Indian Vegetarian Recipes

Options

Replies

• Shalini0072016
    Shalini0072016 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Peanut Nougat Bar.( High in calories, Rich in nutrients)

Ingredients

Roasted peanuts- 100 g
    Pure jaggery- 250 g
    Dessicated coconut (optional)- 1 cup
    Water- 4 cups

Preparation

Take a heavy bottom pan. Add 4 cups of water with 250 g of jaggery and let it to caramalize, the consistency is, a string should form from caramelized jaggery. Please do not use substitutes. You will not get the authentic taste. Meanwhile, dry roast the peanuts, take the skin off & split them up. Now add the peanuts to the caramelized jaggery, when it reaches the right consistency & mix well. Grease a tray & pour the mixture into the try. Cut them into desired shapes & cool it down. You can roll them into balls at moderate heat of the mixture.

You can follow the same recipe with sesame seeds. They taste even more divine.

Sesame seeds are high in calcium & it generates body heat. So, you can try it, when it's snowing :wink:

Happy healthy eating...

Love
    Shalu
    <3
  • beadgalsarita
    beadgalsarita Posts: 47 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    A white sauce for whole wheat pasta. I use wheat flour, instead of plain flour for making the sauce. But, I don't get the right taste :(@Pinkylee77

Do you mean something like this: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/fettuccine-alfredo-recipe2.html

That's typically called "Alfredo sauce". It's a mixture of butter, heavy cream, and cheese. It's very hard to get a taste just like that, but with lower calories.

To make things a bit healthier, I use a roux when I make my white sauce.

On medium, melt butter and then add minced garlic. I cook until the garlic is fragrant, I'll mix in an equal part flour (1 part butter to 1 part flour) to make a paste. Stir and cook the paste slightly. Now slowly mix in milk. I use skimmed milk, as that's what we drink and is lower calorie, but you can use other levels of fat. You'll want to pour in a small amount of milk and then whisk to make sure the milk fully incorporates and the paste is smooth again. Then add more milk, mix until smooth, and do this process until you've added all the milk you wish to add. I don't measure often, so I cannot tell you what the ratio of milk to butter/flour you need to get a thick sauce. Just keep your eye on things and stop adding milk when it's a bit thinner than you want. Heat the sauce until it is very warm, but not boiling, then add your shredded cheese. Mix until the cheese melts thoroughly and fully incorporates into the sauce. Add any additional seasoning, i.e. ground pepper and/or parsley, then stir and serve.

If the sauce is too thick, add milk until it reaches your desired thickness.

You can use this sauce on pasta and in gratins.

For reference, I usually make a white sauce using 2-4T of butter, and that makes enough sauce for our meal with some leftover for future meals.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time giving amounts because foods I have always made I never measure. I add until it looks, smells and tastes right. But I add a bit of butter, some half milk half cream and several hands fulls of Romano or Parmesan cheese, white pepper to taste. Salt the pasta water heavy too. If it is too thick add some pasta water. I also cook the pasta in the sauce for a minute or so the pasta picks up the flavor better. I can make a different pasta sauce for every day of the week and don't measure for one of them. I am Italian so it was how I was taught.
  • Pinkylee77
    Options
    I also hope to make the corn dosas this week
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Thank you very much @beadgalsarita. @Pinkylee77

But I make it Indian Style( may be). I can't say it a white sauce though. I am good at measurements though. It is hard to find cheese in here, as I live in the outskirts. They are way too costly as well.

Wheat White sauce ( Indian Style)

Ingredients(No Cheese)

Clarified butter- 4 tsps.
    Whole wheat flour- 1/4 cup
    Skimmed Milk(4% fat)- 300 ml
    Salt- To taste
    White pepper- 1&1/2 taps
    Oregano- 1 tsp

Preparation

Heat a pan with clarified butter. Add the flour to it & stir fry it for 2 to 3 mins on low flame. Start adding the milk slowly, mixing it without any lumps. Add in all the milk until a creamy consistency. Add salt, pepper & oregano, mix it well together & serve it hot with whole wheat pasta. You can add cheese if you want.

I think, this is completely low cal white sauce. It doesn't give the authentic taste. But, still it tastes good for me.

Happy eating...

Love
    Shalu <3

• beadgalsarita
    beadgalsarita Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    ahh, so just a plan bechamel sauce. It might sound weird, but you might try adding a bit of grated nutmeg to the sauce. That adds a nice dimension of flavor that really makes a good sauce.
  • Pinkylee77
    Options
    If you make your own Paneer, before it is pressed it is similar to ricotta cheese. That would also taste good in your white sauce.
    Nutmeg is a good idea in white sauce and also with spinach.
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Thank you @Pinkylee77
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Pander Tikka(Starter)

Ingredients

Clarified butter- 4 tbsp
    Paneer- 1 to 2 cups( cubed, inch long & thick)
    Salt- To taste
    Turmeric- 1/2 tsp
    Chilli powder- 1 tsp
    Garam masala- 1 tsp
    Corn flour- 2 tbsp
    6 inch long picks

Preparation

Take a bowl. Add clarified butter, paneer, corn flour and all the spices. Toss it together. Let it sit for 30 mins. Now, sqeer the paneer into the picks. Grill them on a pan or in microwave for 10 mins on all the sides.

