Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is the amount of easy access processed food harming dieters health?

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    cloudi2 wrote: »
    Having raised my own chickens and milking my goat, I can say I've seen things just as unpleasing, but in a different way.

Calorie for calorie, a 100 grams of canned chicken is the same as a 100 grams of freshly butchered chicken though.
    Scientific fact there you have it!

That's doubtful. Canned chicken will likely have preservatives added, most likely sodium.

new to me, do preservatives and salt add caloric value? I like my foods fresh mostly.

Do preservatives and salt add caloric value? new to this.

I'm sure it's minimal.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My child is diabetic and the doctor told us always to avoid processed foods of all types meaning pre-made dinners, cream of wheat, pre-made potatoes, pancake batter,ice cream, pasta is a big one, .. so eat whole foods. Okay foods are chicken, fish, some red meat, yogurt, beans, cheese, whole wheat bread(s) ,brown rice, fresh veggies and fruit etc from my understanding. Processed foods make your blood sugar go thru the roof. I love cream of wheat but it's not as good for you as you think. Yes junk food all highly processed is not good for you so McDonalds burgers are not as good for you as a veggie burger you make yourself. I'm focusing right now on this whole subject so I make my own "power shakes" I do not buy them at Panera bread. I know there are mix fresh berries with ice and non -fat yogurt and chi seeds because I made it myself. So canned tuna is just a fish in a can so probably okay but fresh tuna you cook yourself is still better. I guess if you didn't make it your self , from my understanding you can trust the ingredients 100% to be "natural', "organic" etc . But something that has been "milled" is a no-no.

I don't understand a definition of "processed" that excludes things like cheese and yogurt. Why would bread be okay but pancake batter be unacceptable?
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    That depends on the easy access, processed foods that people choose. Having frozen vegetables on hand has transformed my diet. It would be even better for my figure if I had to forage for them myself, but I don't have that kind of time.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Having raised my own chickens and milking my goat, I can say I've seen things just as unpleasing, but in a different way.

Calorie for calorie, a 100 grams of canned chicken is the same as a 100 grams of freshly butchered chicken though.

That's doubtful. Canned chicken will likely have preservatives added, most likely sodium.

Then why isn't it the same calorie for calorie? like I said earlier? What is doubtful ?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Then why isn't it the same calorie for calorie?

It would be the same calories assuming the sodium doesn't change the water content. The nutrition for the canned chicken would, however, be higher in sodium. For weight loss and body composition, it wouldn't matter, but for some conditions like hypertension, the sodium would matter.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Ok. Clearly just the same calorie value fresh or canned, probably frozen as well.
  • karmelpopcorn
    karmelpopcorn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think more dangerous than canned chicken are meats cured with sulfites-deli meats, hot dogs, etc. And meat in order to not be carcinogenic has to be eaten in SMALL quantities. Processed foods DO harm people. Nearly 90% of all Americans get high blood pressure in their lifetimes.

I agree that food needs to be fresh and sustainable in order to make the journey to health but yes some are just focused on weight loss and how they look in their jeggings.
  • senecarr
    Options
    I think more dangerous than canned chicken are meats cured with sulfites-deli meats, hot dogs, etc. And meat in order to not be carcinogenic has to be eaten in SMALL quantities. Processed foods DO harm people. Nearly 90% of all Americans get high blood pressure in their lifetimes.

I agree that food needs to be fresh and sustainable in order to make the journey to health but yes some are just focused on weight loss and how they look in their jeggings.

Where do you get 90% from? NIH says 65% of Americans age 60 or older.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

What makes you think that diet is the main cause of high blood pressure, given that the exact causes of HBP are not known, and that people are often not able to reduce their HBP with diet and exercise?
  • karmelpopcorn
    karmelpopcorn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Okay well even at 65%?

I had heard in other places that it was 90%.

But let's use 65%
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Then why isn't it the same calorie for calorie? like I said earlier? What is doubtful ?

