Indian Vegetarian Recipes

Options

Replies

• Shalini0072016
    Shalini0072016 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    rsenor wrote: »
    ooh wonderful! I love indian food; we keep chana masala as a regular in our rotation. I will have to try these.

So Vegetable Jalfrezi is one I love -is it super terrible for you or incredibly difficult to make?

It is not difficult to make. Do you need the recipe? @rsensor

• zenjen13
    zenjen13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I love Indian food - especially the vegetarian dishes! I made chana masala the other night for dinner, yum!

Maybe you can answer a question for me? I went out for a nice Indian dinner one time and there was what I can only describe as the Indian version of an after dinner mint. It was a mixture of herbs? I could definitely taste fennel but what else was in it and what is it called?
  • pico79
    pico79 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If it was a mixture of different things, it was probably mukhwas. From https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080421071513AAVKyvb: 'It's called Mukhwas, which is an Indian after-meal snack or digestive aid made primarily of fennel seeds, anise seeds, coconut, and sesame seeds. They are sweet in flavor and highly aromatic due to added sugar and the addition of various essential oils, including peppermint oil. The seeds are often also coated in sugar and brightly colored.'

The fennel seeds or saunf are believed to aid in digestion after a meal. The rest are mainly for flavor.
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    zenjen13 wrote: »
    I love Indian food - especially the vegetarian dishes! I made chana masala the other night for dinner, yum!

Maybe you can answer a question for me? I went out for a nice Indian dinner one time and there was what I can only describe as the Indian version of an after dinner mint. It was a mixture of herbs? I could definitely taste fennel but what else was in it and what is it called?

@pico79. Said it right. Mukhwas. It aids to digestion. After a big meal. :smile:
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Hi everyone. Today a simple breakfast.It is kichadi made from rava. Generally kichadi is made from rice or split pigeon peas. But, I love, making it with rava. This one dish, I make it better than my mother :smiley:

Rava Kichadi( Serves 4)

Ingredients

Clarified butter(ghee)- 1 tsp
    Cinnamon stick- 1/2 inch ( 2 sticks)
    Cloves- 4
    Refined oil- 4 tbsp
    Curry leaves- 10
    Garlic- 2 pods finely chopped
    Green chillies- 4 slited
    Onion- 1 cup sliced
    Tomatoes- 1 cup finely chopped
    Cabbage- 1 cup finely chopped
    Carrot- 1 cup finely chopped
    Beans- 1 cup finely chopped
    Peas- 1 handful
    Potato- 1 cup finely chopped
    Turmeric- 1/2 tsp
    Bombay Rava- 2 cups
    Water- 4 cups.
    Salt- To taste
    Coriander/ Parsley- 1/4 bunch finely chopped

Preparation

Heat a large pan with clarified butter & oil. Fry the cinnamon, cloves,curry leaves, garlic, chillies for a min. Now fry the onions until golden brown. Add all the vegetables except tomatoes and fry it for 5 mins. Finally add the tomatoes and fry for another 2 mins. Now pour 4 cups of water with salt & turmeric. Let it boil & the vegetables get cooked. Once cooked, slowly start adding the rava & stir it along, until it is cooked well. Transfer it to a serving bowl & garnish it with coriander.

I have it with curd normally. It is up to you, you can have it in your own way, with chutnies or sauces.

Happy healthy eating...

Note: 1 tsp clarified butter(ghee), is good for heart. If consumed everyday. Dare you. Only 1 tsp.

:smile:
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I wished we had a love button for the wonderful recipes
  • KatyP86
    KatyP86 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Great recipes! Thanks a lot Shalini! :smiley:
  • zenjen13
    zenjen13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    pico79 wrote: »
    If it was a mixture of different things, it was probably mukhwas. From https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080421071513AAVKyvb: 'It's called Mukhwas, which is an Indian after-meal snack or digestive aid made primarily of fennel seeds, anise seeds, coconut, and sesame seeds. They are sweet in flavor and highly aromatic due to added sugar and the addition of various essential oils, including peppermint oil. The seeds are often also coated in sugar and brightly colored.'

The fennel seeds or saunf are believed to aid in digestion after a meal. The rest are mainly for flavor.

Thank-you! That sounds like what we had, it's been on my mind for years! I had no idea how to google it.

Loving the recipes, can't wait to try one. I'll have to pick up some supplies the next time I'm near the city as curry leaves etc are not a staple in our stores.
  • ElizabethAN2017
    ElizabethAN2017 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Thank you for having this thread. I appreciate your recipes :)
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Pinkylee77 wrote: »
    I wished we had a love button for the wonderful recipes
    Thank you for your support. :)<3
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Thank you for having this thread. I appreciate your recipes :)

Your welcome & Thank you for your support :)<3
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    zenjen13 wrote: »
    pico79 wrote: »

Thank-you! That sounds like what we had, it's been on my mind for years! I had no idea how to google it.

