What Other Factors (Besides Nutrition) Help You Succeed?

Options

Replies

• JillyBeans02201
    Options
    I, too, had to resign myself to the fact that there is no quick fix, and I am a busy middle aged woman, so I have ot make this work for my lifestyle. Meeting one-on-one with a trained nutritionist really helped me re-focus. It wasn't information that was totally new to me, but having those frank discussions with a professional really helped me reshape how I look at my own caloric intake. And having accountability to someone every week was helpful for me. Also - very reasonable, moderate changes to my lifestyle and realistic goals have helped. Most recently, having my husband on board has made a huge change to my ability to stay focused in the evenings/weekends. It's SUCH a process. :smile:
  • RaptorMommy
    RaptorMommy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Short term goals!

I'm talking about non-scale victories here. Buying a piece of clothing you LOVE but it's a hair too small...3-4 weeks of hard work will make it fit perfectly! Or improving fitness: now I can do X push-ups in a row, now I can run for X minutes or at X speed.

I find this keeps me going and takes my mind off the number on the scale. It truly becomes a journey, with lots of exciting achievements along the way!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    nitaaaaa wrote: »
    What inevitably trips me up when I am doing well is when I get depressed. This can be for a variety of reasons (or no reason at all). For the longest time I thought if I could only lose weight, I wouldn't be so depressed. Through proper care I learned that it wasn't until I got my depression under control that I could then lose weight. So, monitoring your mental health as well as your physical health is what works for me.

One unexpected thing that also helped was throwing out all my old "skinny" clothes and just buying stuff that fit me, even if I wasn't happy with the weight I was at. The stress every morning of trying to find something you can wear is unnecessary extra stress.

Lastly, my most successful streaks are always when I give up, or mostly give up, alcohol. It's been easier since I moved out of a city and back to the suburbs for a bit. Hopefully, I can keep it up once I move back to a city and have a more active social calendar. Thanks everyone for sharing!

Same. I have noticed in the past that shortly after I finally breakdown and buy myself some nice clothes in a bigger size, I'm able to start turning the ship around again. It has seemed like a weird good luck charm. Your post made me realize that it's all about my mental health.

Also ditto on the alcohol.

• chandraminick
    chandraminick Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    If you are not working, or may be if you are and you can do both, totally immerse yorself in YOURSELF. For me, while I was in between jobs, this meant thinking about health and fitness every moment of the day for three months. I put on my workout clothes first thing in the morning and wore them all day so that I was ready for my daily workouts and my stretching routines. I kept a chalk board calendar and joined a support group here. Logged everything in MFP and exercised multiple times a day with different programs. HIIT was part of it. Eating clean was necessary to avoid temptation. Didn't deviate from my menu since I'm a food addict. Put all the nonsense on the back burned and slowed things down to a pace I could manage.
  • iMuteYou123
    iMuteYou123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My motivation comes from other's hateful comments.
    "You're too fat, you'll need a bra" - 2014; P.S: I'm a guy.
    "You're too skinny, you need to get bigger" - 2015; This was after losing ~60 lbs in about 4-5 months. It was hard, it was unhealthy, but it had to be done.

They hate me for being active, healthy and motivated, and I LOVE that hate.

Also, another big motivating factor is self-care. I despise myself if I don't get off my *kitten* everyday and do something, anything. Gardening, dishes, coding, internships, literally anything. I started eating healthy a few months ago, and it feels awesome. I get to eat tasty food, feel happy about it and actually be productive.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    [quote=They hate me for being active, healthy and motivated, and I LOVE that hate. [/quote]

So. True. As soon as people learn you didn't lose it all using some quick fix, they hate you. I feed off it.

Discipline, self-care, and understanding that just as there is no way to get fat overnight, there's no way to get thin overnight, either helped me get here. Also, I've accepted sugarless Jello as my binging-prevention Lord and Savior.

• grrrgirl
    grrrgirl Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Not calling it a diet.. diet to me is just temporary. I made it a lifestyle change and eat and do excercise I enjoy :) Makes all the difference because now I can say that I eat healthy and take care of my self. NOT diet.
  • jesssiebee1983
    jesssiebee1983 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Ugh. To ignore those who go on about having to do this for the rest of your life. This is a diet and there's nothing magical about it. Eat whatever you want, as long as it's under your calorie goal. When you get to your goal weight, eat at your calorie goal to stay there. Don't get malnourished by living off instant noodles. Exercise if you like it and if you care about your health move for like 30 minutes a day, but it's probably not going to help you lose much weight unless you spend hours in the gym every day. Mystery solved!
  • katkearro
    katkearro Posts: 15 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    1. Exercise
    2. Recording Food
    3. Using a Scale
    4. Being accountable
    5. Not giving up!

69269064.png
  • Carysta
    Carysta Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Realizing this is the key to success and cuts through all of the derp and woo.

Thank you for 'derp and woo' I laughed so hard at this :) Everything you said about calorie deficit is true and I wholeheartedly agree with that, but your finale... thanks. Needed that!

For me, it's been about recognizing that I needed help to get started. I'm in a bariatric weight loss program now (not geared to surgery, just to learning to be better, forever) that the Ontario Bariatric Network provides. I've only been to two sessions so far but I am finding it a hugely positive experience.

Sometimes it's incredibly hard to ask for help, but it's so worth it. My friends and family and MFP friends are so supportive and having support makes it so much easier.

Something else I have found helpful, oddly, is adult colouring books. I find that they keep my hands and mind busy and distracted and I'm less likely to overeat. Have been reaching for my water and a book to help refocus and so far it's been helping! Any distraction that keeps your hands busy, be it knitting or colouring or gaming could help. It's what makes you happy and works for you that isn't food oriented :)
  • adriennevy
    adriennevy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Going to the gym straight from work so I don't have time to sit down and get lazy.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!