So I just got a Dexa Scan done. Not sure what to think...

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Maintenance + lots of gym and hoping the recomp takes you where you want to go? It can't be that much left that's covering your abs.
    I seriously don't know, I can't say I've ever seen anyone with your problem.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Okay....so let's assume I am somewhere around 6.4. Now, knowing that my abs do not "pop" like the examples I see for 6-8 percent. What do I do? How do I get them to pop?

April 9 is my 3 year so I planned on continuing to cut till then, but that was assuming I was around 10-11.

I gotta tag some folks...
    @usmcmp @stevencloser @senecarr @LolBroScience @vismal @ninerbuff @tincanonastring

I was following the thread already. There was already the suggestion some could be loose skin.
    Some could just be limitations of how your abdominal muscles themselves are shaped - I remember people often mention that Jay Culter, for all his Mr Olympia titles, has odd shaped abs.
    It might be levels of hydration and other fluids.

Not necessarily a fan of T-Nation, and the following wouldn't be a permanent solution, but something like this would give you a nice picture shoot if you wanted a certain look for your anniversary:
    https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/shredded-in-6-days
    More along the style of the diet and water manipulation. Not sure how much the specific training would be needed.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Also, while I'm very sceptical of supplements, there's Yohimbine HCL that supposedly manipulates your beta adrenergic receptors that are responsible for giving up fat for lipolysis to make you lose fat more evenly spread out over your body.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    Okay....so let's assume I am somewhere around 6.4. Now, knowing that my abs do not "pop" like the examples I see for 6-8 percent. What do I do? How do I get them to pop?

April 9 is my 3 year so I planned on continuing to cut till then, but that was assuming I was around 10-11.

I gotta tag some folks...
    @usmcmp @stevencloser @senecarr @LolBroScience @vismal @ninerbuff @tincanonastring @SideSteel
    In my experience, I met a couple of guys who got ripped, but certain parts of their bodies (usually around the waistline and low back areas) still seemed to hold fat. A couple had lipo, which when having that low of body fat, produced TREMENDOUS results for them. I've gotta think that it's a genetic thing if it isn't just skin.
    Pinch the skin on your forerams, then on your chest, quads then on your abs and see if you feel a difference in thickness.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    There is some fat there (lower abdomen). It's like 3 parts skin to 1 part fat if that makes sense. If I am sitting the whole stomach area crumbles up like paper. Like there used to be like 1 big role. Now it's like 10 roles that don't have much fat in them.

I guess I will cut till April 9 and see then. If skin removal or lipo is needed at that point, I will weigh my options.

Freakin' depressing.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Yeah, I would have gone right to skin elasticity and hydration, too, and then muscle size/shape. It's tough to see in your avi, but I'm not seeing any type of pooch like the one you're describing. Maybe it's just a perception thing.

ETA:
    There is some fat there (lower abdomen). It's like 3 parts skin to 1 part fat if that makes sense. If I am sitting the whole stomach area crumbles up like paper. Like there used to be like 1 big role. Now it's like 10 roles that don't have much fat in them.

I guess I will cut till April 9 and see then. If skin removal or lipo is needed at that point, I will weigh my options.

Freakin' depressing.

Like on your knuckle?
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    If it is actual fat rather than skin you could try the protocols in Lyle McDonald's "Stubborn Fat Solution" which apparently gets good results.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Yeah, I would have gone right to skin elasticity and hydration, too, and then muscle size/shape. It's tough to see in your avi, but I'm not seeing any type of pooch like the one you're describing. Maybe it's just a perception thing.

Naw, just good camera work...

And it's not a pooch I don't guess. There is just this little bit there. Just enough to piss me off, honestly.

I have been making progress since I have been cutting for the last couple months. That turned into a very "light" cut cause well, apparently I suck at cutting... lol. It was easier when it was just losing weight. :)
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options

Freakin' depressing.

6.4% is great! If you've recently lost weight, it may take time for skin to tighten. Also do your abs look different first thing in the morning? Have you played with carbs or sodium to see if it could be water retention?

From what I can see you look great (not hitting on you, it's a fact), so don't be depressed!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If your profile photo is current I'd say there are 3 factors at play for your abs:

1. Low abdominal muscle volume.
    2. Extra skin (this is my problem).
    3. Most of those pictures are water depleted making them look shrink wrapped/shredded.

Following the water/carb manipulation posted above could produce the look you are wanting. It's similar to what bodybuilders do. If you do it and find you have a bit of droopy skin it would show you that there's extra skin and if the rest of you looks grainy except your abs you'll see that your abs hold all the fat.
  • Hornsby
    Options

ETA:

Freakin' depressing.

Like on your knuckle?

yea, kinda. Malleable like that... Squeeze it and it just kinda stays put for a second. I'm gonna video it...lol.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have very low body fat, even for a man. Congratulations!
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

ETA:

Freakin' depressing.

Like on your knuckle?

yea, kinda. Malleable like that... Squeeze it and it just kinda stays put for a second. I'm gonna video it...lol.

I think @usmcmp has it right about the muscle volume and skin. I like the suggestion of experimenting with carb/water management to see if there is a noticeable improvement.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    It could also be subcutaneous water under the skin. Best way to find out is a neoprene waist "trimmer". Try one, workout, and see if it looks different after you're done. Dropping water sometimes helps, and if it does you just have to stay dehydrated the rest of your life to be satisfied.;)

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

And it's not a pooch I don't guess. There is just this little bit there. Just enough to piss me off, honestly.

I have been making progress since I have been cutting for the last couple months. That turned into a very "light" cut cause well, apparently I suck at cutting... lol. It was easier when it was just losing weight. :)

Have you tried grabbing it, yelling at it, and seeing if it responds to 'dem feelz? >:)
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    From your profile picture, 6-7% seems about right to me. I'm no expert, but it could just be a genetic thing for you, and that area might look suboptimal without surgery no matter what your BF% is.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @ninerbuff

"Pinch the skin on your forerams, then on your chest, quads then on your abs and see if you feel a difference in thickness."

Did you by chance mean upper arms rather than forearms?
  • Hornsby
    edited March 2016
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Have you tried grabbing it, yelling at it, and seeing if it responds to 'dem feelz? >:)

All the time! It doesn't listen. :)

Here is a video..gotta click on it, sorry.

I'm sitting on my couch and tried to get it all in one place :) to show it. If I am standing it's spread and you can barely feel it and all abs are visible, but when I crunch like this, there it is. Under the waist line, there is no fat or loose skin. In fact I have both big veins on both sides for the adonis belt.

th_33EC8815-CD08-4E35-859D-2B0E87A12608.mp4

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    If your profile photo is current I'd say there are 3 factors at play for your abs:

1. Low abdominal muscle volume.
    2. Extra skin (this is my problem).
    3. Most of those pictures are water depleted making them look shrink wrapped/shredded.

Following the water/carb manipulation posted above could produce the look you are wanting. It's similar to what bodybuilders do. If you do it and find you have a bit of droopy skin it would show you that there's extra skin and if the rest of you looks grainy except your abs you'll see that your abs hold all the fat.

This is what I was thinking too..