Are you discouraged by your TDEE

Options

Replies

• rdrettig1
    rdrettig1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Mine is about 1500 not counting eating back exercise calories. I only do 30 or so minutes of exercise daily anyway so the calorie burn isn't very high.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    Options
    Are you discouraged by your TDEE?

Yes ... very.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,147 Member
    Options
    I don’t follow the TDEE method because when I do I gain weight and I am not planning to do a bulk; besides, every fitness website gives me a different number, so what is the point. Very confusing and discouraging.
    I set up my maintenance calories by hand in MFP at 1450 and I don’t log or eat my exercise calories unless I am hungry. I keep track of the numbers in the comment section of the exercise diary and I just use them as a cushion for the weekends or for specially occasions, if needed. At my age and size exercise calories are not a lot anyway. I am more concerned about how many minutes I exercise during the week than how many calories I burn. So far I have been maintaining for five an half years between 102lbs and 104lbs, and I am happy with the amount of calories that I eat. My average BMR is about 1040 so eating 1450 calories is good and enough, and I am not hungry or weak.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I don’t follow the TDEE method because when I do I gain weight and I am not planning to do a bulk; besides, every fitness website gives me a different number, so what is the point. Very confusing and discouraging.
    I set up my maintenance calories by hand in MFP at 1450 and I don’t log or eat my exercise calories unless I am hungry. I keep track of the numbers in the comment section of the exercise diary and I just use them as a cushion for the weekends or for specially occasions, if needed. At my age and size exercise calories are not a lot anyway. I am more concerned about how many minutes I exercise during the week than how many calories I burn. So far I have been maintaining for five an half years between 102lbs and 104lbs, and I am happy with the amount of calories that I eat. My average BMR is about 1040 so eating 1450 calories is good and enough, and I am not hungry or weak.

TDEE works... but you have to adjust it.

If you're maintaining at MFP calories without eating back exercise calories, you're eating more than you think anyway... or you would be losing... it's basic math. But great job maintaining for so long for sure.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    This thread is funny because let's be honest, if I was satisfied with my 2100-2200 TDEE (I don't know anymore, tbh), I would never have reached 213 pounds in the first place. Bottom line, I will ALWAYS feel deprived if I want to maintain a normal weight.

I don't know, I'm pretty sure my TDEE is higher now and I eat more food than before I lost weight, because I'm far more active. Plus I think many people learn how to focus on eating more satiating foods in this process, so yeah, I'm satisfied with my TDEE.

Constantly being unhappy with how you have to eat in order to lose or maintain weight seems like a recipe for failure and why people give up and JSF

Well, obviously, but if you have a pill or a tip to make me magically happy with being able to eat 500 less calories than I used to while being hungrier, please share!

Prozac? :)

Yup
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Yes and No. Right now at my current body fat levels my TDEE is 2,046 back when I used to lift prior to having my daughter a few months ago my TDEE was closer to 2350, I can not wait to get back to my active lifestyle and be able to eat more and still maintain.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    momo_t90 wrote: »
    I'm discouraged by my TDEE but for different reasons. My TDEE is 1880, but my maintainence calories is 2600. I'm 5'5" and currently weigh 248. I want to lose 2 lbs a week. That requires a deficit of 1000 cals a day. That would put me at 1600 and below my TDEE. SO to stay at 1880 a day and burn enough calories for 2 lbs a week I have to burn another 720 a day through exercise. I don't eat back the calories I burn, but if I took the advice of eating back 50% of what I burn through exercise, then I'd have to burn 1440 through exercise and that's just not possible with my schedule. I walk on the treadmill with an incline of 1.5 for 2 hours max (most of the time 1 hour) at 2.5 mph and burn around 500 cal.

Wait. I did my math wrong hold on.

Ok I did the math over and over. If I ate half my exercise calories back, it'd be impossible to burn enough calories to lose 2 lbs a week with a TDEE of 1880 and maintainence calories at 2600.

I'm not following any of your numbers. Your maintenance is 2600? That would be your TDEE then. In order to lose 2 lbs/week you would eat 1600. You don't eat back exercise calories if working off of your TDEE as they are included in that estimate. What is the total you are trying to lose?

I think they mixed up BMR and TDEE.
  • Gisel2015
    Options

If you're maintaining at MFP calories without eating back exercise calories, you're eating more than you think anyway... or you would be losing... it's basic math. But great job maintaining for so long for sure.

There goes the mantra again. And by the way, there are NOT MFP calories, they are MINE. Read my post again please I specified that I set the calories by hand at 1450; MFP would give me less than that if I let it.

I am 72 years old and 4 feet 11, I really don't need much to maintain so I found my happy weight and happy calories. What is wrong with that?

I still weigh my food :# so if the math is wrong, it is MFP's not mine.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options

As much as you'd like it to be, the answer is not so simple. A body is individual and everyone's metabolic processes are different, not linear. People can maintain on a wide range of calories, and everyones TDEE varies pretty substantially day to day.

You are beginning to sound pretty bitter about your lack of success, and you seem otb more and more taking it out on other peoples posts and assuming everyone is just like you.
  • Francl27
    Options

There goes the mantra again. And by the way, there are NOT MFP calories, they are MINE. Read my post again please I specified that I set the calories by hand at 1450; MFP would give me less than that if I let it.

I am 72 years old and 4 feet 11, I really don't need much to maintain so I found my happy weight and happy calories. What is wrong with that?

Ok so you're eating at TDEE then, and not MFP. Gotcha.

