Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Low carb and vegetables

Options

Replies

• moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    So do you both form your opinions based on extremes? I certainly don't. If I did, I would think all flexible dieters eat nothing but ice cream and sweets. And considering how many members argue against those strawman comments, I would expect that the flexible dieters wouldn't do the same.

I guess the question is, if the majority of the people you know who decide to do low carb are doing it partially in order to avoid eating so many vegetables, is it actually an extreme/outlier? Or are the people posting online about low carb that advocate for eating vegetables the outliers?

Is there any credible data on that? I think we tend to forget that just like the people we see IRL everyday aren't necessarily a good measure of the rest of the population, neither are the people whose posts we see everyday.

Oh, and FTR - the few people I know who tried low carb most definitely did so with the intent of avoiding vegetables (as defined as non-starchy, etc). Which is not surprising since they just plain don't like vegetables and would do that on any diet if at all possible.

Why would they need low carb to do that?
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »
    So do you both form your opinions based on extremes? I certainly don't. If I did, I would think all flexible dieters eat nothing but ice cream and sweets. And considering how many members argue against those strawman comments, I would expect that the flexible dieters wouldn't do the same.

I guess the question is, if the majority of the people you know who decide to do low carb are doing it partially in order to avoid eating so many vegetables, is it actually an extreme/outlier? Or are the people posting online about low carb that advocate for eating vegetables the outliers?

Is there any credible data on that? I think we tend to forget that just like the people we see IRL everyday aren't necessarily a good measure of the rest of the population, neither are the people whose posts we see everyday.

Oh, and FTR - the few people I know who tried low carb most definitely did so with the intent of avoiding vegetables (as defined as non-starchy, etc). Which is not surprising since they just plain don't like vegetables and would do that on any diet if at all possible.

Because at least some people interpret low carb as meaning eat as much meat and cheese as you want and it's "healthy?"
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »

Because at least some people interpret low carb as meaning eat as much meat and cheese as you want and it's "healthy?"

But this meatzza clearly has basil on it. Totally counts, right?

Meatzza+2.JPG
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

That was part of it. Plus, the only other idea of 'diet' that they have/had is eating salads, lean meats and steamed veg. When you think you're going to have to eat all of the foods you hate, but have been nagged to eat for a fair chunk of your life it's not an appealing option.
  • moe0303
    Options

Similar to how some people interpret calorie counting as eating whatever you want and it's "healthy"?

I would say the allure is more for people attracted to the idea that they don't have to give up fatty meats like bacon in the same way that calorie counting advocates are attracted by the allure that they don't have to give up kitkat bars.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options

This was me in my early 20s. I went low carb (<30) for about six months. One of the reasons it appealed to me was because I have a very narrow list of non-starchy veggies that I enjoy. Of course, at the time it was marketed to me as "you can eat all you want as long as you stay under 30g of carbs and you'll lose weight fast." (Stupid, of course, but who doesn't believe at least one stupid thing in their 20s?)
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Now I have to Google a meatzza recipe. That looks delicious. And I even have a basil plant. Freshly picked basil is the best! I'll probably have a salad with low carb dressing on the side.
  • moe0303
    edited March 2016
    Options
    File:Atkins_meal.jpg
    auddii wrote: »

Meatzza+2.JPG

izj6a8744ocz.jpg

A balanced meal according to the Atkins Diet
  • lisawinning4losing
    edited March 2016
    Options
    OK, you all make fun of that, but if someone had a doughy pizza full of white flour and processed meat, which every health expert tells you to avoid or minimize, and chemical laden chips full of hydrogenated oil (trans fat), with no veggies at all, you'd be like "Hey it's cool just as long as it fits into your calories! There's no such thing as junk food!" But now whole meat and cheese are junk food?
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options

Meatzza+2.JPG

Counts as what? Low carb, yep. Or are you saying its low in veggies? Yes, though most low carbers I know would have a piece of that and a salad. Are you suggesting the dishes unhealthy? Why?
  • moe0303
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Now I have to Google a meatzza recipe. That looks delicious. And I even have a basil plant. Freshly picked basil is the best! I'll probably have a salad with low carb dressing on the side.
    You're low carb. Why do you have a garden? Oh, nevermind, it must be bait for the rabbits.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    From my standpoint, and the reason I take part in this particular debate is I feel that some are proliferating a myth that you can't eat a healthy amount of veggies and remain low carb, and that just isn't true.