If you mean the same number of calories, then yes, it would be basically the same.

But if you mean you'll consume the same thing for those calories, then the additives will likely make it differ.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

If you mean the same number of calories, then yes, it would be basically the same.

But if you mean you'll consume the same thing for those calories, then the additives will likely make it differ.

It was pretty clear she said "calorie for calorie" so not sure what/why you are arguing.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »

It was pretty clear she said "calorie for calorie" so not sure what/why you are arguing.

I wasn't aware I was arguing. Not that I can see why it would be your concern, but I was clarifying since I think I misinterpreted the original message to which I replied and she seemed to want clarification since she posted more than one response to my post asking about my response.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

senecarr wrote: »

Okay well even at 65%?

But let's use 65%

Let's also use age 60 and older. Aging happens. If it were 65% of the population age 40 and up, that might be cause for concern; but at age 60 or so, I'm less convinced that there's a problem that can be pinned on sulfites or processed foods specifically.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    My child is diabetic and the doctor told us always to avoid processed foods of all types meaning pre-made dinners, cream of wheat, pre-made potatoes, pancake batter,ice cream, pasta is a big one, .. so eat whole foods. Okay foods are chicken, fish, some red meat, yogurt, beans, cheese, whole wheat bread(s) ,brown rice, fresh veggies and fruit etc from my understanding. Processed foods make your blood sugar go thru the roof. I love cream of wheat but it's not as good for you as you think. Yes junk food all highly processed is not good for you so McDonalds burgers are not as good for you as a veggie burger you make yourself. I'm focusing right now on this whole subject so I make my own "power shakes" I do not buy them at Panera bread. I know there are mix fresh berries with ice and non -fat yogurt and chi seeds because I made it myself. So canned tuna is just a fish in a can so probably okay but fresh tuna you cook yourself is still better. I guess if you didn't make it your self , from my understanding you can trust the ingredients 100% to be "natural', "organic" etc . But something that has been "milled" is a no-no.

I don't understand a definition of "processed" that excludes things like cheese and yogurt. Why would bread be okay but pancake batter be unacceptable?

Depends, how did you make the pancake batter? If like many folks you used Bisquick it's loaded with trans fats(at least in the US).
  • senecarr
    Options

Okay well even at 65%?

But let's use 65%

Let's also use age 60 and older. Aging happens. If it were 65% of the population age 40 and up, that might be cause for concern; but at age 60 or so, I'm less convinced that there's a problem that can be pinned on sulfites or processed foods specifically.

Yeah. To an extent it could just be a feature of old age that isn't entirely preventable or necessarily as harmful as the same blood pressure in a younger individual. A similar thought is being proposed around BMI measurements - that gaining some weight in old age may be viewed as normal, while staying one's weight may indicate health problems. It could also easily be linked to the changes in activity level many have as they enter retirement.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Okay well even at 65%?

But let's use 65%

Yeah. To an extent it could just be a feature of old age that isn't entirely preventable or necessarily as harmful as the same blood pressure in a younger individual. A similar thought is being proposed around BMI measurements - that gaining some weight in old age may be viewed as normal, while staying one's weight may indicate health problems. It could also easily be linked to the changes in activity level many have as they enter retirement.

I think this is may be true. My BP went up several points after menopause, even though I'd lost weight and increased activity level. It's not high, but it is consistently higher than it used to be.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »

I wasn't aware I was arguing. Not that I can see why it would be your concern, but I was clarifying since I think I misinterpreted the original message to which I replied and she seemed to want clarification since she posted more than one response to my post asking about my response.

K
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Technically cooking and butchering are processing so I guess the only unprocessed foods are raw veggies and fruits?

But we all know that is not what is meant in this discussion. Same for frozen vegetables.

Yep, they all do.

Semantics.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Depends, how did you make the pancake batter? If like many folks you used Bisquick it's loaded with trans fats(at least in the US).

Then it's pancake mix that is the issue, not pancake batter (which I make from scratch).