Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Taking a stand against my trainers diet

lets get some background out of the way:

I had lost 50 lbs just following the rules of myfitnesspal. Through the guidelines, i got to my goal weight and that was it. Fast forward to last year, i began taking Citalophram(generic version of celexa) and i began to gain weight. I gained enough to move me up a pant size and it was depressing to go through while the medicine was helping me big time on the anxiety.

So desperate times called for desperate measures. I called up a trainer who was also a nutrionist. He is a professional bodybuilder and trained several people to reach their weights for competition. So i figured what the heck. He does fat measurements and it says 24.7% and gets copies of my blood work. His main goal was to get me off my pills and back to just being normal without medicine. I also told him i had injuries with my neck and elbow. He would then take everything and build me a customized workout. I also told him i wanted the holy grail of finally seeing abs.

So i begin and he gives me my workout and it has workouts that werent good for my neck. Which made me alittle upset being he was supposed to make it catered to my injuries. As in he was supposed to be detailed. And the diet was more on the paleo side. Limited on the carbs i eat and it has to be ezekiel bread only for bread products. No carrots or corn. I was on it for 4 weeks and only lost 1 lb being strict on it. Then my trainer says i cant have eggs from a deli and just to eat something else. Frustration begins. Also, there is no logging of foods and im sure im eating more than a calorie deficit so that begins to worry me. Not to mention, he didnt have me workout enough to burn the fat. Reach my frustration peak.

So now i decided to eat back to the way i used to while incorporating some things i learned. I prepare my meals and eat alittle more carbs. But im back to logging everything in here. Make sure i measure it all and jot it all down.

So what im asking is, you can still eat some carbs just as long as its under the calorie deficit to see abs correct?

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    I don't know enough to answer your question about carbs and calories.

But it sounds like you need a different trainer. Not taking your injuries into consideration (especially for the neck) is incredibly serious and negligent on his part. I know a couple people who have sustained additional neck injuries because the professionals they were working with (massage therapist, trainer, etc.) claimed to take those injuries into account, didn't, and caused further injury. Please take this seriously!
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    puffbrat wrote: »

But it sounds like you need a different trainer. Not taking your injuries into consideration (especially for the neck) is incredibly serious and negligent on his part. I know a couple people who have sustained additional neck injuries because the professionals they were working with (massage therapist, trainer, etc.) claimed to take those injuries into account, didn't, and caused further injury. Please take this seriously!

exactly... mind you he was supposed to but didnt. So i said f it. i will follow a workout and modify it myself then his following.

what do you need to know about carbs and calories?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Yes, of course you can eat carbs. Maintain a deficit.

I'm sorry. These are the type of trainers that need to be fired. He is giving you a diet plan and exercise routine that works for HIM or some generic client. Why in the world CAN'T you have corn or carrots or a freaking bag of M&Ms for that matter?! Sorry...I'm upset.

It sounds to me you know how to lose weight, as you've done it before. I think you should hire a better trainer, one that can help you with a routine that won't bother your injuries-and who doesn't give you diet advice. Just come here or read up on nutrition yourself.
  • tryin2die2self
    tryin2die2self Posts: 207 Member
    I concur with @puffbrat about the trainer not taking injuries into account. That said, I am not so sure about the diet. I think the "holy grail of finally seeing abs" is what has set you down the current road. Everyone has a 6/8 pack hiding under there, it is just the fat blocking it from view. The trainer putting you on a Very Low Carb diet is their way of trying to get your body to convert fat into energy. It does work, but it does not work well for all people. Also I think you are fixating on losing the pound in a month. Have your measurements changed? What about body fat percentages? If those remained constant AND you only lost a pound AND you have stuck to the trainer's guidelines to the T... then it does sound like you have a issue.

I think you need to jot down you priorities and take that list back to your trainer. If it were me, I would address getting better and staving off aggravating old injuries. Once I got to that point THEN I would shift gears and look toward the six pack.

