21 Day Sugar Detox

Options
Cylie5
Cylie5 Posts: 26 Member
Hi All! Figured I should start posting and makes some more buddies, plus its nice to talk to people in a similar boat than me.

So my hubby and I started the 21DSD, we're currently on day 4. They said by day 4 the sweet addiction/craving should start to subside. I still want a vanilla latte from Starbucks very bad, but I'm not running out to get one.

I did my own sugar ban back in the fall, I stayed away from sugar but I ate fruit occasionally, used Truvia in my coffee, and on the weekends I treated myself to sugar free items. I also held off on soda except for the weekends (that was pretty normal for me anyway, not big on soda). I did for from Halloween til Christmas, and lost about 10(ish) pounds. I was thoroughly happy.

I wanted to do another one after the holidays, my goal was to get back to pre-baby weight. I also wanted to do something a bit more stricter so that's why I decided to try this.

It definitely is restrictive, and there's lots of protein. The sugar cravings, I'm dealing with, trying to stay busy with prepping, housework, taking care of the kid and trying to find some time to get some excercise in.

Couple things I don't care for is one its expensive, but most of the stuff we buy is being stretched out. second is the amount of protein/fats were eating. I got nervous because I don't have a regular excerise routine down (I'm horrible at time management) and my thought was all this protein would turn into fat and I'd end up gaining weight. The weather is starting to get nice little by little so I'm trying to find times where I can go for a walk.

Has anyone ever done this before? Would love to chat with someone who has completed for is doing it to compare notes/tips/suggestions.

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    And on day 22.....
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Cylie5 wrote: »
    Hi All! Figured I should start posting and makes some more buddies, plus its nice to talk to people in a similar boat than me.

So my hubby and I started the 21DSD, we're currently on day 4. They said by day 4 the sweet addiction/craving should start to subside. I still want a vanilla latte from Starbucks very bad, but I'm not running out to get one.

I did my own sugar ban back in the fall, I stayed away from sugar but I ate fruit occasionally, used Truvia in my coffee, and on the weekends I treated myself to sugar free items. I also held off on soda except for the weekends (that was pretty normal for me anyway, not big on soda). I did for from Halloween til Christmas, and lost about 10(ish) pounds. I was thoroughly happy.

I wanted to do another one after the holidays, my goal was to get back to pre-baby weight. I also wanted to do something a bit more stricter so that's why I decided to try this.

It definitely is restrictive, and there's lots of protein. The sugar cravings, I'm dealing with, trying to stay busy with prepping, housework, taking care of the kid and trying to find some time to get some excercise in.

Couple things I don't care for is one its expensive, but most of the stuff we buy is being stretched out. second is the amount of protein/fats were eating. I got nervous because I don't have a regular excerise routine down (I'm horrible at time management) and my thought was all this protein would turn into fat and I'd end up gaining weight. The weather is starting to get nice little by little so I'm trying to find times where I can go for a walk.

Has anyone ever done this before? Would love to chat with someone who has completed for is doing it to compare notes/tips/suggestions.

If you're eating more calories than you need to maintain, you will gain weight, no matter what you're eating. You could, in theory, gain weight eating nothing but celery, if you ate more calories in celery than you needed to maintain. You're not going to gain weight by eating more protein (or anything else) unless you're eating more calories than you need to maintain your current weight. Weight loss is about calories in / calories out. Are you still tracking your calories to make sure you're not eating over the number of calories you'd need for maintenance?
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I was thoroughly happy.

Couple things I don't care for is one its expensive

Firstly, your dog is utterly gorgeous. Look at that little wet nose. They are clearly very well looked after.

Secondly, talking about looking after things let's talk you. I'm afraid I do not understand your logic so help me out. You did something previously which you were thoroughly happy with and got you good results. Why didn't you go back to doing that?

I presume it is because you believe this program will get you better outcomes yet you freely admit it is more restrictive and the cost is high. So, what causes you to believe this and do you believe those reasons are logically correct?

