Wow. That's amazing @Daleann3372
  • Shalini0072016
    Shalini0072016 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I am from Madras as well @Daleann3372
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Hi everyone. Meanwhile I am really. I have not being posting from past few days. Just depressed. I thought of updating you people. I will share few chutneys & how to make pani puris @ home

Love
    Shalu <3
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    South Indian Peanut chutney @Pinkylee77

Ingredients

Roasted peanuts- 1 cup( skinless)
    Green chillies or red chillies- 4 to 5
    Sea salt- To taste.
    Tamarind- 1 inch piece.
    Water- 1 cup

Preparation.

Blend it all together with water & have it with hot idlis & dosas. You can try it with baked nachos too.

Love
    Shalu <3
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    @Shalini0072016 thank you for sharing your wonderful recipes.

@crazyravr you are correct. I also like to use them to dress salads occasionally. I make a traditional tamarind date chutney and a mint chutney pretty much weekly. I like to use them on non-indian food (like rice bowl)s as sauce.

Alot of my recipes came originally from Anupy Singla's Indian For Everyone cookbook. Her stuff is solid and she gives you options on how to make things traditionally or to vary them a bit to make them easier or healthier.

I keep thinking about picking up one of the cookbooks for making Indian food in a crockpot, but I just don't see how I can make the correct adjustments to the spices...Anyone use a crockpot for Indian cooking?
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @crazyravr I'd love to see a post of a recipe if you have one handy. I do my curries old school on the stove. I worry about how spicy stuff will get in the 10 hours I'm at work if I do crockpot. I have little kids...they have crap palates. I blame it on my husband.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the chutney recipe
  • kefullarton27
    kefullarton27 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have bookmarked your recipe posts. Thanks so much, Indian food is one of my favourites!
  • zoemay101
    zoemay101 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    yum yum yum!!!
  • zoemay101
    Options
    i have a pressure cooker, do you ever use one?
  • kefullarton27
    kefullarton27 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just wondered if you have a recipe for Tarka Dal? Many thanks x
  • annelawrence357
    annelawrence357 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am so excited to read your posts! I am learning about Indian foods from many wonderful coworkers at my job and I have been thinking I need a friend to teach me. I found you! I will begin by taking a recipe to Patel Brothers (we have a location near my house) and getting the correct ingredients. I will post here when I complete a recipe. Thank you.
  • zoemay101
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    zoemay101 wrote: »
    i have a pressure cooker, do you ever use one?

Asking Indian person if the they use a pressure cooker is like asking a Chinese whether they eat rice lol :)

so to be more specific, im looking for recipes that use them as pressure cooking is new to me.
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    There are many recipes in which you use pressure cooker. I will share, as many as possible. Meanwhile. Check out the recipes. I have used pressure cooking. @zoemay101
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Tadka Dal @kefullarton27

Ingredients

Whole chick peas(black or normal)- 2 cups( soaked overnight)
    Red chillies- 5 to 7
    Salt- To Taste
    Sesame oil(black) - 5 tbsp
    Mustard seeds- 1 tsp.
    Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
    Water - 4 to 5 cups.

Preparation.

Drain out the soaked chick peas. Pressure cook it with 4 cups of water, for 30 to 45 mins on Sim. Mash the finely cooked chick peas add a cup of water & salt & mix it well. Transfer it to a serving bowl. Take a frying pan & heat the oil, pop the mustard & cummin, finally fry in the red chillies( break it into pieces). Pour this mixture on the dal. Serve it with whole wheat paranthas, parathas, chapathis.

Happy Healthy Eating...

Love
    Shalu <3
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Sure @annelawrence357 . Would love to hear from you soon.

Love
    Shalu <3
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    I am running on a tight schedule. Sorry to my loving friends & well wisher's. Will make sure. To keep you all posted. Thank you all for your love & support. It's weekend. So, I am going to post as many as possible.

Love
    Shalu <3
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Hey everyone

I think, most of them are skipping the cooking, as there are not able to find curry leaves. Let me tell you all one thing. It is not really necessary to use curry leaves. It's optional. So, if you can't find them. It's alright. You can cook without them. Curry leaves are mainly used in South Indian cooking( Specially Tamil Nadu). The thing is, we get it for free, when we buy vegetables.

So. A simple thing. If you people can find. Dry, powdered curry powered in Indian Stores. You can use them as well. Here in India, children don't eat curry leaves, so we mix it in the form of powder. So, they eat it up, not knowing about the curry leaves.

So. Just start cooking my dear sweetheart friends.

Meanwhile. I hope. Everyone is able to understand my English. I am not that good in English. Forgive me for my mistakes.

Happy healthy eating....

Love
    Shalu <3
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Jumping for joy seeing your post!!! LOVE Indian food. Thank you!
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this thread! Shalu, thank you so much! I absolutely love south Indian dishes and the only places here serve more northern/Punjab dishes. Your posting these recipes is a wonderful gift!

Do you have a good recipe for masala dosa (I've got a dosa mix I use, but have not found a good filling recipe yet. I can't wait to recreate one of my all time favorite dishes of masala dosa, sambar, coconut chutney, and idli.

Now I'm in the mood for a Bollywood movie :D