Who still eats at Chipotle?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've been to Chipotle once...I had to see what all the hubbub was for myself...it was ok, but nothing to write home about. Then again, I live in New Mexico and we have some pretty kick *kitten* local Mexican food on just about every corner of the city...so a franchise chain isn't ever going to hold it's own against that kind of competition.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Eating there today. Barbacoa bowl!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    xSPICYx wrote: »
    Might not believe it, but I have never been to a Chipotle before.

Me neither ;) I don't care for their menu.
  • JmeJinxx
    JmeJinxx Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the hype. I'd rather go to Qdoba and not stand in a ridiculous line, still get similar food, and have it be not loud and crowded by college kids.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    They're more concerned with the non-GMO nonsense than actual food safety. No.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    First, let me say that I generally have a cast-iron stomach, and as a direct descendant of the Cro-Magnon mammoth hunters (I had my DNA traced by 23andMe!), my immune system is booming due to my Type O+ blood. I am not afraid of germs...on the other hand, I am NOT a fan of being sick. Chipotle is one of the few places that you can get a tasty, filling meal without any processed additives. The local store by my office (Hauppauge, NY) has not had any reports of illness, so I'll take my chances.

As part of my Paleo plan, I start with a thick bed of lettuce, then a double shot of the beef barbacoa, next the mild salsa, topped with guacamole. According to the nutrition counts on Chipotle's website, this meal weighs in at between 450 and 550 calories, depending on the person serving you and what they think 4 ounces of meat looks like, or 3.5 ounces of guac. Sometimes I have to prod them, gently, to get more.

So far, since 2016-02-06, 12 lbs. lost...86 to go!
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i go all the time and the line is still out the door.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    I havent been there in a long time either. Cant make the amount of calories fit. I just went to their website, built a burrito, a burrito bowl and a salad and nothing came out lower than 815 calories and the burrito i built was 1200 calories!! Insane!!

i could go to mcdonalds and get a big mac super size fry snd a large coke and get to many calories too. I get a burrito bowl with rice, beans, chicken, 3 salsas, guac, cheese, lettuce, and one crunchy taco shell to crumble on top and its about 450 calories i order a half portion of everything and its still a whole bowl filled off food.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    my immune system is booming due to my Type O+ blood.

What does blood type have to do with the immune system?
    Chipotle is one of the few places that you can get a tasty, filling meal without any processed additives.

I like Chipotle fine, but this is not true, IME. There are a variety of restaurants that I think are just as good around my office.
  • mom2colbyj
    mom2colbyj Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Went once and I was very underwhelmed so I've never gone back. You can get sick from food no matter where you eat so that doesn't scare me from going out to eat.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I've never eaten there so I have nothing against them and I'd hate to see their business go under because they really tried in the beginning to have the freshest and highest quality food. The recent food-related illnesses are unfortunate so they really need to get that under control, but in my opinion, it could happen at any restaurant at any time and with just about any food at the grocery store.

We're at the mercy of the restaurants and food industry to handle food properly and with clean hands and utensils, but there's no way of really knowing that they are all doing that.

To be fair, there was that e. coli outbreak at Taco Bell in 2006, yet they're still around. I don't eat Chipotle but I don't think they're going to suffer too much. A lot of people I know love the chain.
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I've never eaten there so I have nothing against them and I'd hate to see their business go under because they really tried in the beginning to have the freshest and highest quality food. The recent food-related illnesses are unfortunate so they really need to get that under control, but in my opinion, it could happen at any restaurant at any time and with just about any food at the grocery store.

We're at the mercy of the restaurants and food industry to handle food properly and with clean hands and utensils, but there's no way of really knowing that they are all doing that.

To be fair, there was that e. coli outbreak at Taco Bell in 2006, yet they're still around. I don't eat Chipotle but I don't think they're going to suffer too much. A lot of people I know love the chain.

And the huge hepatitis outbreak at ChiChi's in 2003, which isn't still around (but they had already filed for bankruptcy before the outbreak so it wasn't the only problem they had).

There are no Chipotles near me, but I've tried a couple of times to eat at Chipotle when out of town. Unfortunately (fortunately?) the lines were always too long for the time I had available and I had to go somewhere else. Probably even less likely now to go out of my way to eat there.
  • Kitoko_lona
    Kitoko_lona Posts: 4 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    They cleaned out all the kitchens, I still go!
    Especially BC of the vegan options
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    Yep! I go about 1-2 a week, I <3 Chipotle so much!
  • Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    Outbreaks tend to turn me way off to eating out, and I find it's pretty easy to whip up a low calorie homemade Mex meal anyway. If I was on the run, I'd revisit Chipolte, but I prefer Baja Fresh.
  • Wysewoman53
    Wysewoman53 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I live in Oregon which is where many of the Chipotle restaurants were closed. And yes, when they opened back up, had lunch there around Christmas time on our way to celebrate the holiday with family. Didn't even think twice about it. Oh, and the place was packed!
  • Wysewoman53
    Wysewoman53 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    karinf wrote: »
    Chipotle was very loud about being anti-factory farming and released an animated short. They raised the hackles of the largest meat processors in the country. And then suddenly there are all these nasty outbreaks. Hmmmmm....

I don't know but I do love a good conspiracy theory!

Exactly what I thought, too!
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Love love love Chipotle. It's 45 minutes away so don't go often. My rice bowl comes out to 545 calories. I get a meal and a large snack out of it. It's a lot of food without a calorie bomb. My burrito with sour cream and cheese comes out to about 800. I rarely have enough calories for that but when I do, it keeps me full for a long time.

I haven't gotten sick ever. I hope they figure out what the issue is. I will be sad if they close.

I did read that it could be corporate sabotage. Can't imagine that Chipotle is a real threat to the meat processors. I hope and doubt that it is true.

If true it is pretty bad to make people sick on purpose. Someone with a compromised immune system because of chemo or something else could easily die from that virus.

Here's an article about the conspiracy

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2016/02/there-were-always-going-to-be-chipotle-truthers.html
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Just used my free coupons yesterday! I'm in NC and our Chipotles never seemed to have an issue, but I still saw the lines dwindle since their issues. It's sorta sad for them, but also nice not to stand in line 15 minutes plus for a burrito bowl!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    100df wrote: »
    Love love love Chipotle. It's 45 minutes away so don't go often. My rice bowl comes out to 545 calories. I get a meal and a large snack out of it. It's a lot of food without a calorie bomb. My burrito with sour cream and cheese comes out to about 800. I rarely have enough calories for that but when I do, it keeps me full for a long time.

I haven't gotten sick ever. I hope they figure out what the issue is. I will be sad if they close.

I did read that it could be corporate sabotage. Can't imagine that Chipotle is a real threat to the meat processors. I hope and doubt that it is true.

If true it is pretty bad to make people sick on purpose. Someone with a compromised immune system because of chemo or something else could easily die from that virus.

Here's an article about the conspiracy

http://nymag.com/scienceofus/2016/02/there-were-always-going-to-be-chipotle-truthers.html

lol