So I just got a Dexa Scan done. Not sure what to think...

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    how-i-look-like-standing-vs-sitting_o_1126531.jpg

Everyone feels like this. I went to do push ups and hanging leg raises the day of my competition and still felt like this.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Everyone feels like this. I went to do push ups and hanging leg raises the day of my competition and still felt like this.

It's so true. I am being completely honest when I say that I still have days where I look in the mirror and feel super fat. I have to look at an old before picture to make me snap out of it. Helps me keep going though. I guess there are worse problems to have but honestly, this whole lifestyle change was a lot easier 40lbs ago. I never thought the last bit would be such a mind...(insert expletive).
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »

It's so true. I am being completely honest when I say that I still have days where I look in the mirror and feel super fat. I have to look at an old before picture to make me snap out of it. Helps me keep going though. I guess there are worse problems to have but honestly, this whole lifestyle change was a lot easier 40lbs ago. I never thought the last bit would be such a mind...(insert expletive).

Actually, this is entirely consistent with what I've heard/read. Losing the first 40 is simple...maybe even easy...but the last few pounds are neither.

Personally, if I was in your shoes, I'd try the tips given here (one or two at a time) and if I was still dissatisfied/convinced it was a skin thing, would look into surgical options. Or just accept that you're 98% satisfied.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I have one request: when posting pics, DO NOT post the glute striations.

TIA

But, yeah - nice problem to have.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I have one request: when posting pics, DO NOT post the glute striations.

TIA

But, yeah - nice problem to have.

Some of us bookmarked this specifically for the future glute striations.

#nohomo

#okayfinemaybealittlehomo
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    This thread made me Google glute striations. I am immediately filled with regret.

No offense. Clearly you've worked extremely hard for your body, OP and if that's what you're after then go you! :)
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to the OP's pics. Whatever they may include!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,680 Member
    Options
    @ninerbuff

"Pinch the skin on your forerams, then on your chest, quads then on your abs and see if you feel a difference in thickness."

Did you by chance mean upper arms rather than forearms?
    No I meant forearms because they don't retain much fat. It's much easier to get fat in upper arms than the forearms.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    That video looked like mostly loose skin to me. Especially considering you were sitting down. It's hard to make any comment about the dexa results without current, well lit pictures of you, legs included but dexa is the gold standard so if it's off, it's probably not off by much.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Yeah, I would have gone right to skin elasticity and hydration, too, and then muscle size/shape. It's tough to see in your avi, but I'm not seeing any type of pooch like the one you're describing. Maybe it's just a perception thing.

Naw, just good camera work...

And it's not a pooch I don't guess. There is just this little bit there. Just enough to piss me off, honestly.

I have been making progress since I have been cutting for the last couple months. That turned into a very "light" cut cause well, apparently I suck at cutting... lol. It was easier when it was just losing weight. :)

Have you tried grabbing it, yelling at it, and seeing if it responds to 'dem feelz? >:)

All the time! It doesn't listen. :)

Here is a video..gotta click on it, sorry.

I'm sitting on my couch and tried to get it all in one place :) to show it. If I am standing it's spread and you can barely feel it and all abs are visible, but when I crunch like this, there it is. Under the waist line, there is no fat or loose skin. In fact I have both big veins on both sides for the adonis belt.

th_33EC8815-CD08-4E35-859D-2B0E87A12608.mp4

Dude, everyone's belly looks like that sitting down. Even the highest level bodybuilders. Comparing real life to specifically prepped, posed, lighted and/or photoshopped pictures is not good.This is all in your head. 6% BF is beyond lean, if I were you I'd focus on walking calories up and putting on more mass. Some people just don't have the genetics for abs that pop, ESPECIALLY at your age.

One example I always think of is Phil Davis. This is him weighing in after cutting weight AND water.

Davis-Phil-UFC117-1.jpg?1281134979
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Yeah, I would have gone right to skin elasticity and hydration, too, and then muscle size/shape. It's tough to see in your avi, but I'm not seeing any type of pooch like the one you're describing. Maybe it's just a perception thing.

And it's not a pooch I don't guess. There is just this little bit there. Just enough to piss me off, honestly.

I have been making progress since I have been cutting for the last couple months. That turned into a very "light" cut cause well, apparently I suck at cutting... lol. It was easier when it was just losing weight. :)

Have you tried grabbing it, yelling at it, and seeing if it responds to 'dem feelz? >:)

I'm sitting on my couch and tried to get it all in one place :) to show it. If I am standing it's spread and you can barely feel it and all abs are visible, but when I crunch like this, there it is. Under the waist line, there is no fat or loose skin. In fact I have both big veins on both sides for the adonis belt.

Dude, everyone's belly looks like that sitting down. Even the highest level bodybuilders. Comparing real life to specifically prepped, posed, lighted and/or photoshopped pictures is not good.This is all in your head. 6% BF is beyond lean, if I were you I'd focus on walking calories up and putting on more mass. Some people just don't have the genetics for abs that pop, ESPECIALLY at your age.

One example I always think of is Phil Davis. This is him weighing in after cutting weight AND water.

YOU SHUT YOUR FILTHY WHORISH MOUTH!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    38 is old?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

#ForevertinyabsJof
  • WinoGelato
    Options

#ForevertinyabsJof

This is literally the best thing I've read on MFP in months.

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm just in for glute pics.

Just a minor philosophical question for you that I think is an important question to ask:

Suppose you are 6.4% body fat. Do you think when you get to 5% you will be happy?

I'm not trying to imply anything at all with that question.

But it's an important one to ask. You are by all means shredded.

Just ask yourself if getting leaner is what will make you happier.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

#ForevertinyabsJof

+1 Actually choked a little on my food when I read it.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

#ForevertinyabsJof

+1 Actually choked a little on my food when I read it.

It made me nostalgic for tiny leg avatars, peep cleanses, and dumpster fires (which by the way are great for roasting Peeps).
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I'm sad now :(