Eating before bed = weight GAIN

Options
13»

Replies

• Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    There is a little truth to it, but it's almost certainly overstated. Basically, your body continually has needs for the macro-nutrients. During the day it may need more calories for instance, and at night it might need fewer, but then maybe more protein depending on what you did that day. If you eat a lot more calories at night than your body needs it will tend to store those, but when you average it out over an entire day or a week, we're talking about very small amounts of weight gain...like ounces. But as a general rule of thumb, you should eat more when you're more active, and less when you're less active. That sounds crazy-obvious to me, but this ain't rocket surgery. lol
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Hadabetter wrote: »
    There is a little truth to it, but it's almost certainly overstated. Basically, your body continually has needs for the macro-nutrients. During the day it may need more calories for instance, and at night it might need fewer, but then maybe more protein depending on what you did that day. If you eat a lot more calories at night than your body needs it will tend to store those, but when you average it out over an entire day or a week, we're talking about very small amounts of weight gain...like ounces. But as a general rule of thumb, you should eat more when you're more active, and less when you're less active. That sounds crazy-obvious to me, but this ain't rocket surgery. lol

There is no net fat storage while in a caloric deficit, regardless of when you eat. The body constantly ebbs and flows between anabolism and catabolism, but it's a continuous, ongoing loop. There's no "midnight reset" or 24-hour cycle in which the body stops at some set hour, tallies calories and decides whether or not to store fat. If you eat more in the evening and less in the morning, the net effect is the exact same. Meal timing is irrelevant.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,220 Member
    Options
    So I don't quite understand the goals here . Are you supposed to eat less then the goal? If so why is it a goal ?

Eat your goal, that has your deficit built in.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,220 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Mavrick_RN wrote: »
    Saddam Hussein was still alive and Twitter was just being born. A lot has changed in 10 years.

Stop living in the past.

Sort of an odd response.

Nothing to do with living in the past. Simply asking if it was true.

Editing because I clearly can't forum before coffee.

The post was a joke because you referenced dated weight loss advice.

Tell your mom to stop watching Oprah reruns. Eating before bed doesn't hinder weight loss.

Ok.

I guess the "stop living in the past" part sounded a little harsh to me. Didn't sound jokey.

But it's alright.

How does something typed sound like anything? This is the issue so many, myself included, have issues on online forums. It seems the tendency is to take things typed in the worst possible way rather than always giving the benefit of the doubt. I found the post in question humorous and tongue in cheek. I can see how someone could take it as sort of harsh, but maybe we would be all much less frustrated and annoyed in online forums if we assumed the best.
  • ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I've heard this time and time again.....it's a simple rule I live by though, I don't eat anything within a 3 hour window of my bedtime.....if I'm going to bed at midnight....I won't eat anything after 9 p.m.....back in the day, that was ROUGH, but only because that was my VICE....that bag of potato chips in front of the television set......it's all about self-control ;) Now on ocassion I do have a protein shake before bed.....but I have found I do really sleep better when I go to bed in a complete "fasted" state.....

My high school science teacher told us the body kinda shuts down when you fall asleep......I never got the urge to research it on my own, but he basically said if you eat before bed, that stuff kinda just settles there.....ever wake up in the morning and have extremely bad breathe? That's what had me believing it......
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    ahoier wrote: »
    I've heard this time and time again.....it's a simple rule I live by though, I don't eat anything within a 3 hour window of my bedtime.....if I'm going to bed at midnight....I won't eat anything after 9 p.m.....back in the day, that was ROUGH, but only because that was my VICE....that bag of potato chips in front of the television set......it's all about self-control ;) Now on ocassion I do have a protein shake before bed.....but I have found I do really sleep better when I go to bed in a complete "fasted" state.....

My high school science teacher told us the body kinda shuts down when you fall asleep......I never got the urge to research it on my own, but he basically said if you eat before bed, that stuff kinda just settles there.....ever wake up in the morning and have extremely bad breathe? That's what had me believing it......

That's an old wives' tale that refuses to die. Your metabolism works 24 hours a day. If your metabolism shuts down, you're dead - and waking up dead isn't a good thing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Relying on information from sources who lack true understanding of how physiology works isn't wise. But it does make for great advertising and endorsement of products to sell.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnvilHead
    edited March 2016
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Relying on information from sources who lack true understanding of how physiology works isn't wise. But it does make for great advertising and endorsement of products to sell.

...or sources who intentionally misrepresent how physiology works in order to sell their products.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »

...or sources who intentionally misrepresent how physiology works in order to sell their products.
    That too.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    To understand the logic behind the "don't eat after X PM" idea, you need to understand where it comes from. It comes from observations that an 'average' overweight person eats a fair number of calories in evening snacking, and if you stopped snacking in the evenings but kept everything else the same, you would be eating fewer total calories.

If you eat the same total calories (e.g. by calorie counting and setting goals) then it doesn't matter one whit when in the day you eat them. If stopping eating earlier helps you eat fewer total calories, then it's a useful trick for you.

In all cases, the weight loss is from the calorie deficit, this is one trick that may help some people create a deficit without counting calories. Of course if you do count calories, you can create the deficit with whatever eating pattern you prefer.
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    So I don't quite understand the goals here . Are you supposed to eat less then the goal? If so why is it a goal ?

When you were setting up your account, you set up goals designed to lose, gain or maintain weight http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided That calorie amount, if your intent is to lose, is what you should eat daily to lose and keep that good old metabolic engine purring along! If you go back to that same area within MFP after you've reached your weight goal, you can change to a maintenance model. You'll have to amend things here and there for your personal engine, but this is a good approach.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

This got lots of replies. Am I the only one who took it as sarcasm?