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    And on day 22.....

Yeah this^

I've done the zero added sugar thing too....yet here I am AGAIN. They weren't called "detoxes" back in the day. That's a new marketing approach.

If zero added sugar will be a future lifestyle (as in forever) then good for you. If zero added sugar is just a method to lose weight, then watch out. Have a NEW game plan for maintenance....you'll need one.

None of what you eat turns to fat unless it's too many CALORIES. Too many calories (carbs, fat, or protein) turn into fat. Weight loss is all calories in - calories out. Protein helps you retain more lean muscle, that's a good thing.

Walking is great exercise. If the weather doesn't cooperate (or it's too late a night) look for a "walking workout" on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia

These type of workouts are excuse proof for me - I can walk even when it's snowing.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize sugar was toxic. Why am I not dead yet?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat less sugar, eat less sugar :)
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    There is no need to "detox" from sugar. There is no need to follow restrictive limited time plans or punish yourself for enjoying food. Watch your calories, eat regular food that you like (even sugar), and get exercise.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options

So is the high protein and fats just a byproduct of reducing sugar, or are you eating low carb in general? Sugar alone doesn't amount to a lot of calories for most people, but carbs can.

Restriction or moderation of anything your body doesn't need is really a personal choice, and might help change long term eating habits. Though I personally don't limit any sugars in fruits and other natural forms, I do tend to limit added sugars and especially the combination of the ultra calorie dense sugar and fatty snacks.

I'm also confused on the expense statement... what is more expensive than previously?
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Every day, at least once, the sugar post comes up. Sugar is not bad. Everything is bad if you eat or drink too many calories.
    All things in moderation. Retrain yourself to eat within your calorie budget, while losing and maintaining.
    You have to be able to do this in order to sustain the weight loss. Why not develop the habits from the start?

and you can walk anytime, I live in Minnesota and walk year round, outside.
  • Cylie5
    Options
    Okay lots of replies I wasn't expecting lol, but I appreciate it. So no I don't think sugar is bad in fact I find it odd that no fruit isn't even allowed but alas I picked this one and decided to go for it. I really just picked it to try it, it sounded like a good plan, my hubby was on board so we decided to go for it (in hindsight perhaps a bit impulsive). Also this restricts carbs too (no bread, pasta, etc).

I tend to do better when I set small attainable goals for myself so I'm not setting myself up for failure. I did great on the fast in the fall I so I wanted to challenge myself, I figured it was just 3 weeks that wasn't so bad. I am tracking my calories, and I have actually been coming under my limit, I just got nervous the one day when I was over the goal for protein/fats.

Someone asked about why it was expensive, certain recipes called for certain things, like cauliflower, in the stores around us its pretty expensive, or nuts, coconut oil, etc. But like I said some of it is just the initial cost and we stretch where we can.

As for Day 22, well I planned to eat normal but with easier restrictions like adding fruit, and just staying away from added sugars (much like I did in the fall).

PS Someone commented on my pup thank you :) but don't let his looks deceive you he is quite a jerk, especially now that there's a new addition to our family.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Have you read the book? I'm assuming that you are talking about the 21DSD by Diane Sanfilippo? You need to keep in mind that her first book was Practical Paleo which is practically a bible for people following a Paleo Diet. If you are unfamiliar with the Paleo diet, it focuses on whole foods, preferably organic, dairy free, grain free, legume free, table sugar free, and for the meats its preferable that they eat a traditional diet and not one full of Monsanto corn. A lot of people are able to transition from 21DSD into a Paleo diet rather seamlessly. When she uses the word "detox" it's not in the tradition sense of the word, she doesn't imply that cutting out sugar, both added and natural is going to "cleanse the body", it is more about breaking the hold that sugary and carb loaded foods can have over you. The reason that she restricts fruit is because table sugar (glucose) and fructose in fruit along with High Fructose Corn Syrup are all essentially broken down in the body the same way, and since the goal is preferably to break the addiction, this short 21 day program eliminates them all.

