depression

Options

Replies

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    Depression, anxiety, and anger are interrelated and feed into each other. They respond well to talk therapy though some cases benefit from a course of medication to get a client to the point where he/she can benefit from talk therapy. The standard approach to these problems is to use cognitive behavioral techniques; this is likely what your insurance company would pay for since cognitive has been proven to beeffective. Cognitive behavioral therapy is available in a group setting as well as individually (group is usually less expensive than individual).

You'll learn skills for dealing with your depression from a therapist -- something you won't get from a pill.

Therapy is a good step to take, but you're missing the point. While it's a good idea to try non-medication methods, and some of those work for people with mild depression, sometimes that's not enough. Don't discount medication. If you've tried other things and they don't work, there's nothing wrong with take that step to medication. That was the only thing that could bring me fully out of my apathy and help me interact properly with the world again.

@Panda_brat : I'm really glad you are taking the step with your doctor and reaching out. There is NO shame in doing so! If you do need meds, it's ok to have to go through several types to find your correct balance. But when you find it, you'll know! And yes, several meds have side effects that can cause weight gain, mostly increased appetite. Being aware of it helps you identify if it happens to you, and keeping track of your calories will help you keep things on track. As long as you keep with your calorie goal, you should be fine in that regard. It may be a little harder for a period of time, but you can do it. ^_^
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    vingogly wrote: »
    Depression, anxiety, and anger are interrelated and feed into each other. They respond well to talk therapy though some cases benefit from a course of medication to get a client to the point where he/she can benefit from talk therapy. The standard approach to these problems is to use cognitive behavioral techniques; this is likely what your insurance company would pay for since cognitive has been proven to beeffective. Cognitive behavioral therapy is available in a group setting as well as individually (group is usually less expensive than individual).

You'll learn skills for dealing with your depression from a therapist -- something you won't get from a pill.

Therapy is a good step to take, but you're missing the point. While it's a good idea to try non-medication methods, and some of those work for people with mild depression, sometimes that's not enough. Don't discount medication. If you've tried other things and they don't work, there's nothing wrong with take that step to medication. That was the only thing that could bring me fully out of my apathy and help me interact properly with the world again.

@Panda_brat : I'm really glad you are taking the step with your doctor and reaching out. There is NO shame in doing so! If you do need meds, it's ok to have to go through several types to find your correct balance. But when you find it, you'll know! And yes, several meds have side effects that can cause weight gain, mostly increased appetite. Being aware of it helps you identify if it happens to you, and keeping track of your calories will help you keep things on track. As long as you keep with your calorie goal, you should be fine in that regard. It may be a little harder for a period of time, but you can do it. ^_^

Taking things one day at a time. I just want to be prepared. I tend to overdo things sometimes, which is part of problems. I Have been stress eating a little more then normal recently, hopefully the meds will help me get that under control.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    Jacob1020 wrote: »
    Sorry to be blunt again, But I belive you should be happy! I don't care what others here want to tell you at OP. I don't believe in sugar coating my words either, But alot of us in life will go through things just know there is sunshine on the other side and you will make it regardless of what anyone's says or does. :)

"Sorry to be blunt, again - but I'm really not sorry. I'm a passive aggressive jack-hole who doesn't know the first thing about depression. But I'm going to tell you to cheer up and the sun will keep shining yet another day. I don't sugar coat my words, nor do I take the time to educate myself on the difference on feeling "sad" and being "depressed".

Here - I fixed your post for you. Seriously - STOP with your "sorry to be blunt". You're NOT being blunt. You're being inconsiderate and thinking this is something that will just "stop". It doesn't. Every dam day is a fight. You can "believe" that myself or the OP "should be happy" - that's all fun and good. But if you were my "friend" and told me that to my face, you'd walk away with your teeth in a little baggie.

Sorry to be blunt! (no not really).

I <3 you
    Options
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    Sorry to be blunt again, But I belive you should be happy! I don't care what others here want to tell you at OP. I don't believe in sugar coating my words either, But alot of us in life will go through things just know there is sunshine on the other side and you will make it regardless of what anyone's says or does. :)

@Jacob1020 I couldn't understand why my Mom couldn't just be "happy," then she committed suicide during a severe bout of depression. I think you mean well, you just don't know what the hell you're talking about. There is a genetic tendency toward depression and guess which one of the five kids in my family drew the short straw? It's ongoing for me, but I have been relatively free of serious episodes for several years now. I believe exercise and spending quality time outdoors helps me.

