Salt-To Taste
    Chilli powder- 1 tsp
    Turmeric- 1/2 tsp
    Garam masala- 1 tsp
    Kasuri methi( dried fenugreek leaves) - 1 tsp
    Cumin seeds- 2 tsps
    Refined oil- For drizzling

Preparation

Take a large bowl. Mix the flour, palak, coriander, chilli powder, turmeric, salt, garam masala, kasuri methi, cumin seeds and mix it well together. Start adding water slowly and make it a soft dough to make chapathis.

Take a tawa and heat it. Roll the dough into chapathis of 5 to 7 inches. Put the chapatti on the tawa and cook it on both sides. Spray oil on both sides and serve it with a dollop of Greek yoghurt.

Happy healthy eating...

Love
    Shalu <3
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    @crazyravr lol I just assumed she would add some Indian chili powder to it. So I didn't bother mentioning it.

A question for everyone on this thread. What kind of flours do you think I should try to replace white rice or white rice flour? What have you tried yourself?

I went on a delicious dosa binge on Sunday (it was the first time I actually weighed out every single ingredient to find out exactly what the nutritional value was.) Turns out, they're not quite as bad as I thought, but they can definitely be improved nutrition-wise. In particular I'd like to get them filling enough so I can have just one ;)

I was wondering what kind of substitutions I could make to the white rice in dosa batter. Brown rice would be a little better, because it would have some fiber and nutrients. In India there is something called ragi, or finger millet, which is chock full of nutrients and good for replacing white rice in recipes. Yet I have never once been able to find unrefined ragi in the United States, though ragi flour is available in Indian stores.

What else should I try? Quinoa flour? Amaranth flour?

• Shalini0072016
    Shalini0072016 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    You can try navrathan dosa, sweet corn dosa, green gram dosa, I will post the recipes. On a later note @augustremulous :)
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    These are wonderful recipes. I follow your thread. Thank you!
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Your welcome & Thank you for your love & support @Gamliela
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    my family teases me that I can not make a round Chapathi but I can make pasta in minutes. My chapathi are always misshapen
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    That's alright if you can't roll out round. It took few months to learn in my childhood. My dad makes all the maps in the world with chapathis. Quick tip for you. Take a lid of round shape. Place it on the rolled chapathi and push it down. Remove the excess dough. There you go. A round chapathi for you. @Pinkylee77
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Pinkylee77 wrote: »
    my family teases me that I can not make a round Chapathi but I can make pasta in minutes. My chapathi are always misshapen

Haha that's okay :)
    I'm the same way rolling out pizza doughs and pie crusts etc. anything that needs to be round.
    I figure that it proves the food was hand made at home and that a lot of love went into it :))
  • Pinkylee77
    Options
    That's alright if you can't roll out round. It took few months to learn in my childhood. My dad makes all the maps in the world with chapathis. Quick tip for you. Take a lid of round shape. Place it on the rolled chapathi and push it down. Remove the excess dough. There you go. A round chapathi for you. @Pinkylee77

I love that idea
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    @crazyravr lol I just assumed she would add some Indian chili powder to it. So I didn't bother mentioning it.

A question for everyone on this thread. What kind of flours do you think I should try to replace white rice or white rice flour? What have you tried yourself?

I went on a delicious dosa binge on Sunday (it was the first time I actually weighed out every single ingredient to find out exactly what the nutritional value was.) Turns out, they're not quite as bad as I thought, but they can definitely be improved nutrition-wise. In particular I'd like to get them filling enough so I can have just one ;)

I was wondering what kind of substitutions I could make to the white rice in dosa batter. Brown rice would be a little better, because it would have some fiber and nutrients. In India there is something called ragi, or finger millet, which is chock full of nutrients and good for replacing white rice in recipes. Yet I have never once been able to find unrefined ragi in the United States, though ragi flour is available in Indian stores.

