Indian Vegetarian Recipes

Options

Replies

• AnarchistKitchen
    AnarchistKitchen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have 3 vegan Indian dishes that I love. One is actually an Indian fusion dish/appetizer & one is like samosa in a bowl.

VEGAN POTATO KOFTA BALLS BUTTER CHICK’N SAUCE - https://richbitchcooking.wordpress.com/2016/01/18/vegan-potato-kofta-balls-butter-chickn-sauce/
    ycbn9zl6zmmk.jpg

VEGAN BAKED SAMOSA FLAUTAS – INDIAN FUSION TAQUITOS - https://richbitchcooking.wordpress.com/2016/01/01/vegan-baked-samosa-flautas-indian-fusion-taquitos/
    fwybp8jzk715.jpg

VEGAN INDIAN MASHED POTATOES & CURRY GRAVY (PALEO) - https://richbitchcooking.wordpress.com/2016/07/16/vegan-indian-mashed-potatoes-curry-gravy-paleo/
    vopkw2czu11c.jpg

• Shalini0072016
    Shalini0072016 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Idli Stir Fry

Ingredients

Steam cooked idlis- 4 to 6(cut into cubes)
    Cooking oil- 2 tbsps.
    Salt-To taste
    Chilli powder- 1 tsp.
    Maggi masala-1 tsp(optional).

Preparation

Heat a frying pan with oil, add the salt & chilli powder. Add the pieces of idlis into this, stir and toss well. A simple & easy to make 2 minute breakfast or dinner. Who said, only maggi can be done in 2 minutes.

Love & Care
    Shalu
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Idli upma

Ingredients

Idlis- 4 to 6(crumbled)
    Onion- 1 cup(diced)
    Green chillies- 5(finely chopped)
    Cooking oil- 2 to 3 tbsps
    Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
    Black gram seeds- 1 tsp(skinless).
    Salt- To taste.
    Peanuts(dry roasted)- 1 handful
    Coriander- 1/4 bunch(finely chopped).
    Curry leaves-1 strand

Preparation

Heat a frying pan with oil. Pop the mustard seeds and black gram seeds. Fry in the onions & chillies until soft. Now add the crumbled idlis and salt, mix & stir it well. Finely add the peanuts and coriander. Serve it hot with your favorite chutneys or dips.

Love & Care
    Shalu
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Soy Kofta Curry(My own idea)

Ingredients

Kofta balls

Soy- 1 to 2 cups(soaked, strained & ground).
    Onions- 1 cup(finely chopped)
    Green chillies-2(finely chopped)
    Coriander-1/4 bunch(finely chopped).
    Salt-To taste
    Chilli powder-1/2 tsp
    Turmeric-1/2 tsp
    Garam Masala- 1/2 tsp
    Corn flour- 4 tbsps
    Bread crumps- for coating the balls before frying.
    Cooking oil- for deep frying.

Gravy

Onions- 2 cups(ground)
    Tomato puree- 3 cups
    Cashew- 10 to 15(soaked & ground)
    Fresh cream- 1/2 cup.
    Milk-1/2 cup.
    Giner,gaqrlic paste- 1 tsp
    Salt- To taste
    Chilli Powder- 1 tsp
    Turmeric-1/2 tsp.
    Garam Masala- 1/2 tsp.
    Kasuri methi-1/2 tsp(crushed)
    Coriander-1/4 bunch(finely chopped).
    Clarified butter(Ghee)- 2 to 3 tbsps.
    Cinnamon stick-1/2 inch
    Cloves-4

Preparation

Kofta Balls

Take a bowl. Add the ground paste of soy, onions,chillies, spices, coriander leaves. mix well together. Heat the oil for deep frying. Mean while, make this mix into small balls. Take another small bowl, add the corn flour & water, make it into a batter with thin consistency. Now, put the ball into the batter, roll it in the bread crumbs. Deep fry the balls in the same manner and put them on a plate with the kitchen towel to absorb the excess oil. Keep these aside.