Good luck to you!!
  • JLG1986
    JLG1986 Posts: 212 Member
    I'm sorry your trainer isn't taking care of you - I think it's time for a new one! My trainer immediately modifies my exercises or corrects my form if I make any indication that they cause me pain (I have an old neck injury, and my back also occasionally objects). He is also very attentive to what I want for diet - he always says that the strictness of diet relates to what the individual really wants. For example, he has a couple people at the gym who compete in fitness competitions, and their diets are extremely strict, low carb, high protein, etc. But most of us who work out there are average folks looking to get a little stronger or a littler thinner while still enjoying a grilled cheese now and again. He advises a lower carb but not a low carb diet, and there are no absolutes, just less unhealthy and more healthy choices.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    puffbrat wrote: »

Apparently it was too early for thinking. I meant the correlation between eating carbs and seeing abs.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    The answer to your question is absolutely. I eat about 1 gram per pound of carbs, give or take. My carbs fluctuate up and down the most. Being in a calorie deficit is most important to losing weight. I eat heavy protein to maintain as much muscle as I can while being in a deficit.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    arditarose wrote: »

I'm sorry. These are the type of trainers that need to be fired. He is giving you a diet plan and exercise routine that works for HIM or some generic client. Why in the world CAN'T you have corn or carrots or a freaking bag of M&Ms for that matter?! Sorry...I'm upset.

It sounds to me you know how to lose weight, as you've done it before. I think you should hire a better trainer, one that can help you with a routine that won't bother your injuries-and who doesn't give you diet advice. Just come here or read up on nutrition yourself.

absolutely. i mean it was upsetting already that i have anxiety issues and now you are telling me more obstacles of what i can and cannot eat. Im like f that. I want whole wheat bread but not just ezekiel bread.

Plus yeah with the injuries i told him i cant squat because of my neck injuries. First thing in my workout is squats. Im like WTF?. Upsets me but i figure after reading more and more discussions on here, people are getting abs with just going under a calorie deficit.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Well, there are many different ways to do things. It sounds like you and this trainer don't jive! You need to be at like 8-10% body fat to see abs. It takes a lot of hard work. You will have to buckle down eventually if you want the abs.

I suggest you read the book Body for life, it's extreme.y motivational (and the book eating for life) by Bill Phillips. He is well known for getting bodies in shape. The diet is super easy to follow, you eat a portion of carbs and protein at every meal, and you can still track on here. I did it for a while, I lost 1.5 pounds every week consistently, all body fat, even with my free day. I p,an to do it again once in ready. Check out bodybuilding.com. Scroll down and look at the left of the page, go to Bill Phillips back to fit. You will find his nutrition, workouts and some recipes. Eating for life is all of his recipes. It's great. Here is the link to the page. I think you will like it.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bill-phillips-back-to-fit-trainer-nutrition.html
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Yes! If you have a deficit you can eat carbs. I eat a vegan nutrition plan and my carbs are off the chart, yet I maintain at my healthy weight if not slightly under, and yeah... you can see my abs! It seems to me that your trainer is in it more for himself than for his client. As far as "telling" you what to eat and what not to eat? That's not what a proper nutritionist does. Not unless the client specifically wants a detailed daily food plan. He should simply be recommending, advising and checking in with you to see how things are going, how your feeling and to gauge progress or lack there of. Plans are meant to change every 30 days or so, just like our bodies do. The injury thing? Well that's just plain stupid! Find a new trainer.
  • arditarose
    raven56706 wrote: »

absolutely. i mean it was upsetting already that i have anxiety issues and now you are telling me more obstacles of what i can and cannot eat. Im like f that. I want whole wheat bread but not just ezekiel bread.

Plus yeah with the injuries i told him i cant squat because of my neck injuries. First thing in my workout is squats. Im like WTF?. Upsets me but i figure after reading more and more discussions on here, people are getting abs with just going under a calorie deficit.