I use a lot of Besan and Atta. I've also been known to use semolina. For rice, I just love white rice. I did find a brown jasmine rice that is ok, but seriously, the calories and nutrition really aren't that differnt. I've tried amaranth and disliked it.
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Summer is killing. I am feeling more weak. My workouts have gone down. Need some motivation.A real quick recipe for my lovely followers :smile:

Sweet corn dosa

Ingredients

Sweet corn - 4 cups ( frozen)
    Salt- To Taste
    Green Chillies- 5 to 7
    Water- 3 cups.
    Fennel seeds- 1 tsp.
    Cumin seeds- 1 tsp.
    Curry leaves- 10 to 15 finely chopped
    Coriander- 1/4 bunch finely chopped

Preparation

Blend the sweet corn, salt, chillies, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, water together. Make sure the batter is not too thin or too thick. It should be of medium consistency. Add curry leaves and coriander & mix well

Heat a tawa. Take some batter and pour it on tawa and spread it evenly. Spray some oil & let it cook on both sides. Serve it hot with coconut chutney or mint chutney or peanut chutney.

Happy healthy eating...

Lots of love

Shalu <3
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Wow. 1.1k views. Thanks for all your support & love. Will keep updating new recipes

Lots of love
    Shalu <3
  • beadgalsarita
    beadgalsarita Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Shalu, here is a hummus recipe as you asked:

Soak 4 cups of dried chickpeas in water over night
    Drain, but reserve some of the liquid for later
    In a grinder or blender, pulse chickpeas and three cloves of garlic until roughly chopped
    Add 1/3 up of tahini and 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice
    Add salt to taste, and blend until smooth. Add reserved chickpea water as necessary

Serve flat on a plate. Make a slight indentation in the center, and add a extra virgin olive oil to taste, and sprinkle with chopped parsely and a dusting of sumac.

don't you need to cook the chickpeas? I wasn't aware that soaking alone was enough to make them edible.
  • beadgalsarita
    beadgalsarita Posts: 47 Member
    Options

have you thought about buckwheat flour? It's used to make crepes in France, so I imagine using it in dosas wouldn't be that large of a leap. Not sure if buckwheat is much healthier than rice flour, but you can research!
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options

have you thought about buckwheat flour? It's used to make crepes in France, so I imagine using it in dosas wouldn't be that large of a leap. Not sure if buckwheat is much healthier than rice flour, but you can research!

I have tried buckwheat, its a little too bitter for my taste though. Oat flour is too slimy, but is fine enough. Best of luck, it is fun to experiment.

Such a great thread is this.
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options

don't you need to cook the chickpeas? I wasn't aware that soaking alone was enough to make them edible.

oops. Yes, cook the chickpeas. I forgot to write in that step after the first line. Sorry.

Lesson: don't always believe the internet, people!

• Shalini0072016
    Options
    Thank you @augustremulous
  • Pinkylee77
    Options
    Can you post a simple chutney recipe? I must try your corn dosa when I can get to the city for curry leaves
  • Daleann3372
    Daleann3372 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Bitter guard fry

I am not sure, whether bitter guard is available in US & UK. It is very good for health. Cleanses your stomach & helps in reducing sugar levels for diabetics.

Ingredients

Bitter guard- 4 long ( sliced)
    Onion- 1 cup( finely chopped)
    Tomatoes- 2 cups( finely chopped)
    Tamarind- 1 small lemon size
    Jaggery- small 1 inch piece
    Refined oil- 4 tbsp
    Salt- To taste
    Chilli powder- 1 tsp
    Turmeric- 1/2 tsp
    Water- 1 to 1/2 cups
    Preparation

Heat a frying pan with oil. Fry the onion until golden brown. Meanwhile, soak the tamarind in 1/4 cup of water. Now add the bitter guard & fry for 2 mins. Then add tomatoes, fry for another 5 mins. Squash the tamarind, strain the tamarind water & pour it into the pan, add the spices & jaggery, let it cook for 2 mins. Add the water, the vegetables should be covered. The water should simmer down, the bitter guard should be well cooked & it would have shrinked in size as well. Transfer it to a serving bowl & garnish with coriander. Serve it with curd rice, sambhar rice, chapathi.

Happy healthy eating.....
    Love
    Shalu <3
    My husband is feom Madras so over the years I have learned many Indian recipes. Thank you for sharing more.
  • Daleann3372
    Daleann3372 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. I need a information. Do you people find puris for pani puri in Indian Store? If your not familiar with it. Just Google pani puri and find out through images. I love them like hell. I am most happiest person in the cosmos when I am having it. I make it @ home. As it has been hard for me to find chaat bandhar here in Chennai, India.

Waiting for your replies...

Would love to post the recipe for it as well.

Happy healthy eating...

Lots of love
    Shalu <3

There is a new grocery store here in Mesa Arizona that I can get pani puris in and everything else I need. It is a great place and has a great CHAT corner