Gravy

Heat a heavy bottom based pan with ghee. Fry in the cinnamon sticks & cloves. Now, add the onion paste to it and fry it until soft & tender, add ginger garlic paste as well. Now add the tomato puree and cook it for 5 mins. Now add the cashew paste, cream, milk and some water according to the consistency you need to have in your gravy. Add all the spices into it and mix well. Let the gravy boil until well cooked. Now add all the kofta balls into it and boil it for another 2 mins and do not mix it. Once done, transfer it to a serving bowl & garnish it with a dollop of cream & coriander

Love
    Shalu
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Indian food has got to be the most fun due to its complexity. I have a hard time finding some spices that are in some recipes ... Or perhaps they have different English names than the original. Does anyone know really good sources of info and or spices perhaps via Internet?
  • Dhara549
    Dhara549 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    Options

Indian vegetarian food is so delicious. Now they are telling us that ingredients like garlic, turmeric and coconut are good for us too. What's not to like?
  • BridgetHarrington
    BridgetHarrington Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love this thread! I'm not Indian but I love Indian food!
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    klove808 wrote: »
    Indian food has got to be the most fun due to its complexity. I have a hard time finding some spices that are in some recipes ... Or perhaps they have different English names than the original. Does anyone know really good sources of info and or spices perhaps via Internet?

You could try Penzeys.com I love Penzeys spices
  • LUHAN27
    LUHAN27 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have 3 vegan Indian dishes that I love. One is actually an Indian fusion dish/appetizer & one is like samosa in a bowl.

VEGAN POTATO KOFTA BALLS BUTTER CHICK’N SAUCE - https://richbitchcooking.wordpress.com/2016/01/18/vegan-potato-kofta-balls-butter-chickn-sauce/
    ycbn9zl6zmmk.jpg

VEGAN BAKED SAMOSA FLAUTAS – INDIAN FUSION TAQUITOS - https://richbitchcooking.wordpress.com/2016/01/01/vegan-baked-samosa-flautas-indian-fusion-taquitos/
    fwybp8jzk715.jpg

VEGAN INDIAN MASHED POTATOES & CURRY GRAVY (PALEO) - https://richbitchcooking.wordpress.com/2016/07/16/vegan-indian-mashed-potatoes-curry-gravy-paleo/
    vopkw2czu11c.jpg

Those look amazing :open_mouth: !

I love Vegan Tikka Masala! It's very good! :)

Also thank you for this thread! I love Indian food!
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    ^ those look simple and amazing

Pinkylee77 Thank u. Penzeys has some interesting blends. Curry powders and oh those peppers, love trying new peppers! Gotten to where I have to add a little in everything now, even my breakfast yogurt lol, ancho is so versatile been experimenting.
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone

I think, most of them are skipping the cooking, as there are not able to find curry leaves. Let me tell you all one thing. It is not really necessary to use curry leaves. It's optional. So, if you can't find them. It's alright. You can cook without them. Curry leaves are mainly used in South Indian cooking( Specially Tamil Nadu). The thing is, we get it for free, when we buy vegetables.

So. A simple thing. If you people can find. Dry, powdered curry powered in Indian Stores. You can use them as well. Here in India, children don't eat curry leaves, so we mix it in the form of powder. So, they eat it up, not knowing about the curry leaves.

So. Just start cooking my dear sweetheart friends.

Meanwhile. I hope. Everyone is able to understand my English. I am not that good in English. Forgive me for my mistakes.

Happy healthy eating....

Love
    Shalu <3

This is going to be a very silly question... I'm just looking at Indian recipes as a possibility for my experiment in a plant based diet (read vegan). The Indian curry powder is different than the McCormick's "Curry Powder" that I can get at my grocer, correct?

Thank you @Shalini0072016 for this thread. I'm definitely going to try a few of your recipes.

You may have posted it already, but if not, homemade Naan?
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Hi there. That's really interesting.
    Bombay Rava- Semolina
    Refined oil- Sunflower Oil/ Palm Oil.

I exactly don't know, how does Olive oil tastes. It's way too costly here in India, as they are imported. So, we mostly used Sunflower oil. You can also use Rice Bran oil.

