depression

Options

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    Depression, anxiety, and anger are interrelated and feed into each other. They respond well to talk therapy though some cases benefit from a course of medication to get a client to the point where he/she can benefit from talk therapy. The standard approach to these problems is to use cognitive behavioral techniques; this is likely what your insurance company would pay for since cognitive has been proven to beeffective. Cognitive behavioral therapy is available in a group setting as well as individually (group is usually less expensive than individual).

You'll learn skills for dealing with your depression from a therapist -- something you won't get from a pill.

The downside of having insurance pay for depression treatment is that it goes in your record, and may affect your future insurance coverage. If cost is an issue, you can probably find therapists in your area who charge on a sliding income based scale.

For self help, I recommend "Feeling Good" and the "Feeling Good Handbook" by David Burns. He uses a modified version of cognitive behavioral therapy. Here's his site:

http://feelinggood.com

You can find a therapist in your area if you're in the United States who specializes in treating depression using the therapy finder here:

https://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/

I have never had an issue with this. I am bipolar and have changed insurances quite often (changing jobs/work place changed insurances). I would not pay out of pocket if you don't have to.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    As someone who has bipolar 2 and anxiety it is difficult but finding the right treatment helps.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    one235 wrote: »
    don't listen to.. "what are you depressed about!" "do exercise" "you just need to cheer up" that is NOT the case at all… depression is bad and I've been there… go to the doctor's as soon as possible and make sure you go for counseling also if put on medication.. a counselor is good, just to get out of you what is bothering you, it is all piled up inside you, you need to get it out. Depression is a chemical imbalance in your brain and can be helped with medicine. Go and get help.

Yes. This.

Take care of yourself.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    Jacob1020 wrote: »
    Sorry to be blunt again, But I belive you should be happy! I don't care what others here want to tell you at OP. I don't believe in sugar coating my words either, But alot of us in life will go through things just know there is sunshine on the other side and you will make it regardless of what anyone's says or does. :)

depcom.282.col_.400px.jpg

When I'm depressed, I force myself to exercise. I know that no matter how little motivation I have to start exercising, I will feel better after doing it.

Sometimes if I need an extra shove I take a shower. For some reason, that helps change my state. After the shower, I'm on auto pilot, get dressed, go exercise. I give myself permission to stop after 10 minutes if I need to (I never do.)

Exercise doesn't have to be much if you're really struggling. For a few days my exercise was a very slow, foggy walk around the block. But it did do me some good to get up and go outside.

My doctor suggested a daily schedule of things like taking a walk, calling a friend, showering and dressing, running an errand, and watching a movie I like. The schedule was incredibly helpful. As was the medication, thank goodness.

OP, I really hope you'll go for help. There's no need to stay depressed. My medication had minimal side effects and helped me within days. No shame in taking care of yourself.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be blunt again, But I belive you should be happy! I don't care what others here want to tell you at OP. I don't believe in sugar coating my words either, But alot of us in life will go through things just know there is sunshine on the other side and you will make it regardless of what anyone's says or does. :)

Despite everyone telling you how ignorant you are about what depression is, you've repeatedly posted this in this thread in the same manner. Perhaps having it at this level would help you understand that depression is not merely being sad, but an actual condition, just as beyond a person's control as having a cut or a cold.
    h555F5C81
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    vingogly wrote: »
    Depression, anxiety, and anger are interrelated and feed into each other. They respond well to talk therapy though some cases benefit from a course of medication to get a client to the point where he/she can benefit from talk therapy. The standard approach to these problems is to use cognitive behavioral techniques; this is likely what your insurance company would pay for since cognitive has been proven to beeffective. Cognitive behavioral therapy is available in a group setting as well as individually (group is usually less expensive than individual).

You'll learn skills for dealing with your depression from a therapist -- something you won't get from a pill.

The downside of having insurance pay for depression treatment is that it goes in your record, and may affect your future insurance coverage. If cost is an issue, you can probably find therapists in your area who charge on a sliding income based scale.

For self help, I recommend "Feeling Good" and the "Feeling Good Handbook" by David Burns. He uses a modified version of cognitive behavioral therapy. Here's his site:

http://feelinggood.com

You can find a therapist in your area if you're in the United States who specializes in treating depression using the therapy finder here:

https://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/

I have never had an issue with this. I am bipolar and have changed insurances quite often (changing jobs/work place changed insurances). I would not pay out of pocket if you don't have to.

If you have employer provided healthcare, a lot of employers negotiate rates that cover pre-existing conditions. The insurance companies are generally willing to conceded this because they know that for the worst conditions, you might end up unable to work and eventually have to drop your insurance anyway, ending their obligations to you. Changes in the law mean that now, even buying insurance on the open market, no insurance company could refuse to offer coverage, but the insurance companies could still charge a higher rate for it. This is of course all US centric.
  • Doogbob
    Doogbob Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Panda_brat wrote: »
    I am going to see my DR. today to see if I have depression. I was just wondering how other people realized they had depression. If you do not mind sharing it would be feel like I am not wasting my time, Thanks for your input

Started getting anxiety attacks that were stopping me from living a normal life. This was five years after a suicide in the family. Had cognitive therapy for that, but after a while it just got the better of me. Before all of that I was somewhat disinterested in doing stuff anyway. So the event etc was just a catalyst to arriving at the end point faster. On mild meds for serotonin imbalance. Lead a pretty good, bright and cheery life now.

