21 Day Sugar Detox

Options

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Cylie5 wrote: »
    That's the core of it, isn't it. Are we talking about food you love that you "feel" you "shouldn't" eat, or are we talking trigger foods that set off binges? Different issues need different approaches. I really think this "detox" is spinning of wheels.

Well one of things that I wanted to kind of accomplish was to desensitize myself towards sweet things. Not sure if that's the right way of wording it but an example is coffee. I can't drink it unless I have a lot of cream and sugar. My friend and I always joke that we take coffee in our sweet cream. I would typically use artificial sweetners like Equal or Splenda but the chemicals in it I didn't like. When I did my sugar ban in the fall I used Truvia, and when I finished the ban I just tried hard to limit the amount of sugar. I wanted to train myself to not need all of that cream and sugar in my drinks to need them.

With that said I do think Willpower is really important, I can't say I have good willpower, which is also why I wanted to go on a plan like this, I thought perhaps it could help. Im only on day 5 so while Im not confident this is a perfect plan, I don't want to write it off just yet. Part of me still feels like it's just 3 weeks, and pretty easy to complete.

I "needed" a good amount of sugar and lemon in my tea and milk in my coffee (I used to joke about how I had to take away that horrible tea/coffee flavor). A few years ago I was "forced" to drink black coffee (the hostess didn't have any milk that day), and it was okay, and I felt so proud and "grownup". I still had sugar in my tea, though. When I started my weight loss again 2 years ago, I decided to try to drink unsweetened tea as well. That was also manageable. Now I could drink non-calorific drinks between meals!

I think artificial sweeteners just keep us used to the sweet taste. Some sweet stuff occasionally is okay, I will buy myself a latte now and then, and add sugar if it's too strong, and I make cocoa and smoothies and yogurt parfaits and pancakes with jam, but sweet taste on the tongue all the time gives me cravings.

And I don't understand why going through a strict plan like this makes you think you don't have good willpower. This detox thing is very hard. I would even suggest that it is unnecessarily hard.
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    I didn't realize sugar was toxic. Why am I not dead yet?

simplistic approach.
  • selina884
    Options
    I tried it and failed miserably, like a sore loser only after 5 days.

I don't mind the 2sp sugar in my coffee anymore.

People eat to live, I live to eat :s
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    selina884 wrote: »

Well, the good news is that you "failed" at a completely arbitrary and unnecessary thing, so no loss!

I live to eat, too. No shame and no regret. Food is awesome.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I love my sugar. I don't have bad cravings for candy/other sweet stuff anymore because I eat enough in a day. Enough carbs in my diet work against the candy cravings. That being said, I did eat 6 squares of 70% dark chocolate today...

I think I have bad cravings honestly. I crave sugar in the afternoons when I have down time (I've been trying to stay busy) and when I have a particularly savory meal, other times too. I try when I shop to buy healthier options to curb those cravings, one of my goals by doing this 21 day thing is to help curb them.

Best of success @Cylie5 and welcome to MFP forums.

When I went off most all sugars and all forms of grains in Oct 2014 due to longevity concerns I found my physical cravings for all types of carbs just quickly lost their grip on me after the 14 day mark but the mental cravings can still pop up after 18 months of eating <50 grams of carbs daily but that is more rare 1.5 years later.

Now I did try to taper off of sugar and grains during all of Aug-Sep 2014 and was a total failure is the reason I left them cold turkey Oct 2014

Please post if you have similar results and what happens craving wise when you return to sugar say on day 28.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Almost any diet that has you significantly restricting fruits and vegetables outside of specific medical issues is a bad idea.
  • Cylie5
    Cylie5 Posts: 26 Member
    Options

Yea were kinda there now, we talked about modifying it. Though hubby is pushing for a cheeseburger for dinner.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Yea were kinda there now, we talked about modifying it. Though hubby is pushing for a cheeseburger for dinner.

What's wrong with cheeseburgers?
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

What's wrong with cheeseburgers?

Added sugar?
  • Cylie5
    Options
    lol He just doesn't want to cook (but the bun is a carb which is also a no no).
  • selina884
    Options

Well, the good news is that you "failed" at a completely arbitrary and unnecessary thing, so no loss!

I live to eat, too. No shame and no regret. Food is awesome.

Yeah to be honest, I don't care because it's just not sustainable.

How far is one willing to go to eliminate sugar eh?

Hi5 to the last comment!
  • selina884
    Options

Haha did you end up eating the cheeseburger?
  • Cylie5
    Options
    No, I don't really do cheeseburgers, but sadly he broke me and I got a simple chicken wrap.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    ... What's wrong with chicken wraps?
  • Cylie5
    Options
    Well it didn't murder my Radar...however it certainly did upset my stomach, but then again my stomach's been kinda revolting this new diet for a couple days now.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lol He just doesn't want to cook (but the bun is a carb which is also a no no).

I usually (there are exceptions) prefer burgers without buns. It's easy to make one for my SO or sister with a bun and avoid it for myself. (I do usually have other carbs instead.)
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    ThIs diet in my opinion sounds too complicated.One that you will end up breaking the rules. E.g cheeseburgers and wraps
    Someone said already work on eating in moderation instead
    A diet that restricts fruits is strange if you don't have medical issues
    Good luck
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Well it didn't murder my Radar...however it certainly did upset my stomach, but then again my stomach's been kinda revolting this new diet for a couple days now.

Maybe your stomach acting up is a sign the diet is not good for your body. I certainly wouldn't want to eat anything that made my stomach upset for a substantial period of time.
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    When I think of sugar detox I think of eliminating sugar cane specifically from the diet. To do that you need to look at every ingredient of every single thing you eat because sugar cane is addictive and they put it in everything these days! If you do this type of "detox" you will lose those cravings faster; but if you only do it for X amount of days there really isn't much point because you will just go back to eating the way you were before and go back to cravings and gain weight back. Making a lifestyle change is the better choice than any 21 day or 14 day or any number of day detox or cleanse or diet or whatever else they call it.