Options
12346»

Replies

• SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Panda_brat wrote: »
    Panda_brat wrote: »
    When I get bad, it is more of anxiety and panic that hit's me. I think I need a combo of things to help. I am slowly getting things done on step at a time. Is any one else on Zoloft? and how was their reaction to it?

Anxiety and depression often go hand in hand.
    Have you had any counselling for your anxiety? There are many coping skills that you may find helpful to employ while you're in the midst of a panic attack. My anxiety attacks got extreme after a serious car accident last year and I was diagnosed with PTSD. I was taught a number of skills such as the spiral technique, butterfly hug and a few others that help take the edge off when I'm having a rough time. I find them very helpful and I haven't had to take an Ativan in months which I count as a huge win. These skills don't completely solve the issue, but they help.

And yes, it is a combo of things that will help. The trick is being patient enough to find that right combo for you.

I am just starting out. I think it is going to take time to tweak my regiment. I get really bad when I see what i think is a huge pile of things to do, and go into an anxiety/panic attack. Then I start making silly mistakes and feel I am a failure. I will see if the meds help calm down enough that I do not fear spending the time in group therapy and the time away from other items won't effect me. I am just afraid to dive in to the deep end of the pool, and am taking things one step at a time

It seems like you are quite self-aware, and that's a good thing. You have acknowledged that you need to seek help, and you know what pace works for you. Continue to listen to your body and you'll do just fine.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Jacob1020 wrote: »
    Sorry to be blunt the third time @ Panda_brat. you will be Just fine. Sunshine on the otherside my friend :)

Believe it or not saying things like this to a person with clinical depression not only does not help but it makes things worse. The "just think happy thoughts and things will get better" advice just makes a depressed person even more upset and depressed because no matter how hard they try they can't think happy, can't feel happy and can't be happy. It isn't that they want to be sad and depressed. it is not that they are not trying. It is that they just can't. Physically and psychologically it is impossible for them to feel joy because the chemicals in their brain won't allow them to. People like us need more than cheerful messages from well meaning but oblivious people with properly functioning brain chemistry.

I attended a lecture recently on SAD because my depression is much worse in the winter. I found it very educational and received some good references for therapists from the person giving the lecture. Unfortunately not only is there the seasonal factor but also the emotional trauma of having most my husband after several months of illness which all happened between January and April. I have experienced anxiety and depression and PMDD since puberty. No help from doctors and family. They all just told me to exercise and cheer up. I stopped bothering to tell people I was having a problem, even when I wanted to die I kept it to myself because no one ever listened. Telling someone that others have it worse... that is even more depressing.

It is really hard for someone with this illness to function in daily life. Often we are strongly empathic and highly sensitive so every little thing pushes up further past the edge. Every person coming to use to talk about their problems just adds to our load. Learning how to cope is largely self taught unless a person stumbles across others like themselves who allow them in enough to see that they are not alone and unique in the world.

I got very lucky to find a few people in my life who would actually listen and understand that this was a real problem. They allowed me to talk out my issues, they let me know that they believed me and that it was not all in my head. Several of my friends even shared with me that they had at some point gone to a professional for this kind of problem and how much it had helped them. Seeking professional help is nothing to be afraid or ashamed of. And I was lucky enough to find a few people who understood what was going on and helped me to understand what it is to be a highly sensitive empath and how to manage the energy drain of all of the people who use us as their dumping ground for negative emotion.

I agree with everything that you said, @shadowfax_c11 Your post resonated deeply with me.

I also have had severe PMDD since puberty, plus depression and GAD, and like you, I had no one that listened or even cared. I've endured lots of mental and physical abuse in my life time, and have always been the invisible one and still feel that way. Most people think I am a piece of crap and worthless to talk to even though I would never hurt anyone. It feels real to me. Those very few who got to know me stuck around for some reason. Every day is a struggle.