Don't mind the numb nuts that poo poo depression. I wasn't a believer either for a long time. Seeing someone take their own life can change that. Just ignore the clowns that think they'll get a kick out of taunting, baiting or trolling on this thread.

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    OP, good for you for seeing your doctor! Seriously - taking that step is a big deal.

I suffered from severe post partum depression. I think when I really realized that I needed help was when I realized how difficult it is for a depressed person to GET help. On a "bad day," I'd realize that I couldn't go on like this - I'd start with my insurance plan's website, trying to find a provider, I'd make a phone call, get put on hold or transferred or something, get completely overwhelmed, and give up. It took me a long time and a lot of strength to get through the complex web of insurance, providers, appointments, etc. It sounds so stupid to me, now, but it was a really difficult time. But making that appointment, seeing your doctor, those are really big steps. Be patient, and approach every day by itself - one day at a time.

Not to belittle your experience, I have never, and will never go through partium depression, being a guy. What did it for me, is so far I am getting a B+ in my class, I am down 160+ pounds and now a healthy weight, and am 100 week nicotine free, and yet sometime I go through bad episode of feeling like a failure. Plus I have bad anxiety attacks.

You've lost a lot of weight! They also say when you lose a lot of weight, you'll start to feel all the feelings you were pushing down by over-eating.
    You're definitely not a failure. That's a huge accomplishment.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    rsleighty wrote: »
    OP, the Jackwagon has a point. You WILL be fine. As the wife and mother of people who fight with this particular demon, there IS help available. Whether it is diet, exercise, vitamins, meditation or medication there will be something that can help you. Good for you for going to see your Dr!

Never said their wasn't a light at the end of the tunnel. My Dr. Says my case is not that bad, and is just giving my a low dose of Zoloft to help me relax. I will see how it goes, and if i need group therapy, I will keep an open mind, and make an appointment in a couple of weeks.

This sounds really good. Glad you are under a dr's care.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @Panda_brat good luck. depression is a challenging thing.
    i've had it since i was in grade school and in my 30's now. I worked to find good drs
    i would suggest exercising and getting out to do stuff. it helps a little. not necessarily a cure but it helps
  • dino1147
    dino1147 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    ames105 wrote: »
    I have had it since puberty hit. It has been worse and gotten better my whole life but I've never been 'cured'. I look at it as a condition that needs to be managed, in the same way a person has to manage their diabetes. I've learned:

1) There is nothing to be ashamed about. Asking for help is the best way to get through it.
    2) If the doctor prescribes meds, take them. You may not need them your whole life but they will certainly help get you out of the bad place you are in. Sometimes, during depression, a person keeps doing the same thing over and over and remains depressed. I like to say that the medication can help bounce you out of the rut you are in. Depression can be caused by outlying factors (such as a death) but it is also caused by internal factors (chemical imbalance in your brain).
    3) Exercise, even just walk. Those feel good hormones really help.
    4) Do something for your mind, meditation, yoga, dance, laugh, whatever you enjoy. The mind tends to race with negative thoughts during depression. Find that thing that helps you find the positive (meditation and yoga worked wonders for me).
    5) Eat healthy. I found avoiding caffeine, processed foods, fried foods, etc, seems to help me.
    6) Find a good support system. I think I wore out the kindness of my friends with all the negativity that comes with depression. A good impartial counselor helped me quite a bit.
    7) Sleep. Sleep is hard with those thoughts that don't stop but it is important. The meditation helps me get to sleep too.

You will get through this and feel better. Good luck to you!

Such great advice ^^^^! I take medication daily, but adding the daily exercise and cutting out sugar (get rid of that crash you definitely don't need it) has made such a difference!! Best of luck to you, congrats on recognizing a possible problem and being proactive with your mental health!
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    @Panda_brat good luck. depression is a challenging thing.
    i've had it since i was in grade school and in my 30's now. I worked to find good drs
    i would suggest exercising and getting out to do stuff. it helps a little. not necessarily a cure but it helps

Thank for the advise, but I do exercise regulery (at least an hour a day of cardio, and weights when i can) and I am going back to school. I was just tired have anxiety over school despite getting b+ average grades.
  • Panda_brat
    Options
    IS any on here taking Sertraline /Zoloft? some of the side effect sound scary. warning also says it can change a person's appetite. I do not want to loose control and put weight back on.
  • Panda_brat
    Options
    dino1147 wrote: »
    ames105 wrote: »
    I have had it since puberty hit. It has been worse and gotten better my whole life but I've never been 'cured'. I look at it as a condition that needs to be managed, in the same way a person has to manage their diabetes. I've learned:

