Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Taking a stand against my trainers diet

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    We don't convert fat to muscle.

No, but you most certainly can lose fat and build muscle at the same time.

not really.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member

I am confused.. did you say you were on meds for anxiety, that caused you weight gain?
    If so, then would it not make sense to talk to your doctor to get off of it or that would just mean a larger calorie deficit by exercising?

The medicine likely increased his appetite, causing him to overeat and put on the pounds. It's very common with those types of drugs; however, if he tracks his food and stays within a calorie deficit, he will still be able to lose weight, even on the drug. If it's otherwise improving his quality of life, it's probably in his best interest to keep taking it and just keep track of the foods that he eats.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    SonyaCele wrote: »

not really.

Isn't that what happens during a recomp?

I know that isn't the case with the OP, who is eating in a deficit, but if you're eating at maintenance and doing a progressive lifting program, isn't it possible to lose fat and build muscle at the same time?

Or am I wrong about how recomp works?
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member

I am confused.. did you say you were on meds for anxiety, that caused you weight gain?
    If so, then would it not make sense to talk to your doctor to get off of it or that would just mean a larger calorie deficit by exercising?

The medicine likely increased his appetite, causing him to overeat and put on the pounds. It's very common with those types of drugs; however, if he tracks his food and stays within a calorie deficit, he will still be able to lose weight, even on the drug. If it's otherwise improving his quality of life, it's probably in his best interest to keep taking it and just keep track of the foods that he eats.

That part I get.

He gained weight, he knows why he gained weight. so instead of talking to the doctor about switching drugs, he decides to change his diet.

For me, for me, If I was gaining weight, and it was a concern, I would talk to my doctor 1st, and increase my cardio
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt

That part I get.

He gained weight, he knows why he gained weight. so instead of talking to the doctor about switching drugs, he decides to change his diet.

For me, for me, If I was gaining weight, and it was a concern, I would talk to my doctor 1st, and increase my cardio

I understand where you're coming from, but the easiest thing to do in that situation is to take control of your diet, which really doesn't require a doctor's supervision if you have no other health concerns.

Now, if I were logging my food and still having issues with my hunger/weight to the point where it was lowering my quality of life, then I would probably talk to my doctor. It just seems that trying to control your diet is the easiest option here, considering that it can be difficult to find the best antidepressants/anti-anxiety meds for your situation, and they usually take a couple of weeks at least to have an effect.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member

That part I get.

trust me i thought of it but i just cant go cold turkey. I do want to come off the pill but eventually. im not ready yet to do so but thats for other reasons.

In the meantime, i want to reverse the "effects" of the diet and get to a goal. Being on this semi paleo diet just made me angry and upset about stuff. didnt help with trying to eat right and then while in the middle of it even restrict more things.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 700 Member
    edited March 2016
    OP there are anxiety drugs out there that won't stimulate your appetite talk to your Dr. Also I don't know of any diet or exercise program that will cure you of your anxiety. Exercise is always good for you unless it will injure you but it won't make your need for the meds go away.

Edited
  • raven56706
    Char231023 wrote: »
    OP there are anxiety drugs out there that won't stimulate your appetite talk to your Dr. Also I don't know of any diet or exercise program that will cure you of your anxiety. Exercise is always good for you unless it will injure you but it won't make your need for the meds go away.

Edited

i kind of figured this but thats what he told me. I mean i was like cool sounds good. I was game even if he didnt tell me this.

I wouldnt mind getting a new medicine but im doing well mentally with this one. I dont want to mess up a good thing
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    raven56706 wrote: »

Edited

i kind of figured this but thats what he told me. I mean i was like cool sounds good. I was game even if he didnt tell me this.

I wouldnt mind getting a new medicine but im doing well mentally with this one. I dont want to mess up a good thing

You're doing fine. If the medicine is helping your anxiety, that's great! You will be able to get your eating under control. Just be patient and keep logging. :smile:
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member

not really.

