it with anyone else, unless I am asking for help.

I'm not particularly interested in other peoples diaries either. But when I read posts saying "I eat chocolate, chips and drink booze every day, I make it fit", then I get curious to see how they manage it within their calories in the hopes of getting some pointers, and 9 times out of 10 their diaries are closed :huh:

I only snoop when someone asserts that they don't eat processed foods, since I am always curious what they really mean by that, or if someone asks for help as to why they aren't losing, and have the same experience. Do you think maybe that's because the default is a closed diary?

I don't know why it's the default. It seems more people prefer it closed than open, each have their own individual reasons.
    But I've noticed some of the most vocal and confident cico eat anything you want supporters have closed diaries.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

#comeatmebro

It's not the lack of pictures I've noticed, it's the lack of open diaries.. Not everyone of course, but a large proportion.

Interesting. I never snoop in anyone's diary unless they ask me to. Different strokes for different folks.

My diary is for me. I feel no need to share it with anyone else, unless I am asking for help.

I'm not particularly interested in other peoples diaries either. But when I read posts saying "I eat chocolate, chips and drink booze every day, I make it fit", then I get curious to see how they manage it within their calories in the hopes of getting some pointers, and 9 times out of 10 their diaries are closed :huh:

I only snoop when someone asserts that they don't eat processed foods, since I am always curious what they really mean by that, or if someone asks for help as to why they aren't losing, and have the same experience. Do you think maybe that's because the default is a closed diary?

I don't know why it's the default. It seems more people prefer it closed than open, each have their own individual reasons.

Oh, I worded that badly. I meant that most people have their diaries closed to the public because that is the default. Lots of people never even thought about opening it. I only opened mine after it was pointed out to me (although I close it when I'm not logging and have logged poorly for ages -- trying to get back to it).
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

#comeatmebro

Oh, I worded that badly. I meant that most people have their diaries closed to the public because that is the default. Lots of people never even thought about opening it. I only opened mine after it was pointed out to me (although I close it when I'm not logging and have logged poorly for ages -- trying to get back to it).

Yes, I agree. I didn't know it was the default either until someone pointed it out. Just One of the reasons I keep mine open is so people don't have to friend me to see my diary.

I have closed mine before when I was eating badly and just had the diet fatigues, and to be honest, I was embarrassed for anyone to see.

• clhoward6
    clhoward6 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Sorry I disappeared from this discussion. I managed to highly process my phone in a toilet.

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

#comeatmebro

Mine is open.

I drink a glass of wine maybe 3-4x a week (but not all weeks - only when I'm in Germany)?
    I eat pain au chocolat (quite a few - only on my France weeks).
    I eat chocolate.

And my logging varies from good to crappy. And it works for me.

Feel free to cruise or critique.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    xch8zjhdi0vv.jpg
    It's from the Southern Hemisphere so I don't know if that makes it better?

Yes, yes it does. An excellent choice.

Have you tried the 2014 Mud House SB? I'm not a big white wine fan but it is lovely.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

#comeatmebro

if you are not particularly interested then why are you making such a big deal out of it?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

#comeatmebro

But I've noticed some of the most vocal and confident cico eat anything you want supporters have closed diaries.

Mine's open and you'll find plenty of processed foods, chocolate and wine. I take a multi vitamin every day as well.

My last physical had perfect blood work. I've never had high blood pressure although my mom and sister both do. I lost >30 lbs and am maintaining that loss. My TDEE as a petite female over 40 is 2200 so my metabolism seems to be ok as well.

But I guess I should inform my body that we are doomed to be unhealthy because of processed foods.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    If you are losing weight, it's because you have a deficit. So what dieter is not CICO?
    But a scale number is not the only thing I'm looking for, therefore types of foods and macros are important to me.
    I aim to eat the majority of my food as my idea of natural, not processed.
    What does NOT work for me is "eat whatever you want as long as it fits in your macros." Not all foods agree with my system. The metabolism responds to the type of diet you choose, and I think that's a good thing.

