Are you discouraged by your TDEE

Options
12346»

Replies

• mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Remember TDEE is just an estimate. I enjoy using the method because it keeps me accountable for getting my exercise in. I have learned over the years that my own data is always more valuable. Maybe average them out. Try this calculator link below. It averages them all out for you. Dont be discouraged. Keep working at it.

http://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    People tend to pick a weight they want to be and consider that fixed, then try to get their calorie intake level to that and maintain it. Sometimes I think the better strategy is to figure out what the lowest calorie level is that they could maintain for the rest of their life, then consider that fixed, and figure out how much exercise they can reasonably do on an ongoing basis, then accept what weight they arrive at as their lowest maintainable weight.

Yes. I think that this is the way to go. How many calories per day do you think that you will be happy with can grudgingly accept living with? How much exercise are you willing to do?

Do you want to eat 2000 kcal per day? Do you want to eat 1800 kcal per day? 1600?

Do you want to be sedentary? Do you want to walk 3mph for 30 minutes twice a week? Do you want to run 20 miles week?

Whatever you choose, you then have figure out the weight and exercise activity level that will make that level of eating sustainable.

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    @Heartisalonelyhunter and @minizebu

We all have out own strategies and goals. To say that there is a better way to do things is to negate somebody else preferences. Your approach will be OK for those that plan to weigh and log their food for eternity, but no many of us are willing or planning to do that. Actually, there are many people in the forums that haven't log steady for a long time and they seem to be happy and maintaining without a problem. Maybe we can ask them what system do they use....
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Remember TDEE is just an estimate. I enjoy using the method because it keeps me accountable for getting my exercise in. I have learned over the years that my own data is always more valuable. Maybe average them out. Try this calculator link below. It averages them all out for you. Dont be discouraged. Keep working at it.

That's a great calculator! Thanks!
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    @Heartisalonelyhunter and @minizebu

We all have out own strategies and goals. To say that there is a better way to do things is to negate somebody else preferences. Your approach will be OK for those that plan to weigh and log their food for eternity, but no many of us are willing or planning to do that. Actually, there are many people in the forums that haven't log steady for a long time and they seem to be happy and maintaining without a problem. Maybe we can ask them what system do they use....

I don't know what this is referring to. What is 'my approach'?? I have never been overweight and I have never weighed my food.
  • mmmpork
    mmmpork Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My diet plan is basically determine estimated BMR/TDEE for my target weight and just stick to that so I get used to that amount of food. I calculated it using 3 different TDEE modifiers so I could adjust my target based on my activity levels. I'm 5'6" currently 65% lean body mass, 98 kg. My target is 65 kg and assuming about 80% Lean Body Mass. Rounding down to account for under reporting, I'm looking at 1500 for sedentary, 1700 for more active days, and 1900 for high intensity days (swimming laps or weight training). I actually have been sedentary due to a back injury which has limited my mobility and have kept to 1500 calories. I still eat ice cream and pizza, just not a full serving, and I find I don't really need one. When I get to 75 kg, my usual plateau point, I plan to focus more on strength training and body recomp. If you want to eat more calories, then your body needs to need them.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Disappointed isn't the right word for it, for me. I am female, 65, 5' 6" and "lightly active" (averaging about 3 miles of walking a day -more outdoor walking in the warm months, less in the cold ones) - 1500-1600 daily is the maintenance sweet spot for 155# according to a year or so of data collection that includes weighing all good that's not actual liquid. Edited to add - when I can maintain a lifting program I get a calorie bump but not a significant one, and I cannot always maintain a regular lifting program. I wish for more wiggle room but it is what it is.
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    karinf wrote: »

Seriously that's the first calculator that has actually given me a TDEE number that makes sense. Most of them put me up around 2,700 to maintain. I'm currently eating 1800-2000 and maintaining (I'm actually not even at maintenance yet). At 2,700 I'd be in a full on bulk. And most of those calculators I have to put in sedentary when that is far from the truth. I workout hard 6-7 days a week, and walk a ton on top of that. I'll admit I am NOT a super accurate logger, I use cups and ounces at times and grams when I can. So there is some error in my diary. But certainly not 800 cals a day type errors. So yea this calculator is going straight to my bookmarks. Thanks!

• 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Disappointed and horrified at first but now that I know it's doable, I feel better about it. I am not willing to exert myself exercising beyond fast walking. Not willing to walk more than 5 miles a day. So, I pay for that with low calories.

I have thought about ramping up my exercise while losing, just to be done faster but decided it would be better and easier for me mentally and physically to just do what I am willing to do forever while losing.
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options

Yeah totally! I've gotten over it now that I have an activity tracker I feel way better about understanding my TDEE! So far as I can tell it's giving me close numbers to what I already knew, it just keeps me In check a bit. I still don't fully trust it to eat to full expectations however, reverse dieting now.

I do like to exercise a lot, cardio is my therapist
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    karinf wrote: »

Seriously that's the first calculator that has actually given me a TDEE number that makes sense. Most of them put me up around 2,700 to maintain. I'm currently eating 1800-2000 and maintaining (I'm actually not even at maintenance yet). At 2,700 I'd be in a full on bulk. And most of those calculators I have to put in sedentary when that is far from the truth. I workout hard 6-7 days a week, and walk a ton on top of that. I'll admit I am NOT a super accurate logger, I use cups and ounces at times and grams when I can. So there is some error in my diary. But certainly not 800 cals a day type errors. So yea this calculator is going straight to my bookmarks. Thanks!

It's odd because that calculator gives me the same numbers.

It's still pretty vague though, there's never an option for 'lightly active during the day and exercise 6/7 days a week'. It goes straight from exercising moderately 4/5 days a week to very active/strenuous exercise 6/7 days a week... so I guess I'm somewhere in the middle and it's the same number I get everywhere else (2200-2300).
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options