Yes, you absolutely can. I've studied it. I've done it. I used the body for life thing for a long time and did it. I used to get my body fat done, in the water, every twelve weeks. It takes a lot longer to build muscle than to lose fat, but it absolutely can happen at the same time. That does not mean one becomes the other, just that both things happen simultaneously.

If you think you can't, you are not knowledgable in this.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    edited March 2016

That part I get.

trust me i thought of it but i just cant go cold turkey. I do want to come off the pill but eventually. im not ready yet to do so but thats for other reasons.

In the meantime, i want to reverse the "effects" of the diet and get to a goal. Being on this semi paleo diet just made me angry and upset about stuff. didnt help with trying to eat right and then while in the middle of it even restrict more things.

Then it sounds like semi-paleo is not for you. There are plenty of other ways to create a calorie deficit.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member

not really. maybe in newbie gains, but not long term.

they require totally different caloric intakes. to build muscle, you have to be in a surplus. To lose weight, you have to be in a deficit. This is why weight lifters go through ' bulk and cut' cycles.
  • RA60172
    RA60172 Posts: 137 Member
    edited March 2016
    If you like how your medication treats your anxiety but the side effects are disruptive to your life, PLEASE talk to your doctor. That's their job. One of the very first anti-anxiety medications I took worked, but I got terrible migraines and mood swings if I didn't take it at the exact same time every day. It took a few different medications at different dosages, but I finally found one that works and doesn't have bad side effects.

ETA: Personal trainers are not licensed psychologists or psychiatrists. They can not make promises about "curing" anxiety or other mental health conditions, and definitely should not be trying to take you off of prescribed medication.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    edited March 2016

not really. maybe in newbie gains, but not long term.

they require totally different caloric intakes. to build muscle, you have to be in a surplus. To lose weight, you have to be in a deficit. This is why weight lifters go through ' bulk and cut' cycles.

Yes you can! Where did you get the info that you can't from? It's wrong.

You know when people's weight stays the same but they lose lots of inches? That's why. Because they lost fat weight and gained muscle weight. So their size changed but their weight didn't. A pound of muscle is much more compact than a pound of fat.

You might not be able to gain the amounts of muscle a professional weight lifter would, very few people can, but how many people here are aiming for that? That's a whole different ball game. You are not comparing apples to apples.

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,312 Member

not really.

Yes, you absolutely can. I've studied it. I've done it. I used the body for life thing for a long time and did it. I used to get my body fat done, in the water, every twelve weeks. It takes a lot longer to build muscle than to lose fat, but it absolutely can happen at the same time. That does not mean one becomes the other, just that both things happen simultaneously.

If you think you can't, you are not knowledgable in this.

At a calorie deficit it generally cannot, at least not in any significant manner. A little muscle can be put on for someone who have never trained with weights before maybe 1 or 2 pounds. If a person used to train and have a lot of muscle, they can build some for a while in a deficit as well, but again not a huge amount, not fast, and not for an extended period of time. If a person has a lot of fat to use, again they are an exception, but again only a small amount and only for a limited amount of time.

What many people confuse for muscle gain is water retention in muscles that happens when weight training. It happens to help in repair of the muscle tissue and to protect it. However, it is not actual muscle gain. The other thing that is often confused for muscle gain is the muscle that is already there from carrying around that extra fat now starting to become visible because it is no longer covered up.

For muscle gain a person needs to get out of a calorie deficit. They either need to eat at maintenance and do a slow re-comp, or eat at a small surplus and do a bulk followed by a cut. Building muscle and losing substantial amounts of fat is not something that generally happens.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    If he's not taking your injuries into consideration then he's not the right trainer. But unless he placed a bar/weights across your shoulders for squats, I don't see how you're hurting your neck unless you have bad form - which is what you'll learn from a trainer. Squats are incredible for a range of reasons but again without being there I have no idea if he was making you something dangerous for your neck.

