Indian Vegetarian Recipes

Options

Replies

• Shalini0072016
    Shalini0072016 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. Well. I think everyone can share there own vegetarian dishes. I want to try western vegetarian dishes. All I know is to make sandwiches. Hope you can share, in your free time.

Love
    Shalu <3
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Here you go
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    @Shalini0072016 I'm afraid dark tamarind is the only kind I ever see here in Indian stores! Most Indians here cook with it.

@amazetome, thanks for the tip about curry leaves! I might buy a plant from them.
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Here you go
    Substitute
    There is no particular substitute for curry leaves. Instead you can use Basil @Pinkylee77
    Jaggery- brown sugar, muscovado sugar, demerara sugar @zenjen13

Love
    Shalu <3
  • beadgalsarita
    beadgalsarita Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you have access, I believe panela/piloncillo is close to jaggery as well. You can find this at most Mexican/Latin American grocery stores, or regular grocery stores if the Latin American population is large enough.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panela
  • zenjen13
    zenjen13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My tamarind is a paste in a block, when you say light coloured you mean the actual fruit? I have had the fruit before in a box but it went off before I could use it. Yes, I substitute Demerara for jaggery when it's called for.
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Pav bhajji(Serves 3)

1 serving- 200 cal

Ingredients

Potatoes- 3 (boiled & mashed)
    Ginger garlic paste
    Onion paste- 1 cup
    Tomato paste/puree- 2 cups
    Green chillies- 4 finely chopped(optional)
    Refined oil -2 to 3 tbsp
    Salt- To taste
    Chilli powder- 1 tsp
    Turmeric- 1 tsp
    Garam masala- 1tsp
    Chat masala- 1 tsp
    Butter- 1 tsp
    Whole wheat Burger buns or bread slices- 1( bun), 4 slices.
    Onion- 1/2 cup finely chopped
    Coriander-1/4 bunch finely chopped
    Lemon juice- 2tsps

Preparation for Bhajji

Heat a frying pan with oil, fry the onion paste, ginger garlic paste until golden. Add the tomato paste & cook it for 5 mins. Now, add the mashed potatoes and green chillies(optional), mix them well, make sure there are no lumps. Add all the spices, a cup of water & mix well.Transfer it to a serving bowl & garnish it with onions & coriander.

Preparation for pav

Heat a frying pan. Melt the butter(low flame. Add, salt, chilli powder, turmeric, gram masala, chat masala. Now slit the buns horizontally and toast them in the butter or toast the 4 slices of bread. Serve it with bhajji.

Happy Healthy eating...

Love
    Shalu <3
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Beetroot fry(Serves 4)

Ingredients

Beetroot - 5 to 6 sliced into triangles
    Coconut- 1 cup grated
    Refined oil-4 tbsp
    Salt to taste
    Chilli powder- 1 tsp
    Turmeric- 1 tsp
    Fennel seeds- 1 tsp
    Water - 2 cups

Preparation

Take a blender. Blend the coconut & fennel seeds with 1 cup water into a thick paste. Heat a frying pan with oil & add the beetroot, salt, chilli powder, turmeric & mix it together well, fry it for 5 mins. Now add the coconut paste, saute it for 5 mins. Add another cup of water & cook it for 30 mins in low flame, stirring it once in 5 to 10 mins.The beetroot would shrink in size. Make sure it doesn't get burnt. Transfer it to serving bowl. Serve it with sambhar rice, curd rice or chapathis.

Happy healthy eating...

Love
    Shalu <3
  • AliceA2013
    AliceA2013 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting

I don't know whether this is an authentic Indian recipe but it is delicious!
    http://www.goodhousekeeping.co.uk/food/recipes/aubergine-chickpea-and-sweet-potato-curry
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Your welcome @AliceA2013
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Tomato Rice( Serves 4)

Ingredients

Refined oil- 4 tbsp
    Tomatoes- 5 finely chopped(deseeded)
    Onion- 2 finely chopped
    Ginger garlic paste- 1 tsp
    Green chillies- 3 finely chopped
    Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
    Black gram- 1 tsp
    Split chick peas- 1 tsp
    Salt- To taste
    Chilli powder- 1 tsp
    Turmeric- 1/2 tsp
    Cooked white/brown rice- 4 cups( piping hot)
    Coriander-1/4 bunch finely chopped
    Curry leaves- 10

Preparation

Heat a frying pan with oil. Pop the mustard, black gram, chick peas. Start frying the onions, ginger garlic paste, green chillies until golden. Now add the tomatoes, spices and mix well. Fry it for around 15 to 20 mins. Keep stirring it. Don't let it get burnt. Once done. Add hot piping cooked rice to it and mix it well. Serve it hot and garnish it with coriander.

Best combination with this rice would be a dollop of Greek yogurt.

Happy healthy eating...

Love
    Shalu <3
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Hi everyone. Most of them have curd rice. By just adding curd to cooked rice. But, we can make it real delicious. Here you go.

Curd rice

Ingredients

Greek yogurt/ yogurt- 250 ml
    Milk- 1 cup(chilled)
    Oil- 2 tbsp
    Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
    Black gram- 1 tsp
    Split chick peas- 1 tsp
    Salt- To taste
    Cooked White rice- 3 to 4 cups( cold)
    Green chillies- 5 finely chopped.
    Ginger- 1 inch (grated)
    Curry leaves- 10.
    Coriander- 1/4 bunch finely chopped.
    Pomegranate- 1 cup.

Preparation

Heat a frying pan with oil. Pop mustard, black gram, chick peas, fry the curry leaves, green chillies and turn off the flame. Transfer the contents to a serving bowl, now add rice, curd, milk, salt,ginger, pomegranate and mix well. Finally garnish it with coriander and serve it with mango pickle ( if you can find).

Happy healthy eating...

Note: The best rice to use for curd rice is. The previous day's. It tastes more delicious.

Love
    Shalu <3
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Hey there. Can anyone share hummus recipe, please? Thanks. Have a nice day. :)

Love
    Shalu <3
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Here's one of my favorite vegan Greek recipes for you! http://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/2011/10/vegetarian-stuffed-grape-leaves/ If you can't find fresh grape leaves or jarred ones at a local store, you can order some on Amazon. Walnuts will also work in a pinch if you can't find pinenuts.
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Shalu, here is a hummus recipe as you asked:

Soak 4 cups of dried chickpeas in water over night
    Drain, but reserve some of the liquid for later
    In a grinder or blender, pulse chickpeas and three cloves of garlic until roughly chopped
    Add 1/3 up of tahini and 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice
    Add salt to taste, and blend until smooth. Add reserved chickpea water as necessary

Serve flat on a plate. Make a slight indentation in the center, and add a extra virgin olive oil to taste, and sprinkle with chopped parsely and a dusting of sumac.
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Thank you very much :)@augustremulous
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    If your eating it from a food court it would be 400 cal. Homemade is 200 cal. @crazyravr
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Hi everyone. Today I am in no good mood. May be, after my singing class. I would feel better. Still want to update a recipe. Really. My mind is totally blank now. May be Gujarati Chapathi. May be I will go for a walk. I may feel better.

Love
    Shalu <3
  • Shalini0072016
    Options
    Got that @crazyravr
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I adore Indian food, but all my recipes are mostly northern Indian. I like a big pot of Rajma on a sunday afternoon. I've also been making a baked version of mathri's lately for snacking.

I'm on the east coast in Delaware and our local farmers market has an immense asian section. I've been able to find pretty much every spice I need. I've also started to create a couple of masala dabbas for my spices (not just for indian food) I was thinking about picking up an idli maker, but I'm not sure how much use we'd get out of it.