But I have quite carefully explained that I am not saying that. For me counting vegetables would be counterproductive, but I believe you can have a perfectly healthy diet while low carbing.

What I am reacting to -- and some of this relates to past conversations -- are people pushing the notion that it's not important at all to eat vegetables and that when it comes to carbs the lower the better and the main problem with the US diet is carbs. I do think it's just the flip side of the fat fear and no more helpful.

So your entire argument is based off a few misguided extremist as opposed to the collective group? If so, maybe your views need to change slightly based on the majority...

If for every misguided extremist there were a handful of normal ones telling them to step back and rethink wtf they're talking about, there would be no problems, but that's not how it is. Often the extremists are the only ones in the discussion. That is probably also true for other topics.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    OK, you all make fun of that, but if someone had a doughy pizza full of white flour, which every health expert tells you to avoid or minimize, and chemical laden chips or whatever, with no veggies at all, you'd be like "Hey it's cool just as long as it fits into your calories! There's no such thing as junk food!" But now meat and cheese are junk food?

[citation needed]

Also great straw man.

Also also, no one said meat and cheese are junk food just that some people think that low carb means not eating vegetables is healthy because vegetables = carbs and carbs = bad.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    OK, you all make fun of that, but if someone had a doughy pizza full of white flour and processed meat, A.which every health expert tells you to avoid or minimize, and chemical laden chips or whatever, with no veggies at all, you'd be like B."Hey it's cool just as long as it fits into your calories! There's no such thing as junk food!" But now whole meat and cheese are junk food?

A. Footnote: for particular values of minimize, every, or health "expert".
    B. I'm pretty sure the people who don't believe in junk food being a useful term are many of the people arguing everyone should eat vegetables regularly for health. The calories matter for mass.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Ruatine wrote: »

This was me in my early 20s. I went low carb (<30) for about six months. One of the reasons it appealed to me was because I have a very narrow list of non-starchy veggies that I enjoy. Of course, at the time it was marketed to me as "you can eat all you want as long as you stay under 30g of carbs and you'll lose weight fast." (Stupid, of course, but who doesn't believe at least one stupid thing in their 20s?)

Don't worry, you're in good company. Plenty still believe that now. And these people are most definitely out of their 20s.
  • lisawinning4losing
    Options
    Nope, the garden is for me. And my cats. They like the catnip.
  • lisawinning4losing
    Options
    OK, you all make fun of that, but if someone had a doughy pizza full of white flour and processed meat, which every health expert tells you to avoid or minimize, and chemical laden chips full of hydrogenated oil (trans fat), with no veggies at all, you'd be like "Hey it's cool just as long as it fits into your calories! There's no such thing as junk food!" But now whole meat and cheese are junk food?

Edited.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Meatzza+2.JPG

I don't usually like meat, but this looks like an exception (if I play the ground beef right with my usual additions that make it less "meaty"). Wonder how many calories a slice of that would be. Possibly 500?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Meatzza+2.JPG

I don't usually like meat, but this looks like an exception (if I play the ground beef right with my usual additions that make it less "meaty"). Wonder how many calories a slice of that would be. Possibly 500?
    Doesn't matter, the important thing is to watch the carbs in the basil.
  • jotacusis
    jotacusis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    I eat more fruits (berries/melon/grapefruit) and veggies following LC than I normally did following a SAD.

I do that, too. I replaced the refined carbs with fruit and veggies. :)
This discussion has been closed.