As much as you'd like it to be, the answer is not so simple. A body is individual and everyone's metabolic processes are different, not linear. People can maintain on a wide range of calories, and everyones TDEE varies pretty substantially day to day.

You are beginning to sound pretty bitter about your lack of success, and you seem otb more and more taking it out on other peoples posts and assuming everyone is just like you.

Well I don't call losing 78 pounds and maintaining that loss for 2 years 'lack of success' and I'm pretty offended that you think it is. You're a pretty rude person, aren't you?

But you can't argue with science. Sorry. If you're not losing weight, you're eating at maintenance. If you're not losing weight not eating exercise calories using an app where you're supposed to eat your exercise calories back, it means that either your metabolism is abnormally low, or you're eating more than you think... so it's safe to assume that people are not special snowflakes and eating more than they think.

But for her, yeah, 1450 seems about right. It was just my impression that she wasn't eating at TDEE but at MFP levels, but apparently I was wrong.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Well I don't call losing 78 pounds and maintaining that loss for 2 years 'lack of success' and I'm pretty offended that you think it is. You're a pretty rude person, aren't you?

But you can't argue with science. Sorry. If you're not losing weight, you're eating at maintenance. If you're not losing weight not eating exercise calories using an app where you're supposed to eat your exercise calories back, it means that either your metabolism is abnormally low, or you're eating more than you think... so it's safe to assume that people are not special snowflakes and eating more than they think.

But for her, yeah, 1450 seems about right. It was just my impression that she wasn't eating at TDEE but at MFP levels, but apparently I was wrong.

No one can argue with the bolded, it is very true.

• jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options

You are constantly complaining about not being able to lose the last 10 or 15lbs, gaining weight over the holidays, I read the forums regularly and rarely do I see you post anything positive, you have gotten to the point of bringing down people in other threads. You complain about your lack of calories, and it all comes off very negative.

No your wrong everyone and their bodies adapt and change a little differently. You can't apply it evenly across an entire population of people.
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you should be eating to live, not living to eat. If you're able to eat X calories, maintain your weight, and not be hungry, that should be enough. You can fit in treats and do extra exercise if necessary.

If you're hungry and not gaining weight, you may need more calories (or better food choices)
  • Gisel2015
    Options

I am not really eating at TDEE because according to IIFYM my TDEE is (or should be) 1587 (BMR 884), so if I am eating about 1450 calories/day then I am between MFP and TDEE. Scooby give me a higher number for TDEE and BMR, so which site is better and which site should we follow, huh? Everything is relative

Honestly I don't care because formulas or websites don't decide how much I eat or should eat; they are not the holy grail. I am happy with my weight and with my food intake and that is all that matters. If I am hungry I eat more, if I want to lose a lb, I eat less. End of discussion. :)
  • irenehb
    irenehb Posts: 236 Member
    Options

I am not really eating at TDEE because according to IIFYM my TDEE is (or should be) 1587 (BMR 884), so if I am eating about 1450 calories/day then I am between MFP and TDEE. Scooby give me a higher number for TDEE and BMR, so which site is better and which site should we follow, huh? Everything is relative

Honestly I don't care because formulas or websites don't decide how much I eat or should eat; they are not the holy grail. I am happy with my weight and with my food intake and that is all that matters. If I am hungry I eat more, if I want to lose a lb, I eat less. End of discussion. :)

But you are eating at your TDEE since you weight has been stable long term. It just means the online calculators do not work for you probably because your activity level falls in-between categories (lightly active vs moderately active, for example)
  • Francl27
    Options
    irenehb wrote: »

But you are eating at your TDEE since you weight has been stable long term. It just means the online calculators do not work for you probably because your activity level falls in-between categories (lightly active vs moderately active, for example)

Yeah it's what I meant. I mean, every calculator gives you a different TDEE anyway. But for me eating at TDEE means you eat at maintenance without worrying about exercise calories every single day - you just average your activity in your number.
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    People tend to pick a weight they want to be and consider that fixed, then try to get their calorie intake level to that and maintain it. Sometimes I think the better strategy is to figure out what the lowest calorie level is that they could maintain for the rest of their life, then consider that fixed, and figure out how much exercise they can reasonably do on an ongoing basis, then accept what weight they arrive at as their lowest maintainable weight.
  • Francl27
    Options
    People tend to pick a weight they want to be and consider that fixed, then try to get their calorie intake level to that and maintain it. Sometimes I think the better strategy is to figure out what the lowest calorie level is that they could maintain for the rest of their life, then consider that fixed, and figure out how much exercise they can reasonably do on an ongoing basis, then accept what weight they arrive at as their lowest maintainable weight.

Wisdom right there!
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options

You are constantly complaining about not being able to lose the last 10 or 15lbs, gaining weight over the holidays, I read the forums regularly and rarely do I see you post anything positive, you have gotten to the point of bringing down people in other threads. You complain about your lack of calories, and it all comes off very negative.

No your wrong everyone and their bodies adapt and change a little differently. You can't apply it evenly across an entire population of people.

I have found that the best thing to do with people who are always whining like that poster is block them with the ignore feature.. Unfortunately I can still see her (mostly) negative posts in quotes. I do find it hilarious that she is telling people they're not special snowflakes but gets all bent out of shape when someone points out to her that all women have periods and hormones and she's not a special snowflake. Ironic.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    https://supertracker.usda.gov/bwp/

Check this site out, they allow for fairly detailed entry of activities / exercise.....

Yikes. That gave me crazy numbers, compared to everything else I've seen.