Yeah, I'm sorry. I think you know what to do here. And you know, if you want to stay on this medication you can-and still lose weight. The meds may have changed your appetite, but if you get into a calorie deficit you'll still lose. And you can eat whatever bread you'd like...just an amount that fits into your deficit :)

There may be some good trainers out there who can help you to squat, even with a neck injury, depending on what it is. I don't think this guy has your best interest in mind though.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    lets get some background out of the way:

I had lost 50 lbs just following the rules of myfitnesspal. Through the guidelines, i got to my goal weight and that was it. Fast forward to last year, i began taking Citalophram(generic version of celexa) and i began to gain weight. I gained enough to move me up a pant size and it was depressing to go through while the medicine was helping me big time on the anxiety.

So desperate times called for desperate measures. I called up a trainer who was also a nutrionist. He is a professional bodybuilder and trained several people to reach their weights for competition. So i figured what the heck. He does fat measurements and it says 24.7% and gets copies of my blood work. His main goal was to get me off my pills and back to just being normal without medicine. I also told him i had injuries with my neck and elbow. He would then take everything and build me a customized workout. I also told him i wanted the holy grail of finally seeing abs.

So i begin and he gives me my workout and it has workouts that werent good for my neck. Which made me a little upset being he was supposed to make it catered to my injuries. As in he was supposed to be detailed. And the diet was more on the paleo side. Limited on the carbs i eat and it has to be ezekiel bread only for bread products. No carrots or corn. I was on it for 4 weeks and only lost 1 lb being strict on it. Then my trainer says i cant have eggs from a deli and just to eat something else. Frustration begins. Also, there is no logging of foods and im sure im eating more than a calorie deficit so that begins to worry me. Not to mention, he didnt have me workout enough to burn the fat. Reach my frustration peak.

So now i decided to eat back to the way i used to while incorporating some things i learned. I prepare my meals and eat alittle more carbs. But im back to logging everything in here. Make sure i measure it all and jot it all down.

So what im asking is, you can still eat some carbs just as long as its under the calorie deficit to see abs correct?

Are you working out with him in person? How did the conversation go? Four years ago, my doctors told me not to do squats due to my knees. I've been considering hiring a trainer who can work with me to develop a lower body routine that won't hurt my knees. I would like to be able to do squats one day. But if I thought the workout was generic and not tailored to me, you'd better believe there would be a lengthy conversation about it.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    it sounds like he's not the right trainer for you.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    What's wrong with carrots? Sugar? Vitamins? Carbs from a raw vegetable?
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Wait, is the neck hurting dealy with squats because there is a bar on your back? Trainer isn't aware of front or goblet squats? Is it possible to just look down or not as straight ahead when you squat? This trainer...
  • who4fan
    who4fan Posts: 388 Member
    As someone mentioned above, it is a lot of hard work to see your abs. You have to get your body fat to a pretty low percentage for that to happen. Higher protein and eating at a small deficit will make your body trade some fat for muscle. You will lose inches, but the scale creeps down. If you want to eat more carbs, it is probably still possible but it would probably take longer to convert the fat to muscle. Good luck whatever you decide!
  • arditarose
    who4fan wrote: »
    As someone mentioned above, it is a lot of hard work to see your abs. You have to get your body fat to a pretty low percentage for that to happen. Higher protein and eating at a small deficit will make your body trade some fat for muscle. You will lose inches, but the scale creeps down. If you want to eat more carbs, it is probably still possible but it would probably take longer to convert the fat to muscle. Good luck whatever you decide!

We don't convert fat to muscle.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    edited March 2016

No, but you most certainly can lose fat and build muscle at the same time.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited March 2016

I am confused.. did you say you were on meds for anxiety, that caused you weight gain?
    If so, then would it not make sense to talk to your doctor to get off of it or that would just mean a larger calorie deficit by exercising?

• who4fan
    who4fan Posts: 388 Member

No, but you most certainly can lose fat and build muscle at the same time.

Thanks, that's exactly what I meant!