There's plenty of natural foods that don't agree with some People's metabolisms either. Peanuts, even a lchf food on top of being natural, can straight up kill people whose bodies "don't agree with them".
    Also you're going on about how foods are different and all but cut out everything not natural by your Definition even though those processed foods are just as different in their nutrition and ingredients too, just because... Why exactly? Do you think they're inherently Bad for you while natural things are inherently good?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. I don't know how to describe it other than weekdays of eating a bunch of TVP and a bag of frozen vegetables mixed with office snacks.
    I don't fit alcohol, mainly because I just do not see whatever it is most people see in it. I'm at a low enough level that - according to epidemological data- I might see some benefit if I started having a single serving every once and a while to daily. Since I don't care for it, I'll just rationalize to myself the data reflects people drinking are probably socializing, rather than a benefit of the alcohol or wine itself.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    When people say something is working for them, I like to see pics.
    I also wonder if they have measures of health like lab tests, for example, that have improved, and if they feel more comfortable and happy.
    So many of those who continually pluck the CICO note don't have pics of themselves, and/or current pics, either.
    I also wonder, what do they mean "working"?? That's a general term.
    Do they mean the scale number went down? That's the guaranteed end result of CICO.

But HOW and WHAT you eat is going to produce different results for different people. If a certain picture comes into your mind of what "works" or what "results" you are after, then CICO is ONLY THE STARTING POINT.

The term "processed" and "clean" are also general terms. Whey protein is processed, but I eat it regularly. However, many or most processed foods I am not comfortable including in my diet, including many of the vegetable oils, refined grains, and packaged processed foods. I think they can be harmful to the metabolism.

Have you seen this guy's thread? He intentionally ate a diet heavy in junk food to see what would happen.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348650/cico-still-skeptical-come-inside-for-a-meticulous-log-that-proves-it/p1
  • senecarr
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    When people say something is working for them, I like to see pics.
    I also wonder if they have measures of health like lab tests, for example, that have improved, and if they feel more comfortable and happy.
    So many of those who continually pluck the CICO note don't have pics of themselves, and/or current pics, either.
    I also wonder, what do they mean "working"?? That's a general term.
    Do they mean the scale number went down? That's the guaranteed end result of CICO.

But HOW and WHAT you eat is going to produce different results for different people. If a certain picture comes into your mind of what "works" or what "results" you are after, then CICO is ONLY THE STARTING POINT.

The term "processed" and "clean" are also general terms. Whey protein is processed, but I eat it regularly. However, many or most processed foods I am not comfortable including in my diet, including many of the vegetable oils, refined grains, and packaged processed foods. I think they can be harmful to the metabolism.

Have you seen this guy's thread? He intentionally ate a diet heavy in junk food to see what would happen.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348650/cico-still-skeptical-come-inside-for-a-meticulous-log-that-proves-it/p1

To be fair, she isn't denying that people lose weight that way. She would probably have a harder timer arguing about his profile picture.
    I said in another thread that this these statements look like moving the goalpost. Once someone is forced to acknowledge that you can lose weight from any diet, so long as the calories are low, they want to make it about some intangible, immeasurable thing called health because no one can prove someone is healthy, and people want to preserve their beliefs that something as lofty as being healthy requires sacrifice and denial.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

#comeatmebro

Mine's open and you'll find plenty of processed foods, chocolate and wine. I take a multi vitamin every day as well.

My last physical had perfect blood work. I've never had high blood pressure although my mom and sister both do. I lost >30 lbs and am maintaining that loss. My TDEE as a petite female over 40 is 2200 so my metabolism seems to be ok as well.

But I guess I should inform my body that we are doomed to be unhealthy because of processed foods.

But do you think there's any chance that within 15-20 years things may change if you continue to eat over 3,000 mg of sodium a day on a regular basis?

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

#comeatmebro

But do you think there's any chance that within 15-20 years things may change if you continue to eat over 3,000 mg of sodium a day on a regular basis?

There is increasing doubt that the currently promoted restrictions on sodium are valid for otherwise healthy people: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/04/06/more-scientists-doubt-salt-is-as-bad-for-you-as-the-government-says/

Is there a *chance* things may change for her health in 15-20 years if she continues to consume the same amount of salt as the average American? Sure. There's also a chance her health will change if she continue to operate a car regularly or engages in a bunch of other activities.

