Can you guarantee me

Options

Replies

• CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    You don't, I was just checking. You can lose weight no matter what you eat so long as you are in a deficit. I would suggest you weigh and measure everything to know what you are taking in.
  • schneiderman83
    schneiderman83 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I will stay on top of that for sure but also if im walking an hour a day that would mean I probably have 1400-1500 in me right? So then how come the scale still wouldnt move?
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Honestly, no one can guarantee that you will survive the DAY, let alone lose weight!! But the easiest way, the way that is also the easiest to maintain, is to track what you eat and ensure that you are in a calorie deficit. So first you have to know what you are currently eating and then figure out a way to eat less, or exercise more to earn additional calories. Or have MFP do the math for you.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I will stay on top of that for sure but also if im walking an hour a day that would mean I probably have 1400-1500 in me right? So then how come the scale still wouldnt move?

You're eating more than you think by not weighing your food.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Well I do track my calories. I usually eat subs and Burgers without buns. I do drink an occasional diet soda. Im going to cut it all out and eat less. Thanks for the help everyone. I really thought I starved myself or something.

Buns are fine, carbs are fine. I'm guessing you're eating more calories then you think you are. Start weighing all your food and make sure you are exact with your calorie counting if you are doing that, and maintaining a deficit and still not losing then you may want to see a doctor.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    When you say you "track calories" but eat "subs and burgers", where are you getting your calorie count from? Do you weigh everything you put in your mouth on a food scale, weighed in grams? Or do you buy from a shop and guess / eyeball weights?
  • schneiderman83
    Options
    I wont lie... I have no clue how to weigh food or even see how that would help. Say I put some Turkey on a scale... It says 3oz... Ok great so then what? Lol i am surrounded by unhealthy people in my life so I never knew any of the stuff.
  • schneiderman83
    Options
    I take the calories from what the maar packs say and cheese packs. I really just read off the labels
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

You HAVE to go into MPF, fill out the information and see how many calories it suggests you eat. Then you have to measure, weigh and log all your food to see how much you are actually eating. Exercising is not enough to lose weight without making positively sure (through weighing, measuring and logging) that you are eating less than you burn.

Also, when you log your exercise you will see how many calories you are burning. Most people agree that MPF overestimates how many calories you are burning though exercise, so they log just 50-75 percent of the calorie burn MPF gives you for exercise.

You can't lose weight by guesstimating and assuming.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    ok, someone will come along and give you links to some really helpful posts. I cant do that because I am technically challenged................
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I wont lie... I have no clue how to weigh food or even see how that would help. Say I put some Turkey on a scale... It says 3oz... Ok great so then what? Lol i am surrounded by unhealthy people in my life so I never knew any of the stuff.

The issue that people have is that they overestimate their portion sizes and are surprised at how much more they were eating than they realized when they started weighing their food.

Your estimate of 3 oz. of turkey is likely more than the actual 3 oz. of turkey.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options

Because unless you weigh how much you eat you don't really have a clue what your calorie intake actually is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjKPIcI51lU
  • CasperNaegle
    Options
    Sop the pack will tell you 3 oz of turkey is 120 calories.. so bam you have your number and you track it.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Sop the pack will tell you 3 oz of turkey is 120 calories.. so bam you have your number and you track it.

Apart from the fact that he won't know when he's got 3oz or 100g or whatever unless he starts weighing.

• wennim
    wennim Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I take the calories from what the maar packs say and cheese packs. I really just read off the labels

Ok that is a good start but a lot of times the serving size is where it gets tricky. The most accurate is to weigh out the serving based on the weight of the serving listed on the package. I have weighed out a 1 cup serving of cereal that is indicated on a box and had it weigh significantly more than the weight associated listed on the package therefore if I had eaten my 1 cup serving it would have been more than a single serving. Resulting in my unknowingly eating more calories.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Please read the following at the MFP message board Get started
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
    The only person that can guarantee any objective is yourself. You are the only one with the action
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • CasperNaegle
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »

Apart from the fact that he won't know when he's got 3oz or 100g or whatever unless he starts weighing.

Great great video.. I had already told him to weigh his food and was following up on his question about what that meant.
  • schneiderman83
    Options
    Wow that video was a real eye opener. I really never thought about the little things. I do like ranch but now see that I use too much. Also syrup and butter. Just wow. I am going to buy a scale today. Thank you all. You especially casper. Thanks again and sorry for the grammar Haha.
  • schneiderman83
    Options
    Btw if I just throw down a sub from Subway onto the scale would I be able to see how many calories are in it?