So I just got a Dexa Scan done. Not sure what to think...

Options
Hornsby
Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
edited March 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I feel like there had to be something wrong with the machine.

I know it's pointless without pics, but I am not ready for too many pics yet. April 9th is my 3 year anniversary and plan on having plenty of pics then.

I have abs, but they aren't ripped like every where else on my body. I literally have veins everywhere except for this little pooch of fat that is just chilling on my lower 4 abs. I have stridations (sp?) on my butt. Veins in my lower ab area, thighs, calves, arms... But...

image1.jpg
image2.jpg
image3.jpg

6.4%? Come on now... Am I reading this wrong?

Replies

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Oh hey! I'm from Moore! That's all I got out of this post, sorry, lol
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,146 Member
    Options
    You should have kept your personal data, especially your DOB obscure.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Not sure what somebody's going to do with his DOB and bf%.

Not sure what to say, OP. From what I've read DEXA scans are pretty accurate but tend to skew to higher %s due to the inclusion of visceral fat. This is the first you've had done so no comparison is possible?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Maybe that "fat" on your lower abs is skin.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    6.4%? Come on now... Am I reading this wrong?

You're very lean. I'm over here thinking that I'd never even try to get below 10% - 12%. I can't tell you why that doesn't work out. Genetics I'm sure. For me it's the lower back that holds on to the most.

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If you really do have glute striations then you might be actually close to 6 percent BF. Without pictures it's hard to judge. As for your abs ,you may have poor genetics for holding fat there, you may not have a ton of ab musculature which won't make them stick out as much. You're also not super young and skin does lose its elasticity with age. You have to remember that all those pics of people with ab separation you can drive a truck through, generally do things like carb and water depletion to really make the abs pop. If you've ever seen a bodybuilder just a few days after competition their abs can be almost totally obscured from all the water retention of just one cheat day after competing.

Just some thoughts without actually seeing what you look like.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I barely understand my DEXA scans. I can't really comment on yours until I see some pics. You can send them in a PM.
    Jennifer-Lawrence-Wink.gif
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @Hornsby you have been looking quite lean these days...glute striations would indicate that you're pretty damn lean...I'm just trying to hit 10% over here and having a *kitten* of a time...LOL.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    how much was it?
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    When I had my DEXA scan the tech told me that the figure that I should focus on is the Region (%Fat) Total.

On your scan this figure is 6.1%. (You are getting the 6.4 from the Tissue column.)

Also, I'm not sure I understand your incredulity. Isn't 6.4%, let alone 6.1%, actually a pretty darn lean body fat percentage for a man?

Are you incredulous because you expected it to be lower? Or, did you expect it to be higher?

• Hornsby
    Options
    I expected 11%.
  • minizebu
    Options
    I expected 11%.

Well, good for you! Congratulations.

(Unless that was sarcasm, and you really did expect it to be lower. In that case, I'm sorry if you are disappointed. In any case, I'm sure that whatever your body fat percentage is, you probably look pretty darn hot.)

• Hornsby
    Options
    No, I'm serious. Under 10 is a dream for me.
  • minizebu
    Options
    No, I'm serious. Under 10 is a dream for me.

Yay for you! You must have worked very hard to get this result. Bask in the glow of your success. :)

• BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    good for you - I'm still fighting with 20% - having said that, half of that is boobs and I wouldn't be without them!

Nice work - now you have to keep it up!

If the "fat" you're concerned about is in the lower abdo then it is probably a combination of the lack of abdominal musculature low down and some saggy skin - hey we're no spring chickens and that's just life!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I think you look amazing! There I said it!! Nice work!!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not an expert but I'd believe 6-7% for you.

body-fat-percentage-levels.jpg
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I recall Greg O'Gallagher (Kinobody) doing a video of his DEXA scan visit last year and he was at 8%.

He was right around your weight (178 @ 70 in). Here he was before his visit:

11058329_1100343843328529_4521875765614197712_o-300x228.jpg

Judging from your avatar it's quite apparent you're leaner than he was.

Congrats on your accomplishment! Put together an eBook and get paid. :smiley:
  • Hornsby
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Okay....so let's assume I am somewhere around 6.4. Now, knowing that my abs do not "pop" like the examples I see for 6-8 percent. What do I do? How do I get them to pop?

April 9 is my 3 year so I planned on continuing to cut till then, but that was assuming I was around 10-11.

I gotta tag some folks...
    @usmcmp @stevencloser @ndj1979 @senecarr @LolBroScience @vismal @ninerbuff @tincanonastring @SideSteel