I am so sorry for your loss
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »

depcom.282.col_.400px.jpg

When I'm depressed, I force myself to exercise. I know that no matter how little motivation I have to start exercising, I will feel better after doing it.

Sometimes if I need an extra shove I take a shower. For some reason, that helps change my state. After the shower, I'm on auto pilot, get dressed, go exercise. I give myself permission to stop after 10 minutes if I need to (I never do.)

You take a shower to get ready to exercise?

Yes, if I'm depressed and not motivated to exercise I shower both before (to change my state) and afterwards (to clean up.)
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    For me, I was angry a lot, didn't want to spend time with anyone, and felt very useless.
  • Panda_brat
    Options
    For me, I was angry a lot, didn't want to spend time with anyone, and felt very useless.

I hear that.
    Options
    Panda_brat wrote: »
    When I get bad, it is more of anxiety and panic that hit's me. I think I need a combo of things to help. I am slowly getting things done on step at a time. Is any one else on Zoloft? and how was their reaction to it?

Anxiety and depression often go hand in hand.
    Have you had any counselling for your anxiety? There are many coping skills that you may find helpful to employ while you're in the midst of a panic attack. My anxiety attacks got extreme after a serious car accident last year and I was diagnosed with PTSD. I was taught a number of skills such as the spiral technique, butterfly hug and a few others that help take the edge off when I'm having a rough time. I find them very helpful and I haven't had to take an Ativan in months which I count as a huge win. These skills don't completely solve the issue, but they help.

And yes, it is a combo of things that will help. The trick is being patient enough to find that right combo for you.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    When I get bad, it is more of anxiety and panic that hit's me. I think I need a combo of things to help. I am slowly getting things done on step at a time. Is any one else on Zoloft? and how was their reaction to it?

I stopped taking Zoloft after realizing that I was experiencing their listed side effect of difficulty having an orgasm. http://www.rxlist.com/zoloft-side-effects-drug-center.htm

For me it was complete inability to orgasm.

I have no sexual side effects or other unpleasant side effects with Wellbutrin. I mostly need it in the winter due to SAD and often taper off it for Spring - Fall.
  • kshama2001
    Options

Have you had any counselling for your anxiety? There are many coping skills that you may find helpful to employ while you're in the midst of a panic attack. My anxiety attacks got extreme after a serious car accident last year and I was diagnosed with PTSD. I was taught a number of skills such as the spiral technique, butterfly hug and a few others that help take the edge off when I'm having a rough time. I find them very helpful and I haven't had to take an Ativan in months which I count as a huge win. These skills don't completely solve the issue, but they help.

And yes, it is a combo of things that will help. The trick is being patient enough to find that right combo for you.

Yes, while Xanax could help me with anxiety, I prefer using the Cognitive Behavioral techniques I've learned over the years. And exercise. If I'm having an anxiety attack in a car, I'd obviously use CBT, but if I'm having anxiety at home, I can go exercise. When there was a noisy alcoholic living downstairs, I used to wake up with a panic attack, and would take Xanax. She's been gone for almost three years and so have my severe symptoms. Most of my anxiety does have a cause, like the noisy alcoholic, or a killer commute, or a horrible boss, and if I can get these out of my life I don't have the anxiety.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

When I'm depressed, I force myself to exercise. I know that no matter how little motivation I have to start exercising, I will feel better after doing it.

Sometimes if I need an extra shove I take a shower. For some reason, that helps change my state. After the shower, I'm on auto pilot, get dressed, go exercise. I give myself permission to stop after 10 minutes if I need to (I never do.)

Yes, if I'm depressed and not motivated to exercise I shower both before (to change my state) and afterwards (to clean up.)