Anyways, you can of course have carbs - there's no doubt about that. But the reason why weight lifting programmes are heavy on the protein (not necessarily paleo which people say these days) is because it helps repair muscles / fuels recovery and is actually amazing for satiety. Considering he, as you say, focuses on weight lifting it's perhaps unsurprising that he put you on a nutrition plan that seems a lot more heavier on the protein side.

However, above all, if he isn't listening to your needs then you need to change your trainer.

As for abs, you need to work on losing body fat to see those muscles which we all have underneath!
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    lets get some background out of the way:

I had lost 50 lbs just following the rules of myfitnesspal. Through the guidelines, i got to my goal weight and that was it. Fast forward to last year, i began taking Citalophram(generic version of celexa) and i began to gain weight. I gained enough to move me up a pant size and it was depressing to go through while the medicine was helping me big time on the anxiety.

So desperate times called for desperate measures. I called up a trainer who was also a nutrionist. He is a professional bodybuilder and trained several people to reach their weights for competition. So i figured what the heck. He does fat measurements and it says 24.7% and gets copies of my blood work. His main goal was to get me off my pills and back to just being normal without medicine. I also told him i had injuries with my neck and elbow. He would then take everything and build me a customized workout. I also told him i wanted the holy grail of finally seeing abs.

So i begin and he gives me my workout and it has workouts that werent good for my neck. Which made me alittle upset being he was supposed to make it catered to my injuries. As in he was supposed to be detailed. And the diet was more on the paleo side. Limited on the carbs i eat and it has to be ezekiel bread only for bread products. No carrots or corn. I was on it for 4 weeks and only lost 1 lb being strict on it. Then my trainer says i cant have eggs from a deli and just to eat something else. Frustration begins. Also, there is no logging of foods and im sure im eating more than a calorie deficit so that begins to worry me. Not to mention, he didnt have me workout enough to burn the fat. Reach my frustration peak.

So now i decided to eat back to the way i used to while incorporating some things i learned. I prepare my meals and eat alittle more carbs. But im back to logging everything in here. Make sure i measure it all and jot it all down.

So what im asking is, you can still eat some carbs just as long as its under the calorie deficit to see abs correct?

Wait...what???

Clearly this guy doesn't know what he's talking about on so many, MANY levels.
  • raven56706
    elsinora wrote: »
    If he's not taking your injuries into consideration then he's not the right trainer. But unless he placed a bar/weights across your shoulders for squats, I don't see how you're hurting your neck unless you have bad form - which is what you'll learn from a trainer. Squats are incredible for a range of reasons but again without being there I have no idea if he was making you something dangerous for your neck.

Anyways, you can of course have carbs - there's no doubt about that. But the reason why weight lifting programmes are heavy on the protein (not necessarily paleo which people say these days) is because it helps repair muscles / fuels recovery and is actually amazing for satiety. Considering he, as you say, focuses on weight lifting it's perhaps unsurprising that he put you on a nutrition plan that seems a lot more heavier on the protein side.

However, above all, if he isn't listening to your needs then you need to change your trainer.

As for abs, you need to work on losing body fat to see those muscles which we all have underneath!

true without a doubt. Thats why i have been lurking alittle and asking questions here and there(if you see my history) because i dont want to hurt myself while trying to get to a goal. I want to meet it in a happy way and not a struggling sad way. I know I need to get hard work in it and all that. Understandable. But i cant see how 100% multigrain bread is bad for you.

also inregards to the squats, my doctor said it isnt good to strain your neck with squats. I have a buldging disk and a herniation. I will take my doctors word for it. I can still press with no issues.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member

Edited

I was going to say this. It may be wise to try a different medication to see how the side effects are. I myself tried 3 different kinds until I was comfortable with my current one.

Above all else, never, ever, go cold turkey off your meds.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Regarding the abs, everyone is different. I couldn't see my abs at 24%. I started seeing them and getting a beach body around 15%. Eat at the right levels and when the fat burns off, then you will see more definition.