I follow a Paleo diet and while some of the foods can be more pricey, I'm not buying all the junk that I use to and I'm actually eating less, so my grocery budget has stayed exactly the same.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I love my sugar. I don't have bad cravings for candy/other sweet stuff anymore because I eat enough in a day. Enough carbs in my diet work against the candy cravings. That being said, I did eat 6 squares of 70% dark chocolate today...
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Have you read the book? I'm assuming that you are talking about the 21DSD by Diane Sanfilippo? You need to keep in mind that her first book was Practical Paleo which is practically a bible for people following a Paleo Diet. If you are unfamiliar with the Paleo diet, it focuses on whole foods, preferably organic, dairy free, grain free, legume free, table sugar free, and for the meats its preferable that they eat a traditional diet and not one full of Monsanto corn. A lot of people are able to transition from 21DSD into a Paleo diet rather seamlessly. When she uses the word "detox" it's not in the tradition sense of the word, she doesn't imply that cutting out sugar, both added and natural is going to "cleanse the body", it is more about breaking the hold that sugary and carb loaded foods can have over you. The reason that she restricts fruit is because table sugar (glucose) and fructose in fruit along with High Fructose Corn Syrup are all essentially broken down in the body the same way, and since the goal is preferably to break the addiction, this short 21 day program eliminates them all.

I follow a Paleo diet and while some of the foods can be more pricey, I'm not buying all the junk that I use to and I'm actually eating less, so my grocery budget has stayed exactly the same.

Break what addiction?
  • Cylie5
    Options
    Have you read the book? I'm assuming that you are talking about the 21DSD by Diane Sanfilippo? You need to keep in mind that her first book was Practical Paleo which is practically a bible for people following a Paleo Diet.

Yes that's the one, and we got her one book I couldn't find the other but it went into discussion on the diet and philosophy behind it but not in detail because it more of the meal planner book. I did see some mention of paleo. Our intentions aren't to go to paleo but it does make sense to do for those who are going to. Like I said I just wanted to try it as a challenge.

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options

Break what addiction?

The "sugar addiction". That is basically the theme of the book.

• Cylie5
    Options
    I love my sugar. I don't have bad cravings for candy/other sweet stuff anymore because I eat enough in a day. Enough carbs in my diet work against the candy cravings. That being said, I did eat 6 squares of 70% dark chocolate today...

I think I have bad cravings honestly. I crave sugar in the afternoons when I have down time (I've been trying to stay busy) and when I have a particularly savory meal, other times too. I try when I shop to buy healthier options to curb those cravings, one of my goals by doing this 21 day thing is to help curb them.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

Break what addiction?

The "sugar addiction". That is basically the theme of the book.

Does the book have you stop eating all fruits and vegetables?
  • Cylie5
    Options

All fruits except for green apples and green tipped bananas, but you still have a limit on those. Most veggies are good except for corn
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

All fruits except for green apples and green tipped bananas, but you still have a limit on those. Most veggies are good except for corn

So then it's not really breaking a sugar addiction, is it? Those things all have sugar in them.

ETA: Curious - why green tipped bananas but not fully ripened bananas?
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options

I think I have bad cravings honestly. I crave sugar in the afternoons when I have down time (I've been trying to stay busy) and when I have a particularly savory meal, other times too. I try when I shop to buy healthier options to curb those cravings, one of my goals by doing this 21 day thing is to help curb them.
    I wish you luck. I'd likely be binging on day 12. If you try it, and it honestly doesn't work for you, try lowering the quantity, rather than completely eliminating. I crave sugary foods too, I don't see it as being uncommon, but I dislike elimination diets because I find that they are often not sustainable.
    I've done my fair share of eliminating foods in the past, and paid for it when I couldn't handle it or the 'time' was up. I've found by lowering my consumption that I don't have near as many cravings, and I can eat a square of chocolate (or two) and usually cure it. My stomach also makes me regret it now when I have too much. Ugh.
    Also, your dog really is a cute jerk. :lol: