Will loosing bread...!

Options
13»

Replies

• soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I eat bread and still loose also following a low carb regimen. I just keep my bread and carb intake to a minimum. Under 50g per day typically. The less bad carbs in your body and the more protein the less your body/mind craves those bad carbs. It also makes you feel fuller longer. But in the end weight loss is all a matter of math "Calories in vs Calories Out" You could eat nothing but snickers all day and still loose weight as long as your within your calorie goal of say 1200 cals.....That being said the choices you make will be apparent the more sugar and fatty foods you intake the more fat deposits and cellulite will show
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    In my opinion, eating "low carb" is a waste of time unless you just enjoy eating this way in general.

Low carb ONLY allows a fast initial weight loss because you lose water weight when your glycogen stores are depleted. When you start eating higher carbs you will gain all of this water weight back.

As stated unless you just enjoy eating this way, forever, i don't think it's helpful. If it involves you cutting out some of your favorite foods like bread, it doesn't sound like it's very sustainable, does it?

Calories in < Calories out, PERIOD. Eat in whatever manner you can maintain long term (while keeping the idea of general health/nutrition in mind).

The first three stanzas written above aren't exactly true. If you go so low in carbs that you enter a ketogenic state your body will convert fat to ketones and burn those rather than blood sugar (because that will be gone). It takes more energy to convert fat to ketones than to burn sugar directly, and your body produces more ketones than it needs. IE, some unused ketones will go out in urine. You will burn fat (and not just lose water weight), and it's not like some gypsy curse where if you burn 30 and have a slice of bread you'll gain it all back overnight...

However, simply "cutting bread" won't be anywhere close enough to enter a ketogenic state. You'll need to hold at less than 25 grams of carbs per day for between 3 & 4 days (2 if you're wild on the cardio), and what carbs you do get will be from salad, cruciferous vegetables, etc. IE. No more sugar, no more pasta, most fruit is out, no more starchy vegetables (potatoes, carrots, corn, etc...) And even after you're in it, you'll need to stay between 30 and 50 grams per day depending on your size.

Quite literally, that is the Atkins diet. It works, and it works realtively quickly if you stick to it (I lost 61 lbs in six months on it and kept it off after coming out for the last two years) but it isn't a whole lot of fun. However, I most certainly did not put back on 61 lbs of water weight when I quit ketosis. I put on two and simply continued with calorie counting and exercise. If you elect to try it, don't try ketosis without talking to your doctor & reading up on how to do it properly.

Her last statement is true. Even in ketosis, it all boils down to a net loss in calories. IE. You need to burn more calories than you take in to lose weight, and that's just physics. The biggest advantage of ketosis for me was appetite suppression which made that quite easy.

Also I want to note that some bodies do not digest carbs well and so they do not function as well as they would on a lower carb diet. I had a medical issue for years regarding my memory and constant fatigue and when I switched to low carb my doctor discovered that my prior high carb intake was the underlining issue to my problem. This obviously wont be the case for everyone but I am glad it was for me
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I refuse to suffer or feel like I have to be miserable to lose weight or be "healthy." (Which is why I never was able to successfully lose weight in the past.) Therefore, I eat bread. And pasta. And whatever. Last night I had chocolate pop-tarts. Both of them, with ice cream. And life is good.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I would be a very sad person without bread. I bake a loaf once a week and I finish it within 24 hours. My bf has one or two slices only bwahahaha!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    In the past, whenever I cut any food or food group out of my diet, I would end up craving it to the point where I would binge. Not worth it.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Eat bread if you want. If you don't, then don't. People who eat bread aren't wrong, and the low carb people aren't wrong either. It's whatever works for you. But if you're going to eat bread, be very careful about your calories, and make sure you have enough room for food that will actually satiate your hunger, because bread will not. And if you can't have a loaf without eating the whole thing, then don't buy a whole loaf. If you find it easier to just avoid it all together, then do that. If you can't live without it, find a way to make it work.

Personally, I question any kind of food that causes this much stress, but that's just me. My meat and vegetables are never an issue. I can have as much of it as I want in the refrigerator at all times, and it's not a problem. And it still tastes pretty good too, without triggering cravings and just making me feel even more hungry than I was before I ate it. And I actually feel better when I'm not eating crap. But again, that's just me. Each to their own.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm apart of a low carb group on Facebook and I'm wondering they told me to dump bread. Because the weight will fall so easily. I love and like bread and I buy a 45 calorie bread from Aldis I like. But is this true? I ate bread the last time I lost and I was just fine. I'm not making gold here it's been 4 weeks I've lost 5lbs post your thoughts

@alexandriareene welcome to MFP forums.

Low Carb means many different things. I do very LCHF for pain management which means I eat <50 grams of carbs daily and medium protein (70-90 grams) daily. Low Carb is considered to be < 150 grams of carbs.

Bread is high in carbs but many people do lose weight eating carbs just fine. Two weeks after I cut out sugar and all forms of grains my cravings for carbs just started to fade fast so my CI of CICO dropped without dieting on my part. After four weeks my pain was well managed and still is 1.5 years later so naturally I stay off sugar and grains for pain manage without Rx meds.

Best of success.

One of several MFP low carb group is: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    But if you're going to eat bread, be very careful about your calories, and make sure you have enough room for food that will actually satiate your hunger, because bread will not.

This may be true for you, but it's not true for everyone.

Bread is very filling for me, personally. Especially if it's a dense bread with a lot of fiber. It's filling for others, too.

People find satiety with different things. That's why different people do better with different macro splits.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    Unless you have a medical condition where you HAVE to cut gluten (and maybe 1% of the human population does), cutting bread is not going to do anything except help you control your calories in. And unless you have a medical condition where you have to watch your blood sugar, cutting carbs isn't necessary either.

Not saying you have to eat carbs. If you like being low-carb, more power to you. But it's not a magic recipe for losing weight. Eating whole grain bread is better for you nutrition-wise, and watching your bread intake will help you keep calories under control, but if you like bread, just find out how to work it into your day. I did, and while I do eat a LOT of carbs, I still lost weight just fine.

Right, while there are reasons to go low carb, it's generally not necessary for weight loss.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    Eating carbs (like bread) makes me hungry. Eating protein & fats makes me full.

So I cut out bread when I want to lose weight, and add it in when I want to gain.

YMMV.

I'm like this with bread made from flour but bread made from sprouted grains like from brands like Ezekial/Food for Life or Alvarado St Bakery do satiate me. Their flax bread only has 50 calories per slice.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    But if you're going to eat bread, be very careful about your calories, and make sure you have enough room for food that will actually satiate your hunger, because bread will not.

This may be true for you, but it's not true for everyone.

Bread is very filling for me, personally. Especially if it's a dense bread with a lot of fiber. It's filling for others, too.

People find satiety with different things. That's why different people do better with different macro splits.

Yeah, for me, protien is the most filling, with carbs a close second. But if I really want a snack that will keep me full for a long time, it needs to have both protien and carbs. Toast with peanut butter is my go-to for that!

OP: if you've been logging for a while, take a look at times you eat and what you eat in that time. Look for a pattern of what times during the day you get hungriest, and which foods you can eat that will keep you full for longer. Make your adjustments based on that and you'll have an easier time finding your pattern.