21 Day Sugar Detox

Options

Replies

• ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Have you read the book? I'm assuming that you are talking about the 21DSD by Diane Sanfilippo? You need to keep in mind that her first book was Practical Paleo which is practically a bible for people following a Paleo Diet. If you are unfamiliar with the Paleo diet, it focuses on whole foods, preferably organic, dairy free, grain free, legume free, table sugar free, and for the meats its preferable that they eat a traditional diet and not one full of Monsanto corn. A lot of people are able to transition from 21DSD into a Paleo diet rather seamlessly. When she uses the word "detox" it's not in the tradition sense of the word, she doesn't imply that cutting out sugar, both added and natural is going to "cleanse the body", it is more about breaking the hold that sugary and carb loaded foods can have over you. The reason that she restricts fruit is because table sugar (glucose) and fructose in fruit along with High Fructose Corn Syrup are all essentially broken down in the body the same way, and since the goal is preferably to break the addiction, this short 21 day program eliminates them all.

I follow a Paleo diet and while some of the foods can be more pricey, I'm not buying all the junk that I use to and I'm actually eating less, so my grocery budget has stayed exactly the same.

Break what addiction?

The "sugar addiction". That is basically the theme of the book.

Why put it in scare quotes?

Cylie5 wrote: »
    Does the book have you stop eating all fruits and vegetables?

All fruits except for green apples and green tipped bananas, but you still have a limit on those. Most veggies are good except for corn

All fruits except for green apples and green tipped bananas, but you still have a limit on those. Most veggies are good except for corn

So then it's not really breaking a sugar addiction, is it? Those things all have sugar in them.

ETA: Curious - why green tipped bananas but not fully ripened bananas?

This.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Have you read the book? I'm assuming that you are talking about the 21DSD by Diane Sanfilippo? You need to keep in mind that her first book was Practical Paleo which is practically a bible for people following a Paleo Diet. If you are unfamiliar with the Paleo diet, it focuses on whole foods, preferably organic, dairy free, grain free, legume free, table sugar free, and for the meats its preferable that they eat a traditional diet and not one full of Monsanto corn. A lot of people are able to transition from 21DSD into a Paleo diet rather seamlessly. When she uses the word "detox" it's not in the tradition sense of the word, she doesn't imply that cutting out sugar, both added and natural is going to "cleanse the body", it is more about breaking the hold that sugary and carb loaded foods can have over you. The reason that she restricts fruit is because table sugar (glucose) and fructose in fruit along with High Fructose Corn Syrup are all essentially broken down in the body the same way, and since the goal is preferably to break the addiction, this short 21 day program eliminates them all.

I follow a Paleo diet and while some of the foods can be more pricey, I'm not buying all the junk that I use to and I'm actually eating less, so my grocery budget has stayed exactly the same.

Break what addiction?

The "sugar addiction". That is basically the theme of the book.

Why put it in scare quotes?

So then it's not really breaking a sugar addiction, is it? Those things all have sugar in them.

This.

LOL not scare quotes. Actual quote. The authors words, not mine.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options

Bananas are more starchy when green, as they ripen the starches turn into sugars. I have to assume that's why?
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Kimo159 wrote: »

Bananas are more starchy when green, as they ripen the starches turn into sugars. I have to assume that's why?

Seems legit.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options

Sounds sad. Just my 2 cents.
  • Cylie5
    Cylie5 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Sounds sad. Just my 2 cents.

Yea it is, I was cutting up fruit for the baby for lunch today and wanted to eat a piece so bad lol

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I would like to elaborate on my initial response: I personally think this plan sounds a little backwards. I would pick everything apart to identify the problem - is it weight gain? That would be caused by overeating. Is the overeating caused by giving in to cravings? What can we do about that? I'm always for the least possible effort to achieve wanted results. Cravings usually recede when you don't feed them. I have had success with just not buying those things I used to binge on. Instead, I eat plenty of delicious, normal food. I live in Norway, and we have an abundance of cheap cauliflower here now, but I wouldn't buy it if it were too expensive, I'd eat other vegetables instead. I don't overdo the protein. I buy full fat meat and dairy, that's a cheap way of getting healthy fat and protein, and it tastes great. I generally go for the cheapest version, if several food items look equally tempting. I don't do artificial sweeteners; either the real deal (sugar, honey, maple syrup, fruit), or something savoury. Taste buds adapt, habits can be formed and extinguished, environment can be controlled, attitudes can change. A meal plan and SMART plans have become my greatest tools.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    http://www.burnthefatinnercircle.com/members/Fructose_Alarmism_Silenced_Again.cfm