1) There is nothing to be ashamed about. Asking for help is the best way to get through it.
    2) If the doctor prescribes meds, take them. You may not need them your whole life but they will certainly help get you out of the bad place you are in. Sometimes, during depression, a person keeps doing the same thing over and over and remains depressed. I like to say that the medication can help bounce you out of the rut you are in. Depression can be caused by outlying factors (such as a death) but it is also caused by internal factors (chemical imbalance in your brain).
    3) Exercise, even just walk. Those feel good hormones really help.
    4) Do something for your mind, meditation, yoga, dance, laugh, whatever you enjoy. The mind tends to race with negative thoughts during depression. Find that thing that helps you find the positive (meditation and yoga worked wonders for me).
    5) Eat healthy. I found avoiding caffeine, processed foods, fried foods, etc, seems to help me.
    6) Find a good support system. I think I wore out the kindness of my friends with all the negativity that comes with depression. A good impartial counselor helped me quite a bit.
    7) Sleep. Sleep is hard with those thoughts that don't stop but it is important. The meditation helps me get to sleep too.

You will get through this and feel better. Good luck to you!

Such great advice ^^^^! I take medication daily, but adding the daily exercise and cutting out sugar (get rid of that crash you definitely don't need it) has made such a difference!! Best of luck to you, congrats on recognizing a possible problem and being proactive with your mental health!

I do not eat added sugar just because I figure it is an easy way to cut calories. I do not want to cut out natural sugars like fruit, or I like to have some carbs, and i always make room for my daily Greek yogurt with fruit on the bottom. That I consider a tasty treat for the day, and it fits into my calorie goals.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    IS any on here taking Sertraline /Zoloft? some of the side effect sound scary. warning also says it can change a person's appetite. I do not want to loose control and put weight back on.

I was on it for a few years. No weight gain (but I'm a recovering anorexic so I'm conscious of everything I put in my mouth)
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

I took Zoloft for 3 years. I had dry mouth and sort of a speedy feeling for about the first month but eventually it evened off.
    It stopped working for me or I'd still be taking it.
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    When I get bad, it is more of anxiety and panic that hit's me. I think I need a combo of things to help. I am slowly getting things done on step at a time. Is any one else on Zoloft? and how was their reaction to it?

I am, I actually specifically went on it due more towards anxiety and negative thought processes. Stressed out, full-time working mother of two compounded on my long history of always feeling socially anxious and inadequate. Zoloft has worked wonders! I have never had any depressive episodes, like others have above. I was anxious all the time, snapping at my kids and husband, etc. I went to my Dr and specifically requested Zoloft for those reasons and she felt it would be a good fit for me.

I can fall asleep easily at night, no negative thoughts swirling in my head. I also started working out and eating better at the same time, all three helped, but I've stayed on the Zoloft. I'm on a pretty low dose (I think 50mg a day) and have never felt the need to increase. I can let go of things easier and have so much more confidence in myself since the Zoloft has really made my negative self-talk disappear.

The first week or two starting on it were tough, but I just told myself to stick with it (my doctor said that the first week or 2 the side effects can be worse and unless unbearable I should give it a month before making a decision to stay on or try another med), I did and now don't have any side effects. I've been on for probably 3 or so years now, sometimes I think about trying to go off of it but then I feel I am in such a good place that maybe I should't mess with it... Hope this helps :smiley:
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Adding - it did not seem to have any affect on my appetite, but I log pretty religiously on here and was conscious of that side effect. I have been able to lose and gain the same as I did before meds.
  • TheIronsMan
    TheIronsMan Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I have been there, it is so hard for someone to understand depression until they have had to live it. I did not understand until I went through it myself, I have been better for almost a month now and it was a real struggle. It is such a circle because as someone already posted, there are things that can help but you need motivation and drive and with the depression you dont have those. It is the vicious circle that seems to never end. Do not be too scared to talk about it, surround yourself with supportive caring friends and never be afraid to ask for help. I felt weak and like I was worth nothing to anyone, my moods were up and down and I would just start crying. But it is Ok, to not be ok and need help
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Sorry to be blunt the third time @ Panda_brat. you will be Just fine. Sunshine on the otherside my friend :)

@Jacob1020 I don't think you're getting the point. Someone with clinical depression CAN'T just 'be happy'. Not won't, CAN'T. It's like....you're in a room with two doors, one labeled Happy and one labeled Depression. The Happy door is locked. You don't have the key. You can't pick the lock. You can't break it down, no matter how hard you kick or hit it. You try and try and can't open the Happy door. You have to leave the room, but the only door you can open is Depression.

Happiness is not a switch. If someone is feeling sad because of something bad happening in their life, telling them to cheer up is still annoying, but helpful. If someone is suffering from clinical depression, telling them to cheer up make it worse because they can't. They can try all kinds of things, but nothing can turn off those feelings of helplessness, worthlessness, or apathy (depending on how that person experiences depression). And because they can't stop those feelings, telling them they should be able to makes those feelings worse.

Someone posted a comic on the first page. Go to that comic's website and read through them. They're sad, but they're also a really good way for someone to get an idea of what kinds of things people with clinical depression go through. Not all of those comics apply to everyone, but each one of those is something someone with clinical depression may have gone through.