That's a fair motivator, I'd just worry about getting dry skin.
    Options

Yes, while Xanax could help me with anxiety, I prefer using the Cognitive Behavioral techniques I've learned over the years. And exercise. If I'm having an anxiety attack in a car, I'd obviously use CBT, but if I'm having anxiety at home, I can go exercise. When there was a noisy alcoholic living downstairs, I used to wake up with a panic attack, and would take Xanax. She's been gone for almost three years and so have my severe symptoms. Most of my anxiety does have a cause, like the noisy alcoholic, or a killer commute, or a horrible boss, and if I can get these out of my life I don't have the anxiety.

Agreed. And I should mention that I do still take my Citalopram daily for my depression. It's just the Ativan I've been able to avoid for anxiety attacks, in favour of CBT. Any time I've felt well enough to go off my depression meds, it only take a few months to feel like crap again, so I plan to just stay on it.
  • kshama2001
    Options

That's a fair motivator, I'd just worry about getting dry skin.

I shower even more frequently during tick and gardening season ;)

I don't to a complete body scrub every time I shower, and when I do use mild soap.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be blunt .. But what are you depressed for!?

What an ignorant remark.
  • derick2017
    derick2017 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been on medication for depression on and off since my children were born. The only way I can describe it to someone who doesn't know what clinical depression is, for me it was like looking at the world through a filthy, dirty window. Everything was distorted and colored by the grime. For me, the right medication cleaned the window to where I could see things as they really were. Anti-depressants are not "happy pills" like some people think, but they did provide the ability to see things clearly. I believe in natural aids, exercise, self-care, too, but I also thank God for the medications for when that is the best course. My doctor was great and explained that clinical depression is like other chemical imbalances like diabetes, thyroid, etc. No one would tell a diabetic to just think happy thoughts about their blood sugar levels. Chemical imbalances sometimes need intervention to correct. Depression is not weakness...it takes strength to advocate for your own life and health. God Bless.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Zoloft i did well on. I didn't have any side effects, no weight gain or loss.
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have never gone to a doctor for it but I have struggled with depression and anxiety since I was a little kid. When I was a kid it was hard for me to be motivated and happy and engaged in anything outside of my own little world. I lived in like the imaginary reality I created for myself. My anxiety was so bad I couldn't do anything. I feel like part of my problem was I understood too much for my age. I wasn't a typical kid who just was concerned with kid stuff. I saw everyone's pains and problems and stressed out about it. I worried about everything. I also had a hard time making friends. But it wasn't till I was older I realized how bad my depression and anxiety was. I started pushing myself more. It is still there but I know it is there and I recognize it and deal with it. There are lots of natural, healthy ways of dealing with depression as well. For me, routines help my depression. If I get into good daily routines and stick with them it helps me combat that apathetic feeling where nothing seems to matter. I just keep doing the routine anyways and push through periods of depression. Keeping my stress low also helps me maintain a better level of positiveness. I like to unwind every day with a show and a cup of sleepy time tea before bed. This helps me relax. Relaxing and dealing with stress are good ways to help keep yourself healthy mentally. Also writing a journal can help. I like to write about positive things, helps keep my mind from just going over negative things over and over again like it likes to do.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

@Jacob1020 I couldn't understand why my Mom couldn't just be "happy," then she committed suicide during a severe bout of depression. I think you mean well, you just don't know what the hell you're talking about. There is a genetic tendency toward depression and guess which one of the five kids in my family drew the short straw? It's ongoing for me, but I have been relatively free of serious episodes for several years now. I believe exercise and spending quality time outdoors helps me.

Thanks. It was a long time ago, but Jacob1020 opened a raw wound with his ignorance.
  • Panda_brat
    Options

Thanks. It was a long time ago, but Jacob1020 opened a raw wound with his ignorance.
    I know D-bags (or just ignorant fools) can hit a nerve, But I found skimming over idiotic post easier then dealing with people like him in person. I try (often not successfully) just to ignore B.S. that comes out of some peoples mouth.

• Panda_brat
    Options

I am just starting out. I think it is going to take time to tweak my regiment. I get really bad when I see what i think is a huge pile of things to do, and go into an anxiety/panic attack. Then I start making silly mistakes and feel I am a failure. I will see if the meds help calm down enough that I do not fear spending the time in group therapy and the time away from other items won't effect me. I am just afraid to dive in to the deep end of the pool, and am taking things one step at a time