Asking if there is a chance something could happen doesn't seem like a very useful question. I think you have to look at how likely that chance is because risk is a part of life that we just can't escape. Given the current state of nutritional science, we're all -- to some extent -- taking a chance that what we currently understand to be true may not be true and we are engaging in consumption behaviors that may result in putting our health at risk.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The sodium recommendation is hotly debated and not well supported, especially for people without any high blood pressure or indications of risk: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/04/06/more-scientists-doubt-salt-is-as-bad-for-you-as-the-government-says/

It also depends on lots of other lifestyle factors, like whether you do cardio (I do endurance sports, and lots of people end up supplementing sodium on long runs and rides) and whether you get lots of potassium in your diet.

And some people are just lucky.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

#comeatmebro

CICO/Flex eating/moderation/whatever you want to call it

Lots 'o pics - even before & after pics

I do have a closed diary. I'd be happy to open it, but I'm afraid you'd be incredibly bored, as I haven't logged anything for a couple years now. Cause, yanno, I learned how to eat a modest, sensible, well-balanced diet along the way.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

#comeatmebro

But every minor decision you make in life is a risk/reward proposition. Every time you step off the curb onto the street, every time you decide to drive today instead of take the train, every time you walk up to someone in a bar and say hello. If you are going to parse these decisions down to, "Will this maybe cause some kind of harm 15 years from now" you might as well start furnishing the panic room you're going to end up living in.

And again, I think you're generalizing. Not all processed food is high in sodium, or sugar, or anything else. I would say my diet is probably 50% (maybe a little more) what we are generalizing as processed: frozen dinners, waffles, packaged soup, protein bars, deli meat, pretzels and chips, pasta, ice cream, cereal, flavored yogurt, fast food. The rest is fresh meat, eggs, produce, whole grains, dairy etc. And yet the only time I go over my sodium number is when we get take out Chinese. And the only time I ever go over the MFP default for sugar is when I drink a regular soda, which is infrequent. I haven't gotten a cold in three years. I have freakishly low blood pressure, and normal blood glucose levels. I have never been officially overweight, but managed to lose 15 vanity lbs last year. And I'm 43, so it's not like youth is covering over my many sins.

I just think this thread is WAY over-generalizing the type of diet that puts you at some kind of health risk. Just the act of "processing" food does not make it high in sodium, high in sugar, or poisonous to your insides.
  • senecarr
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

#comeatmebro

But every minor decision you make in life is a risk/reward proposition. Every time you step off the curb onto the street, every time you decide to drive today instead of take the train, every time you walk up to someone in a bar and say hello. If you are going to parse these decisions down to, "Will this maybe cause some kind of harm 15 years from now" you might as well start furnishing the panic room you're going to end up living in.

And again, I think you're generalizing. Not all processed food is high in sodium, or sugar, or anything else. I would say my diet is probably 50% (maybe a little more) what we are generalizing as processed: frozen dinners, waffles, packaged soup, protein bars, deli meat, pretzels and chips, pasta, ice cream, cereal, flavored yogurt, fast food. The rest is fresh meat, eggs, produce, whole grains, dairy etc. And yet the only time I go over my sodium number is when we get take out Chinese. And the only time I ever go over the MFP default for sugar is when I drink a regular soda, which is infrequent. I haven't gotten a cold in three years. I have freakishly low blood pressure, and normal blood glucose levels. I have never been officially overweight, but managed to lose 15 vanity lbs last year. And I'm 43, so it's not like youth is covering over my many sins.

I just think this thread is WAY over-generalizing the type of diet that puts you at some kind of health risk. Just the act of "processing" food does not make it high in sodium, high in sugar, or poisonous to your insides.

But do you think there's any chance that within 15-20 years things may change if you continue to step off the curb onto the street on a regular basis? >:)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    clhoward6 wrote: »
    I know the main aim of dieting for most of us is to lose weight but what could processed food be doing to our organs? I'm honestly interested in whether being thin but eating these sorts of foods has a detrimental effect on health?

I don't think there is a simple answer to that question. It depends on the over balance of foods, genetics, medical history/problems, etc.

I think that in general, being very overweight/obese while eating whole/minimally processed foods is more likely to cause health problems than being thin and eating a lot of processed foods.