Loving the recipes, can't wait to try one. I'll have to pick up some supplies the next time I'm near the city as curry leaves etc are not a staple in our stores.

Curry leaves. Add wonderful flavor to the dishes. It is high in Iron, aids hair growth. Avoids graying of hair. :smile: <3

• Shalini0072016
    Options
    Hi everyone. Thank you all for the love & support. Feeling like. Posting another meal. Here you go.

Pudina( Mint) Rice( Serves 4)

This is my own innovative idea. Hope, you will try it & like it.

Ingredients

Clarified butter (ghee)- 1 tsp
    Refined oil- 4 to 5 tbsp
    Cinnamon-1/2 inch( 2 sticks)
    Cloves-4
    White Rice/ Basmathi Rice-2 cupscups( soaked for 30 mins before cooking)
    Onion paste- 1 cup
    Ginger Garlic paste-1 tsp
    Tomato Paste/ Puree- 2 cups
    Mint- 1/2 bunch. 1/4 bunch(if big)
    Green chillies-4 slited
    Potatoes- 1 cup cubed
    Green peas- 1/2 cup
    Soya chunks- 1 cup( soaked & strained)
    Salt- To taste
    Turmeric- 1/2 tsp
    Chilli powder-1/4 tsp
    Water- 3 & 1/2 cups.

Preparation

Take a 5lts pressure cooker. Heat the ghee & oil, fry the Cinnamon & cloves. Add the onion paste & ginger garlic paste until golden brown, add the tomato paste fry for 2 mins. Mean while, grind the mint & green chillies into a thick paste.Add potatoes, peas, soya chunks & fry for 5 mins. The oil start separating. Now add the mint paste with the spices. Now strain the water from rice & starting frying it for 2 mins and add water to it. Pressure cook it for 12 to 15 mins( exact). Transfer the rice to a serving bowl & granish it with coriander or parsley. For richness, you can add fried cashews ( in moderation)

Happy healthy eating...

Lots of love
    Shalu :smile: <3
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Rava Idli( Serves 2 to 3)

Ingredients

Bombay Rava: 2 cups ( fried)
    Curd: 2 cups(beaten)
    Clarified butter( ghee)- 1tsp
    Salt- To taste
    Oil- 4 tbsp
    Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
    Split chick peas- 2 tsps
    Black gram- 2 tsps
    Curry leaves-10
    Chillies- 5 to 6(finely chopped)
    Coriander/ parsley-1/4 bunch(finely chopped)
    Carrot- 2(grated)
    Cooking soda- 1 tsp
    Green peas- 1 handful

Preparation

Take a large bowl. Pour the curd into it. Heat a frying pan with 1 tsp ghee & fry the rava in it until light gold, transfer it to the bowl. In the same pan, heat the oil, pop the mustard, black gram, split chick peas, the fry the curry leaves & green chillies. Add it to the rava. Now add the coriander, carrot, peas, salt, soda and mix the batter slowly. Add water if needed. The batter should not be too thick or thin, it should be of medium consistency to make idlis. Let the batter sit for 30 mins.

Preparation to make idlis

Take a Idli cooker, add water to the bottom of the vessel, 3 to 4 cups & pour the batter in the molds & let it cook for 10 mins. Your Rava Idli is ready. Serve it with chutney or sauces. Coconut chutney would be best combination.

If you don't have Idli cooker. You can make them in cup cake molds, in microwave. Take a large tray, pour 2 to 3 cups of water. Place the molds on the tray & grease your molds & pour the batter up to 3/4th level, as it would raise. Microwave it for 10 mins @ normal temperature( Don't need to pre heat or set the temperature)

Happy healthy eating....

Love
    Shalu <3:smiley:
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Coconut chutney

Coconut- 1/2 (grated)
    Green Chillies- 3 to 4 ( slited)
    Tamarind- 1 inch piece
    Salt- To taste
    Water- 1 cup
    Oil- 2 tbsp
    Mustard seeds-1 tsp
    Curry leaves- 10

Preparation

Blend the coconut, chillies, tamarind & salt together. Heat a frying pan, add oil & pop the mustard seeds & curry leaves, add this to the chutney. Serve it with hot idlis & dosas.

Happy Healthy Eating....

Love
    Shalu <3
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am suffering from cold. Will update later. Thanks
    Love
    Shalu <3
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options