"The idea that the small amount of fructose in fruit is unhealthy or is going to hold back your fat loss in a hypocaloric diet is ridiculous".
  • Cylie5
    Options
    I would like to elaborate on my initial response: I personally think this plan sounds a little backwards. I would pick everything apart to identify the problem - is it weight gain? That would be caused by overeating. Is the overeating caused by giving in to cravings? What can we do about that? I'm always for the least possible effort to achieve wanted results. Cravings usually recede when you don't feed them. I have had success with just not buying those things I used to binge on. Instead, I eat plenty of delicious, normal food. I live in Norway, and we have an abundance of cheap cauliflower here now, but I wouldn't buy it if it were too expensive, I'd eat other vegetables instead. I don't overdo the protein. I buy full fat meat and dairy, that's a cheap way of getting healthy fat and protein, and it tastes great. I generally go for the cheapest version, if several food items look equally tempting. I don't do artificial sweeteners; either the real deal (sugar, honey, maple syrup, fruit), or something savoury. Taste buds adapt, habits can be formed and extinguished, environment can be controlled, attitudes can change. A meal plan and SMART plans have become my greatest tools.

Well the last time I did a "no sugar" I did allow myself treats I just did sugarless, like sugarless candy, Truvia in my coffee, coke zero, etc. When the 21 days are over (assuming we are successful) I plan to continue that way and work on my cravings and giving in.
  • kommodevaran
    edited March 2016
    Options

Well the last time I did a "no sugar" I did allow myself treats I just did sugarless, like sugarless candy, Truvia in my coffee, coke zero, etc. When the 21 days are over (assuming we are successful) I plan to continue that way and work on my cravings and giving in.

But why can't you work on your cravings right now, if that is the problem? This plan sounds like a detour to me. ETA: This detox isn't even aimed at the cravings? What is it for, then?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @Cylie5 don't feel you need to justify your decision here. If doing this helps to cut down your cravings, then you are doing the right thing for you.
    Just don't go back to how you were eating before, or else you will have to start all over again..
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10305332/when-food-guilt-is-ruining-your-life
  • Cylie5
    Options
    @Cylie5 don't feel you need to justify your decision here. If doing this helps to cut down your cravings, then you are doing the right thing for you.
    Just don't go back to how you were eating before, or else you will have to start all over again..

I don't but thank you for saying that :). The aftermath is what I am concerned about, after the 21 days I wanted to go back kinda go.back to what I was doing in the fall and trying to remove/limit added sugars. However I can have a horrible willpower so I'll definitely need to.focus on that.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

I don't but thank you for saying that :). The aftermath is what I am concerned about, after the 21 days I wanted to go back kinda go.back to what I was doing in the fall and trying to remove/limit added sugars. However I can have a horrible willpower so I'll definitely need to.focus on that.

Just eat the things you love in moderation.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

Just eat the things you love in moderation.

That's the core of it, isn't it. Are we talking about food you love that you "feel" you "shouldn't" eat, or are we talking trigger foods that set off binges? Different issues need different approaches.

I really think this "detox" is spinning of wheels.
  • Cylie5
    Options
    That's the core of it, isn't it. Are we talking about food you love that you "feel" you "shouldn't" eat, or are we talking trigger foods that set off binges? Different issues need different approaches. I really think this "detox" is spinning of wheels.

Well one of things that I wanted to kind of accomplish was to desensitize myself towards sweet things. Not sure if that's the right way of wording it but an example is coffee. I can't drink it unless I have a lot of cream and sugar. My friend and I always joke that we take coffee in our sweet cream. I would typically use artificial sweetners like Equal or Splenda but the chemicals in it I didn't like. When I did my sugar ban in the fall I used Truvia, and when I finished the ban I just tried hard to limit the amount of sugar. I wanted to train myself to not need all of that cream and sugar in my drinks to need them.

With that said I do think Willpower is really important, I can't say I have good willpower, which is also why I wanted to go on a plan like this, I thought perhaps it could help. Im only on day 5 so while Im not confident this is a perfect plan, I don't want to write it off just yet. Part of me still feels like it's just 3 weeks, and pretty easy to complete.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    With coffee, I think it works to just gradually reduce. I never liked sweetened coffee, but I drank it as milk with a bit of coffee in college (well, half and half by the end) and in my 20s just decided it would be more adult to drink it black (and more convenient, since I like milk, not the powdered stuff, and it wasn't always available), so I started putting less and less in, and now I much prefer it black.

I do think taking a break from something you tend to overdo can be useful in getting yourself to think of alternatives (I cut added sugar for a while and enjoyed having cheese or fruit for dessert instead of ice cream, although I have no desire to cut ice cream permanently). I'm not really into these extreme challenged based on the notion that one is addicted to sugar, but of course you have to experiment with what works for you.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options