Happy eating...

Love
    Shalu <3
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Rasagulla

Ingredients

Plain flour- 2 tbsp
    Sugar- 2 cups
    Water- 4 cups
    Lime juice- 1 whole lime
    Milk- 2 lt

Preparation

To make gullas

Take a big pan. Heat the milk. Once it is warm enough. Pour in the lime juice. Let the milk curdle well. It starts forming into paneer. Turn off the flame. Strain off the whey water into another container. Take a bowl, transfer the paneer into it, add the plain flour to it & mix them well. Make small balls and place them on a plate.

To make Ra's(Sugar syrup)

Take another pan. Add sugar & water, let it caramelize well. A string should form from the caramelized sugar. Once you reach that consistency. Turn off the flame. Add the paneer balls into the sugar syrup.

Let it sit for 1hour. Freeze it for another 1 hour. Then serve it cold as a dessert.

You can garnish it with fresh rose petals. It will give you a gulkand taste as well

Happy eating...

Love
    Shalu <3
  • ashudada2001
    ashudada2001 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Ur wonderful cook. I love to cook too and invent new ways make food healthy. Thanx for all the tips.
  • Iamsimpleguy
    Iamsimpleguy Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Hello @Shalini0072016 Great recipes....
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Thank you @ashudada2001 :)
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Semolina Pongal

Ingredients

Clarified butter- 4 tbsp
    Black pepper corn- 1 tsp
    Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
    Curry leaves- 10
    Split green gram(skinless)- 1 cup
    Semolina- 2 cups.
    Water- 4 cups
    Salt- To taste
    Asafetida- 1 pinch

Preparation

Heat a pressure cook with clarified butter. Pop the pepper corns, cumin seeds, fry in the curry leaves. Add washed green gram to it & fry for 2 mins. Add water, salt & asafetida, mix well. Pressure cook for 15 mins. Now, slowly start adding in the semolina, mix slowly. Cook it for 2 mins. The consistency should medium not thick & hard. Serve it hot...

It tastes divine.

Yum....Heaven :smiley:

Love
    Shalu <3
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Weight loss drink( Indian Ayurveda)

Cinnamon powder- 1 tsp
    Clove powder- 1 tsp
    Black pepper powder- 1 tsp
    Cumin powder- 1 tsp
    Water- 1 glass

Preparation

Boil all the ingredients together. Strain the content & drink the water every morning.

You will start losing weight within 48 days.

Love
    Shalu <3
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Well. It does not. Well. We are used to these kind of spices. Okay you go with 10 gm or 1/2 oz of each spice. Then it should be fine. @crazyravr :)
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    It is Tamizh new year today

Happy Tamizh New Year To All

Traditional Raw Mango pachadi( 6 tastes)

We make this specifically to indicate that Life has all the shades Like the 6 tastes of your palate.

Sweet
    Hot
    Salt
    Bitter
    Sour
    Astringent

Ingredients

Raw Mango- 1( grated)
    Jaggery- 100 GMs( shredded or powdered)
    Salt- 1/4 tsp
    Chilli powder- 1/4 tsp
    Betel nut- 1 small piece
    OR Raw banana- 1 small piece
    Neem flower- 3 to 4
    OR Neem leaves- 3 to 4 tender ones
    Water- 1 to 2 cup.

Preparation

Heat a pan. Add water & jaggery. Let it mix well. Cook it until it starts caramelising. Now, add the raw mango & all the ingredients & mix well. Cook it until the the mango is well cooked. Serve it in a bowl. Granish it with a neem flower.

Hope, you will try & will like it.

I made Vada. Poli & Manga Pachadi. Feasted today. But made sure to burn the calories off.

A good start for a new year. I am really happy.

Love All
    Shaly <3:smiley:
    XOXO
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Dry Ginger Coffee for Cold

Ingredients

Dry Ginger powder- 1 tsp
    Powdered jaggery- 2 tsp
    Water- 1.5 cups

Preparation

Take a pan. Mix water, ginger powder, jaggery. Boil it for 5 to 10 mins. Strain the water. Serve it hot.

Love
    Shalu
  • Iamsimpleguy
    Iamsimpleguy Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    @Shalini0072016 Can you post any protein shakes recipes home made?
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Well, I will update one soon.@upendrasaragadam . I know, everyone has been waiting for my recipes. Unfortunately I happened to faint today. My sincere apologizes to everyone. I will make sure to update ASAP. Good night

Love
    Shalu <3