Love
    Shalu <3

Olive oil has a pretty strong flavor. I wouldn't use it in these recipes.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

This is going to be a very silly question... I'm just looking at Indian recipes as a possibility for my experiment in a plant based diet (read vegan). The Indian curry powder is different than the McCormick's "Curry Powder" that I can get at my grocer, correct?

Thank you @Shalini0072016 for this thread. I'm definitely going to try a few of your recipes.

You may have posted it already, but if not, homemade Naan?
    [/quote]

Not a sill question but it is very different. The grocery store powder is a combination of spices such as cumin, coriander and turmeric. Curry leaves are just that a leaf from a curry plant. It is hard for me to find but I did find some on Amazon.com.
    I do cook Indian food as I love it. I also make Korean food too. Well seasoned foods such as Indian and Korean provide me with the flavor I crave and I eat less because I am so satisfied.
  • GothamVeggie
    GothamVeggie Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    This was an amazing thread to read & made me very hungry. I'm a vegetarian & love Indian food. I hope our Indian chef's health is better. I'm a little worried (& would also love some more recipes).
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Hey people. After a real long time. I am back on this app. I have been trying with different apps. Unfortunately, I am caught up with my work. Hence, I have been unable to share the wonderful recipes. As I am back now. I am planning to update few interesting recipes. Stay Tuned. Sorry, for making you people to wait for long.
    Love
    Shalu
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    This was an amazing thread to read & made me very hungry. I'm a vegetarian & love Indian food. I hope our Indian chef's health is better. I'm a little worried (& would also love some more recipes).

I am sorry. I have been caught up with other things. I will make it up to you and add a few more interesting and excellent healthy diet food recipes.

• Shalini0072016
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @Pinkylee77 The Indian Curry Powder/Spice powder has more into it. There are many variations available. It depends on which kind of recipe you will be adding the spice powder. If you can specify what kind of recipe it is and what is base in it. Maybe I will be able to provide you an insight on it.
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Oh, how awesome that this thread is still here! Welcome back, Shalu!

I just made a big pot of Indian vegan stew last night, too. I substituted some ingredients that are common here in the US.

Dappalam

- Cook two cups of pigeon peas (toor dal) and put aside.

- In a large pot of water, partially cook lots of vegetables. I used butternut squash, carrots, quartered baby eggplants, a few serrano chillies for heat (you can skip these), and sweet potato.

- Add the pigeon peas, the delicate vegetables like green beans and quartered tomatoes, three tablespoons of tamarind paste (important), and one tablespoon of turmeric. This recipe calls for a tablespoon of jaggery, which is optional. I skipped the jaggery. If you have it will add calories but also a lot of taste, so I recommend it!

- Simmer until everything is at the consistency you like. Add a slurry if it's too thin for your taste.

- in a separate little pan, heat up your desired amount of oil on medium heat - I prefer grapeseed oil or canola oil for Indian food. Since I make large pots of this stew, about 8 quarts, I put in plenty of oil because it will end up being the only fat for about 16 servings. Olive oil will work but the flavor of olive oil doesn't really complement Indian cooking, imho. I use evoo for almost everything else, but not for Indian food.

- When the oil is hot, I add 1.5 tsp black mustard seeds. These are just the seeds - not the condiment. When the mustard seeds pop, I add whole cumin seeds (same amount as mustard), a dash of hing and fenugreek. As soon as its hot (do not burn the cumin! Burned cumin ruins everything!) add the whole oil mixture to the pot of stew.

- Salt to taste.

In my bowl, I put some chopped black kale and a bit of chopped cilantro. I then spooned this hot stew over it. The great thing about this stew is that the lentils and the sweet potatoes and butternut squash provide you with the starch, so no rice necessary.

• PeachesNcreamgal
    PeachesNcreamgal Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    This is a ridiculous request considering your vegan but can you please post the recipe for egg curry. I love egg curry and failed twice at it. In fact i just had it for dinner right now and my stomach hurts lol. Just the curry I mean I know how to boil eggs lol duh! Thanks in advance!!